1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best streaming service apps?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TTU19, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Nov 14, 2018 at 7:45 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    So I wanted to ask if you guys can recommend the best streaming service apps out there, what do you like? I recently got a new 4K tv, so I'm looking for something that has the most 4K content, but realize there isn't all that much yet.

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO GO..... ?

Wanting to try one and just didn't know who to go with. What do you like?

Thanks..!

2. Nov 14, 2018 at 7:56 AM
    fairclothr1

fairclothr1 Here and There Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sand Mica Tundra TRD
    Plasti Dipped grill and badges. Shorty antenna.
    It's all going to depend on what type of content you are looking for and what you like to watch. I have not had cable/satellite since 2010, only used Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. But, if you want more of the cable type experience, then you have options like DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Playstation Vue. Not sure which is best for 4K specifically, but, all may offer some content.

3. Nov 14, 2018 at 8:15 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    I was mostly just looking for something with a good variety of things; movies, shows, etc.

You know, the whole cutting the cable thing seems cool, just dont know enough about the best way to go about it and what all those apps offer. I'm doing research, but would need live local tv, news, etc. Wife watches a lot of Lifetime, Hallmark, ID. I watch mostly History, Cartoon Network, live sports. I assume a combination of them would get all of those, huh?

I got a 30 day free trial of Sling TV with my new tv, I need to set it up and check it out.

4. Nov 14, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    fairclothr1

fairclothr1 Here and There Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sand Mica Tundra TRD
    Plasti Dipped grill and badges. Shorty antenna.
    Local you would just switch over to your antenna and watch live. Otherwise, you'd have to look at the show offerings of both. Netflix rotates fairly regularly. They are losing Disney offerings (which includes Marvel movies and Star Wars) sometime next year I believe b/c Disney is starting their own service. I have found that if you are willing to be up to a year behind on shows, Netflix and Amazon do well enough for me. If you want more current shows from some of the networks, Hulu has them.

I have no experience with Sling TV, as I haven't looked for much outside of Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

Good luck in your hunt for the best fit. Watch out for buying into too many, as, every $7-14 starts to add up and you could end up in basic cable/satellite cost range quickly.

Cheers!

5. Nov 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    I have had Sling TV for a little more than a year now and have been happy with it. I really only wanted it for Monday Night Football but I find myself watching the other channels as well. The only problem I had with Sling was the constant buffering but an ethernet cable fixed that.

6. Nov 14, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    I use YouTube TV and Philo - though I'm not sure if either do much with 4K. YouTube TV has a pretty good spread for sports and local programming, and Philo has everything your wife watches. I think YTTV runs $40/month and Philo is $15.

7. Nov 14, 2018 at 12:37 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    No cable or Satellite since 2010.
    -Antenna for all local channels. FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and a handful of others.
    -Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

We primarily watch Netflix and Hulu. I have Amazon only because I already have Amazon prime, so it's one of the perks. We probably have the following breakdown as far as usage.
    Netflix- 30%
    Hulu- 60%
    Amazon- 10%

If you are already an amazon prime member then you already have amazon prime media. If you're not, then I wouldn't become a member just for the streaming service.

8. Nov 14, 2018 at 1:34 PM
    Skippy

Skippy Standing for the Flag

Member:
    San Antonio US of A
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 1794
    I cut the cord a while back, and now just cut my cable bill in half by switching carriers. I'm paying $15 per month for more channels than I can watch to include all premium channels, local networks, pay per view, and anything else you can think of. Go to alienstreams.net, and you can sign up for a free 3 day trail plus see a list of all their channels. I also have Movie Play Red which is free, and is VOD. It has every TV show ever made, and movies

I have Firesticks along with an Android phone, and can answer any questions in regards to those. Real easy to set up

9. Nov 14, 2018 at 1:44 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    Buyer beware, alienstreams.net is essentially a pirate service... not that I'm judging :) Just don't be surprised if that gets taken down without notice.

10. Nov 14, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    DirecTV now for live streaming with cloud DVR and Netflix/HBO GO for series/ movies.
    4K service is usually premium as far as VOD content.

11. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    So far from everything I've looked at and who carries the channels I'd want, either PS Vue, or DirecTV Now would be the best to go with. Hulu may be the next best option, but missing ID and Hallmark, two of which the wife watches all the time.

I looked it up and we're paying $145 for DirecTV, $83 for channels, $40 in equipment, plus fees. Yikes..

