1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best place to tap into dash light circuit?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RowdyRon, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Nov 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon [OP] Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    I'm getting my plans in order to install a Stealth 32" light bar, from Headlight Revolution, in my 2015 Tundra grill. I plan to use all the components with the kit, except for the light switch, which I plan to get from AirOnBoard to give the install a more OEM look. My question is where is the best place to tap into the dash light circuit? I want to have the switch illuminated along with the rest of my dash/switches when I have my lights turned on. My initial plan is to tap into the circuit at a neighboring switch's location (door light switch or headlight leveling switch unless the blank switch location has wiring connector behind it for the blank) and to find the power wire by checking the wires to it with a multimeter when the lights are turned on. The new switch would be on the lower left side of the dash to the left of the steering column. That way I only have to unscrew the lower left side bolt that holds the lower dash on to gain access. Is this a good plan or is there a better place to tap into my dash light circuit? Thanks for any help!

2. Nov 25, 2015 at 2:46 PM
    Cutter29

Cutter29 ...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White TRD PRO
    295/65 Duratrac, 20% tint, Clazzio, Nfab, Leer XQ,
    Subbed for the same info. I haven't got around to hooking that wire up yet.

3. Nov 25, 2015 at 6:48 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar, - HID Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards, - Headlight leveling retrofit - P1 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall. - 3/1 leveling kit - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling, - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock (soon) - Remote Tailgate mod (soon) - LED Headlights (soon) - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit
    Pretty much every OEM switch on your dash has an illumination wire. I usually just tap off of the nearest OEM switch to where I'm installing the new one.

RowdyRon likes this.
  4. Nov 25, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    TNTundra08

TNTundra08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4
    3/1 lift. 20x9 Method standards, machine face. 305/55/20 nitto trail grapplers
    I just shaved off a little bit of insulation from the tow haul button, Soldered the light bar backlight wire to the tow haul one and electrical taped it back up.

I used a volt meter to figure out which was the back light, I wanna say it was a green color.
    image.jpg

RowdyRon likes this.
  5. Nov 25, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    TNTundra08

TNTundra08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4
    A tap would probabLy be simpler but the wires were suuuuuuper little and I didn't have any on hand so I did it that way

RowdyRon likes this.
  6. Nov 26, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Thanks for the replies and pictures, Gents! Does anyone know if the blank switch locations have wiring connectors behind them in the harness?

7. Nov 26, 2015 at 7:55 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Is that an AOB switch you used? Looks great, by the way.

8. Nov 26, 2015 at 1:02 PM
    TNTundra08

TNTundra08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4
    Yes AOB, I wanna say $23 a piece. I thought I had a picture of them lit up. I did red back lighting to match stock, then the image lights up green when turned on.

Then for your question when you pop the square piece out that has the blanks there was nothing back there, a cluster of hires maybe 4 inches away and only the 2-3 wires needed to reach the tow haul button. There is plenty of room to work with. I used a coat hanger to shove my wiring down below the dash and did most my work under the pedals since my light at wires ran through the rubber grommet on the driver side(if that's what you meant)

9. Nov 26, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the added comments, Blake. I was wondering if the blank/unused switch locations have the wiring harness for the switch/option that would normally be in that location. Doesn't sound like it is... I'll proceed with my plan to tap into a neighboring switch illumination wire. Thanks again for all the help!

10. Nov 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    Cutter29

Cutter29 ...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White TRD PRO
    295/65 Duratrac, 20% tint, Clazzio, Nfab, Leer XQ,
    I didn't see any extra wires behind the blank on mine. Access and install was pretty easy to figure out by using common sense. I ran my wire harness through the firewall plug, hooked up the switch to test then pushed it into where the blank was. Super easy. Just haven't taken the time to hook up the back light yet.

image.jpg

11. Nov 26, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Cutter29!

To Top