1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best tonnaeu cover ?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by MaTundra NYC, Sep 13, 2015.

?

Best tonnaeu cover ?

1. retractable tonnaeu cover

72.7%
  2. tri-fold tonnaeu cover

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sep 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM
    MaTundra NYC

MaTundra NYC [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    NYC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CM Sunset bronze
    18' TRD pro rims. TRD rear sway bar Roll n lock retractable tonneau. ESP under seat storage Tailgate pop-n-lock handle Blacked out handles,mirror caps and badges tinted and smoked out...... #nomorechrome
    looking to get a retractable tonneau cover or a tri fold ?
    looking for the most best waterproof.
    I had pace edwards full metal jacket on my tacoma . had alot of water come in. i did like the function of the retractable cover.
    also had a bak flip was happy with it untill you have a small item that you must completely open.
    what do you cover your bed with and how water proof is it?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. Sep 13, 2015 at 7:55 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    If you want waterproof (or close to it), you can't beat what you have now. Hard hinged tonneau cover that covers the top of the bed side is the way to go. Of course, its functionality sucks.

By the way, you can't have completely waterproof bed. It has holes and drains, etc. all over. If you want completely waterproof set-up, you should really go with a SUV.

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Sep 13, 2015 at 8:18 AM
    MaTundra NYC

MaTundra NYC [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    NYC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CM Sunset bronze
    18' TRD pro rims. TRD rear sway bar Roll n lock retractable tonneau. ESP under seat storage Tailgate pop-n-lock handle Blacked out handles,mirror caps and badges tinted and smoked out...... #nomorechrome
    i know i wont get a 100% waterproof cover. was just curious which cover do you guys have and how water proof is it.
    And i love my Tundra. not switching to a suv.

4. Sep 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    RollBak VP and buy the tailgate seals from auto anything.

I love my VP, it is the best looking cover out in my opinion. I love it.

MaTundra NYC[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 13, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    2015 LIMITED CREWMAX 4X4

2015 LIMITED CREWMAX 4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Limited TRD 4wd crew max.
    Bed cover, spray in bedliner, tinted windows, black coating on wheels, blacked out grill and all other badges, 2.5" front leveling kit, rear Firestone air bags.
    I have the top end of the ARE brand which is a full, one piece hard cover that's painted to match the truck and I like it. It has heavy duty seals to keep the water out but I haven't driven it in a hard train yet, I'm in California! Taken through a car wash and it stayed dry inside. They make a tail gate seal that I heard works good but don't have one. I looked at the tri fold and roll back covers but wanted a water tight fit. Looks clean too. I'll try and post some pics soon.

6. Sep 13, 2015 at 2:45 PM
    tacouser

tacouser New Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Tundra Dbl Cab 4X4
    Bilstein 5100 rear, Klein train horns! Swing Case, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Bed LED's, Weathertech window visors and floor mats,Retrofit Source Fog Lights, Bakflip cover, Ford Rapter hood leds, Hellwig rear sway bar
    I had a solid one piece A.R.E. Color matched cover on my 2012 Tacoma. I would say it was 95% water tight. It was heavy to lift but looked really nice. I just ordered friday a Bak Flip F1 tri fold cover for my 2015 Tundra. Im hoping its as good as it supposed to be. I let you know once its installed.

7. Sep 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM
    2015 LIMITED CREWMAX 4X4

2015 LIMITED CREWMAX 4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Limited TRD 4wd crew max.
    Bed cover, spray in bedliner, tinted windows, black coating on wheels, blacked out grill and all other badges, 2.5" front leveling kit, rear Firestone air bags.
    Chphilo and Tacouser I agree with you both. The hard cover looks good and clean but would need to be removed if you wanted to move anything big. It is the best bet for keeping water out though. I finally got a pic up now.

8. May 10, 2016 at 8:57 PM
    16DblCabTrd

16DblCabTrd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver SR5 Double Cab
    Retrax Pro MX
    Love the Retrax....but not 100% water proof20160502_140300.jpg

9. May 11, 2016 at 1:08 AM
    r4z0r51o

r4z0r51o have fallen off the forum, but I’m still alive.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northeast San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Sky Metallic Crewmax 5.7L TRD 4x4
    22x12”HostileRage/33”NittoRidgeGrap/StealthFighter/FOX-BDS
    What's more important to you ... Weather proofing or functionality? My old Nissan Frontier had a one piece fiberglass A.R.E. cover that was pretty good at keeping the bed dry and secure, but was a pain when trying to carry stuff taller than the sides of the bed. I'd either have to take the cover off (not a one person job) or use bungy cords to hold the cover down. This time around on my Tundra I bought an Undercover Flex cover. I've only had it a little over a week so can't really comment on how well it will hold up to rain and all. First small storm last week and so far so good. The main reason I went with the Flex was for functionality. Trying to take a full size (5.5 ft) hard cover wasn't going to be easier than on my smaller Frontier, so the foldability appealed to me. As far as being secure ... I think my old A.R.E. made me feel better, but I never keep anything of value in my bed for long.

10. May 11, 2016 at 4:15 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    I had an American Roll full metal retractable on my old truck. Not 100% waterproof but much better than my PACE switchblade retractable. But also about twice the price.

Products Discussed in

To Top