I initially just wanted to add maybe some cool stuff to watch, but now I'm thinking of ditching it all together and "cutting the cord" like everyone else. PS Vue alone with all the channels and HBO/Showtime is only $79. Still half what I'm currently paying.

fairclothr1 likes this.
  12. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    FoghornTX

FoghornTX Proud American and Infidel since 1968

Member:
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Camry XSE (Black w/blackout package)
    I've had DirecTV Now since it came to market. I use it with an Amazon Fire TV device. Works very well. Zero 4k currently available.
    I also have Netflix w/o 4k subscription. I do know that Netflix offers some 4k content.
    The movies and such on Netflix still look amazing on my UltraHD/4k TV without being true UltraHD/4k.

TTU19[OP] and TheBeast like this.
  13. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    if you ATT unlimted data plan on your phone, directv now gives you $15 or $20 back...I joined last year and pay $10 a month for DTV now basic package with HBO !
    I think now with the mobile plan discount it's still a good deal.
    they also sent me a free Roku 4K

I watch on ipad, iphone, roku, apple tv and Amazon fire TV.

TTU19[OP] likes this.
  14. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    BHarry

BHarry New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BRM CM TRD
    I dropped Direct TV years ago and haven’t looked back! I use Netflix primarily as they have the biggest and best selection, but others are catching up. We have prime also but that was mostly for shopping, but they have a pretty good selection and I’ve seen quite a bit of 4K stuff on their line up. I just started Sling (so I could watch more Lakers games) and it has been good, but the different options can add up quickly. I also am using an antenna for local channels and I use Kodi to stream what ever else.

Honestly cord cutting can end up being quite a bit of work and the individual services can add up. If I had to simplify, I would probably go with an antenna and Netflix.

TTU19[OP] likes this.
  15. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    My problem is the wife, haha. I could just get something simple and be done. But she wants this and this and this, and if I dont get them, I'll be in a world of trouble.

BHarry likes this.
  16. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 [OP] Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    I may have to give DirecTV a call and ask about all that. I'd nee something like the Roku for the bedroom tv. Living room I can stream through the TV, or the 4K player, and my office is a smart tv too.

17. Nov 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Philo is one of my streaming services along with Hulu and Amazon. I really like Philo. I pay $20 and get over 40 quality channels. No sports. That's why it's so cheap. Sports programming adds a hell of a lot to streaming, cable, and satellite bills. I quit watching anything ESPN. I get enough sports free over the antenna. I did decide to add Starz to my Hulu for $5 additional a month.

18. Nov 15, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    There’s a lot of choices out there. A few of my friends use IPTV services like Crown, pay a monthly $15 sub and get everything you can think of including major sports, UFC and anything PPV through 3rd party, can’t be legal. It’s the new school method replacing the old shady FTA satellites.

Our family just uses OTA antennas and Netflix.

19. Nov 20, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    619tundra16

619tundra16 New Member

Member:
    Netflix , hulu, Amazon here... I've toyed with the idea of trying youtube tv...

20. Nov 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    riley804

riley804 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 toyota tundra
    we watch tv via IPTV and get season pass for football, baseball, hockey, basketball, UFC Fights, soccer, premium channels and about 400-500 other channels for $25 a month. everything that your local cable company would show, we get those channels as well . you wont get your local news, but we use Antenna for that....

Berdine likes this.
  21. Nov 20, 2018 at 3:03 PM
    okieblow

okieblow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    If you can't find all the channels your wife wants on the streaming services or don't want the hassle of switching, call DirecTV and ask them the process to drop internet and satellite and ask if they will come remove the unsightly dish on your house because you want to switch back to cable (or go with Dish ) due to the high price. When I did this two months ago they quickly changed the subject to "what they could do for me" and I ended up with faster internet, more channels and paying $83 total a month, which was half what they had just increased my bill to.

TTU19[OP] likes this.
  22. Nov 20, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    Berdine

Berdine Voodoo Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Binghamton, NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 VooDoo Blue Trd Sport

More info on this

23. Nov 20, 2018 at 4:24 PM
    riley804

riley804 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 toyota tundra
    what would you like to know ?

with the one IPTV service we have now, you have to load it onto a android device of some sort.....we do the Firestick.....

24. Nov 20, 2018 at 4:26 PM
    Berdine

Berdine Voodoo Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Binghamton, NY
    Vehicle:
    I have 3 firesticks, use cinema and kodi, pay forDirecTV, but I'd like to ditch it

25. Nov 20, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    riley804

riley804 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 toyota tundra
    when I tried Kodi, most of the channels needed to be updated or didnt work.....so gave up on it.

here is the app and you have to download it onto the firestick. $25 a month and if you dont like it, you just dont pay for it......you could go on vacation and cancel, come back home and re new it. its nice having all the sports you want.

there are times when some sports dont work, but there are more channels to pick from.

https://apkpure.co/nora-go/

Berdine likes this.
  26. Nov 20, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    Berdine

Berdine Voodoo Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Binghamton, NY
    Vehicle:
    Awesome thanks, going to check it out