1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best and cheapest way to lift another 1-2in?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 1stgenike, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Dec 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    1stgenike

1stgenike [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra
    Yo guys.

I have a 2003 4x4 Access cab that is currently leveled on the 4th notch with bilstein 5100s and a diff drop. All else is stock. (rear will be getting lifted, but I know how to go about that)

I am looking to acquire about 1.5" more of lift in the front but want to make sure I do it correctly. Besides new UCA's, what is recommended to go about gaining this extra inch or two in the front without compromising reliability and ride quality? What are you guys running? Budget is ~$800.

I am sure this is posted somewhere but I could not seem to find it, thanks a lot.

2. Dec 21, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Not sure there's much room for more lift upfront without really stressing the angles. You run out of droop up front eventually unless you relocate the lower control arms with a cradle. The RCD and TC lifts use a new cradle to accomplish more lift up front. Neither will be less than $800. 3-3.5" lift is max stretching it up front for the first Gen. It won't be ideal with that much lift, but some do it. 2.5-3" is where most people top out. New front springs can get you some additional lift. OME and I believe Eibach both make a spring that adds some lift up front. You can use them with your 5100's.

3. Dec 21, 2020 at 10:54 AM
    1stgenike

1stgenike [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra
    Thanks for the info, I figured I would run into some major issues requiring me to make some major changes. I'll coninute to research with new springs.

4. Dec 21, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    You don't want to go that high with this method. Your cv axles won't last, your ball joints won'tlast, your alignmentwill be super twitchy. If you are on the 4th notch and want more your only options are a body lift or go with the RCD 6" lift. Body lift is within budget but isn't everybody's cup of tea.

What are you looking to do with this truck? What is the reason to go higher?

Stuck in the '00s and des2mtn like this.
  5. Dec 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    I'm curious to know the truck's purpose and reason for going higher as well. What size tires are you running?

If you are wanting to lift for ground clearance - get taller tires. Going from a stock tire to a 31" or 33" diameter will give you some lift in addition to the ride height increase from the suspension.

Body lifts also won't give you any more ground clearance. I looked into them briefly and quickly turned away, anything more than a one inch body lift on these trucks seems like a huge hassle.

Stuck in the '00s likes this.
  6. Dec 21, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Body Lift - it is better because cost is very low, life is very long and center of gravity is raised about 1/3 only because heaviest components (engine/trans/TC/Diffs/frame) stay attached to frame and at same height, only the body and a few lighter components move Up, so a 2" body lift only raises center of gravity about 2/3". Luck.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/body-lift-for-03-tundra.1858/

7. Dec 21, 2020 at 1:55 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Best OR cheapest? Like other have said, knowing why you want the lift and how you use your truck would help us make worthwhile suggestions. If you want increased ground clearance, you’ll need “best”, which > $800: larger tires, potentially different suspension components. But if you just want looks and don’t plan to do much off-road, you can do a body lift, < $800.

Products Discussed in

To Top