1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best option for Headlight replacement

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jibber, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Aug 11, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    Jibber

Jibber [OP] New Member

Member:
    What brand have you used that are as close to OME assembly. Are you satisfied? Mine are hazed out and need replacing. I believe the resurfacing is a waste of money, you?

2. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    Shephard_Of_The_Tundra

Shephard_Of_The_Tundra DIY try guy

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tundra SR5 4.6 DC 2WD
    Morimoto 2 stroke H4 LED Headlight Bulb VLEDs 3157ck Amber Triton V6 TurnSignal Auxito LED reverse bulbs OEM Toyota LED smoked fog lights Auxito LED T10 license plate bulbs Auxito LED T10 Side marker headlights LASFIT LED T10 3rd brake light Xenon Depot T10 LED Bed/Brake Lights TRD Off-Road Black/Chrome Wheels Bridgestone Duellers 255/70/R18 Front & Rear TRD Sway bars MBRP Dual side exhaust exits Drop-in K&N air filter TRD air flow accelerator Toyota Rubber floor liners OEM Rear under seat storage box Kenwood DMX7706S head unit TRD Shifter knob Center console organizer tray Dual USB fast chargers center stack
    Spyders are what most people get. However, I have had mine for about a year now and the top of the lenses are peeling...granted I dont clean my truck very often nor do I polish it...

3. Aug 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Was pleasantly surprised with the Mcguires Headlight restore kit. Got them back to 95% or better. $20 and an hour or so, much cheaper than new.

4. Aug 11, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    What year truck do you have?
    2018+ LED tundra or sequoia lights are very nice for OEM replacements, not cheap though. A lot of guys seem to like spyders with an hid kit installed, not led, HID. Retrofits are always a great option but again pricey. All.of the above will offer better than OEM halogen lighting.
    Also you could likely restore your lights and put on a couple coats of 2k clear coat to protect them.

5. Aug 11, 2019 at 6:42 PM
    ldvknight

ldvknight New Member

Member:
    Stick with you factory OEM Toyota headlights, just use a good restorer on them. I used SYLVANIA - Headlight Restoration Kit on my 2007 and they turned out great! For my Tacoma I purchased a aftermarket set off Amazon and they had spider cracks all throughout the lens within the firs year.

sf319 likes this.
  6. Aug 11, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    They thing about most restoration kits is that the gloss and clarity does not last. You need to protect them after with some kind of clean coat, and not the clear that comes in some kits. You need a lacquer finish, clear coat, or 2k clear. Then use a UV protective product on the lights moving forward

7. Aug 11, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Anything is better than stock. My 2014 headlights suck like my 07's did. We put several astronauts on the moon but Toyota can't make decent OEM lighting without upgrading......:mad:

Pudge likes this.
  8. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    sf319

sf319 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM Barcelona Red SR5 5.7
    Dash Cam|PowerStop Z36|DIY bed rails|DIY Pop-n-Lock|LED interior
    OEM direct replacements are best. But if you want aftermarket, verify warranty and read reviews, of course remember the cheap ones are a 50\50 chance of working for a year then you'll be back looking. I bought a $200 pair off Amazon and never could adjust them, the warranty was 30 days and couldn't return them. I ended up getting OEM replacements from @Roman at cool springs Toyota.

Roman likes this.
  9. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting

Products Discussed in

To Top