1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed cover/cap idea

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Mtun16, Jan 20, 2018.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Cap

66.7%
  2. Cover

33.3%
  1. Jan 20, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    Mtun16

Mtun16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra
    Exterior 6" Dominator Running Boards Tailgate Matte Letter Inserts Rear LED Flood Light Blackout Emblem Badges Interior Center Console Organizer/Tray Suspension 3/1 Toytec Suspension Lift
    I'm curious to see what could come of this. I've been in Alaska for about two months now and I'm seeing a mix of caps and bed covers and had an idea. I don't know much about designing new things and I'm not really worried about someone stealing the idea and making millions off it if it works out, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a flat bed cover that would convert into a cap...? You would have the best of both worlds!

I was thinking a bed cover that folds open from the middle to the sides and underneath the top would come up and rest on top of the two sides. Obviously there's more to the design to hold it up, but anybody good at computer designing or crafty enough to come up with something?

2. Jan 20, 2018 at 2:46 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Transformer style...:transformer:

SouthBoundSteve and Mtun16[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 20, 2018 at 3:11 PM
    Mtun16

Mtun16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra
    Exterior 6" Dominator Running Boards Tailgate Matte Letter Inserts Rear LED Flood Light Blackout Emblem Badges Interior Center Console Organizer/Tray Suspension 3/1 Toytec Suspension Lift
    You're going to be the one to steal my idea and make millions haha

I probably won't ever make it come to reality so if someone else makes it for the benefit of other people, especially Tundra owners, I'm happy. :thumbsup:

4. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Instead of having a seam up the middle it would be better if the top is all one piece. Opens and closes like a typical one piece tonneau cover. But then if you unhook something up towards the front of the cover you can raise the front up to cab height. Then there would be two solid panels that are mounted underneath the tonneau that would fold down and secured to the bed rails. Windows and all if you want. Also a drop-down front window and rear window. It would probably take up a lot of bed space, but still i’m sure there would be enough room to store quite a bit in the bed. There’s a company that makes bed covers out of ABS plastic. Light and durable. If they could make something like this as well as insulate the panels, that would be pretty cool.

Mtun16[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    :popcorn:

Mtun16[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Making one like a softtopper sounds a lot easier.

7. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    Mtun16

Mtun16 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra
    That's actually a lot better and wouldn't be a bad design. Make both and double the profit? o_O

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I’m just the idea man! Definitely not a designer. But I can picture it!

Products Discussed in

To Top