1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bedliner issues? deck rail benefits

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by doughboysigep, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Mar 2, 2017 at 4:25 AM
    doughboysigep

doughboysigep [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    I have a Rhino liner and really like it. I would preferably want/get one in my new Tundra. Many come with a bedliner (& some with deck rail system). Aside from a bed liner being "slippery" are there any other downsides to them (like long term rust issues, etc.). Also, is the rail system a big benefit or not really worth it (I do go to the dump every month or so and need to bungee/net the load down)?

2. Mar 2, 2017 at 4:47 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Crewmax Chris Paper Airplane Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 DoubleCab
    My Tundra is the first spray in liner I've had. It's a hell of a lot less slippery than new paint! I think it's great and wouldn't want anything different there. I got the rail system but I didn't use it. It sounds like it would be very helpful to you though. The tie downs and the rails are good quality. You also don't lose any bed space. The only concern that I had was putting on an inside the rail tonneau cover. But they make them that fit. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, I say!

3. Mar 2, 2017 at 5:19 AM
    Polly3685

Polly3685 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Sky Metallic SR5 TSS Off-Road
    TRD exhaust and intake. Pocket fender flares. Line-X: chrome grill, chrome bumpers, fender flares, rocker panels. Deck rail /w tie down cleats. Undercover Swing Case x2. All weather mats. Stereo system with custom underseat sub box and TacoTunes recurve EZQ.
    Never had an issue with my bed liner being slippery.

As far as the deck rails...mine didn't come with them and I got a set added. They are great if you need to tie things down often which it sounds like you do. The cleats are heavy duty and adjustable. You can even get an extra set to go on the cab end of the bed. You just cant torque down on them hard with ratchet straps. The actual metal rails that attach to the bed are only so thick so can only handle so much pressure so don't go crazy. Anything reasonable will not hurt them. Highly recommend.

@Crewmax Chris is right though, you will have issues with some toneau covers. I would think if you are hauling stuff very often you probably don't use one anyway.

Crewmax Chris likes this.
  4. Mar 2, 2017 at 5:23 AM
    doughboysigep

doughboysigep [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    I do have a cover now (use it for trip when weather might be iffy and in winter to keep snow out of bed) and would like one for the Tundra but it is one that sits on the rail (but does need to clamp underneath). I will check out the rails on the trucks I am looking at this weekend.

Crewmax Chris likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    caboose

caboose -1

Member:
    somewhere in the USA
    Vehicle:
    tundra dc trd
    ride rites w/ air compressor, trd pro grille, decked bed storage, nfab rkr rails w/steps, remote start.
    Cant you move the rail system down a bit so it will work with a toneau cover?

6. Mar 2, 2017 at 8:13 AM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.
  7. Mar 2, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    Fishin1981

Fishin1981 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra limited crewmax
    Pop and lock, esp storage, access lorado, front tints
    I have a access lorado cover with the rail system. You have to order it specially for the rail system. Works great

8. Mar 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM
    scpete24

scpete24 Duuuuuuude

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro Super White
    I have the spray in bed liner and it is not slippery at all. In fact I think it holds my coolers and gear from sliding around better than just the paint and much better than a plastic drop in. You can also specify how "textured" you want the bed liner for a smoother or rougher surface.

As for the tie down rails, I have them and when you need them they are great. When you don't, you won't even notice they are there. I also put bed lights in the back under the rails which I really like.

IMG_0047[1].jpg

9. Mar 6, 2017 at 6:18 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    You could but you'd need to drill new holes to mount it.

10. Mar 6, 2017 at 6:31 AM
    040Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    I just installed the BAKFlip Revolver X2 and I didn't have to drill new holes for the bed rails in order to use them with the tonneau cover.

ChucklesToy likes this.
  11. Mar 6, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    Boodles07

Boodles07 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC OFF ROAD Quicksand
    I had no idea this would be an issue, I have bed rails, didn't really care either way but they were included, my bedliner is not installed yet, should I just have them spray one in? I like plastic for sliding my ice shanties in, they have skis and was thinking these might tear up spray in liner, but I also want a tonneau cover and was hoping this wouldn't interfere, are the tonneau options more expensive because of this rail system?

12. Mar 6, 2017 at 6:51 AM
    040Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    With the Revolver X2 using a drop in bed liner and the bed rails is no problem.

13. Mar 6, 2017 at 6:53 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    I have a factory drop in liner with the rail system on my 2017. I have a gator bi-fold hard tonneau cover. When I ordered it there was an option for the rail system. No extra cost. The cover uses the rail system to attach the cover and you can still use the rails to attach stuff. I'll post pics this afternoon after work.
    If I want to remove it it takes about 10 mins. The install was super easy, no drilling, took about half hour.

14. Mar 6, 2017 at 7:14 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:

Like I said above, some are made to fit. Some have larger clamps to hold it on. My Bakflip fit with it too.

15. Mar 6, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    This is also my first spray in bed liner - it came with the truck. And my truck has cargo rails, Toyota OEM bed LEDs and I have a Extang Solid Fold 2.0 tonneau. First, my spray in bed liner is somewhat course/rough and since this is new to me, I thought a bed and tailgate mat was in order. I've had a Bedrug bed liner before, so this time I added a Bedrug cargo mat and tailgate mat. The Bedrug is not slippery and actually keeps things from sliding, but its also easy on the knees if you have to crawl around the bed while loading boxes, furniture, etc. When the bed was sprayed, they did not spray over the attachment holes. Upon delivery, I had the dealer install Toyota's bed LED kit which come on with the cargo light. As far as tonneau covers go, I had the BAK Roll-X on for a while. BAK provided the kit to lower the cargo rails because they use the cargo rail holes to mount their tonneau cover rail system and the cargo rails attach to brackets they provided to lower it. I ended up selling it and going with the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 because it attaches to the cargo rail and can be easily removed completely. Also, my truck came with rails on 3 sides (driver side, passenger side and cab end).

All of my previous trucks had drop in liners and I had to take measures to tie everything down. I really like the setup I have and the spray in protects very nicely.

16. Mar 6, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    FirstGenTundra

FirstGenTundra R2R

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra TRD
    I can't comment on the bed liner as mine is plastic but I love my rail system, by far the best mod to the truck I've made yet. I use it all the time. Very practical.

ChucklesToy likes this.
  17. Mar 7, 2017 at 7:00 AM
    Boodles07

Boodles07 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Specifically which gator model do you have?

18. Mar 7, 2017 at 7:14 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    Gator evo. IMG_0929.jpg

Boodles07 likes this.
  19. Mar 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    Boodles07

Boodles07 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bifold or trifold? Is the bifold too limiting? Trifold gives you entire bed access.

20. Mar 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    The only drawback to the bi-fold is that you can't drive w it folded up against the cab. You can drive with the back half folded up, it has straps to secure it.

It also comes off all the way real easy. The clamps up front don't require tools to remove. Takes about 3 minutes to remove and it's pretty light.

The main reason I have it is so I can leave stuff back there without worrying about it getting stolen.

Products Discussed in

To Top