1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Camper experience?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Bulldog9, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Feb 6, 2021 at 10:21 AM
    Bulldog9

Bulldog9 [OP] "My other car is a Porsche"

Member:
    NOVA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO in Cement
    see sig for mods.....
    Hey All.

I'm in my final decision mode for if I am going to invest in a slide in bed camper or pull behind popup like the OPUS.

Not looking for the peanut gallery and opinions/lectures on payload capacity, but real world experiences. Would love to see recent input on who has a bed camper, what your experience is, lessons learned, models used, pros/cons etc.

Retirement is likely late 2022, and I want to be set and ready to go. If I do a Bed Camper will be towing a small utility/motorcycle trailer, if I do a popup camper, will do a front receiver for a motorcycle carrier.

I have a 2017 TRD PRO DC.

2. Feb 6, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    @Skey44 should be able to give you some insight on this.

3. Feb 6, 2021 at 7:15 PM
    Skey44

Skey44 GreenvilleOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    Lift, tires, wheels, roof rack
    893778DB-C8C4-4A26-BADE-E2301AABF755.jpg 80A20616-A3BF-484C-B58F-D465AC66ABD1.jpg7DF2A895-3919-40AF-A14D-C8757D3C95FF.jpg
    I picked the FWC up at MainlineOverland in August almost a year after ordering. Love it for one to two night stops and very easy to drive once I got the suspension sorted. I have the raven shell model with an alucab shadow-awn. The shadow awn is awesome but was a bit to install due to the weight. Would not have gotten the roof rack as it’s way to high for reasonable access imo. Also creates a place for limbs to grab. I have a small roof puncture but I’ve been on some too tight trails with it. Dobinsons suspension is great. The heavy leaf pack is great while it’s on. I couldn’t tolerate the Timbren only, too rough riding because it was always on the overload spring. E-rated tires are a must too. I skipped airbags due to potential for maintenance. Total weight is 7400 lbs or so without water food and humans.
    Downsides are you have to drive it everywhere so no base camp. Really depends on your needs. I basically camp one to two nights a place and look for off-grid dispersed camping. Showers are typically at a truck stop and infrequent as I travel solo so far except an overnight with my daughter. Also if you get into a full blown camper I personally think it would be too heavy for my comfort zone with a Tundra.
    Must have options for me: 2x fans, Insulation liner, furnace, awning, king bed.
    Pm me with any specific questions!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Aldudley5, drobb and Wallygator like this.
  4. Feb 7, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    PermaFrost

PermaFrost New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM MGM SR5 TRD
    Should have just bought the Platinum!
    I love how low profile this set up is - and the swing out bike hitch too! Thanks for posting this up @Skey44

Skey44[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 7, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    Skey44

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    I actually don’t like the swing hitch. Would recommend the kuatv2 or just a hitch extension/riser. The rackattach is robust but hangs really low.

6. Feb 7, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    PermaFrost

PermaFrost New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM MGM SR5 TRD
    Should have just bought the Platinum!
    Does it ever drag if you're on a steep incline / burly road? I'm currently rocking a KUAT NV 2 and have it paired with a Yakima Backswing and haven't encountered that - but I'm also not carrying a camper yet either.

7. Feb 7, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    Skey44

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    It will drag to get to the types of camp spots the four wheel camper and tundra can get to. Lesser camping rigs park closer to the main road. When all the normal spots are full there’s usually a few you can find that have some kind of gate keeper obstacle and this is the scenario I’ve found it to drag, and of course if you actually wheel your camper. Also it is very heavy and has a lot of leverage being so far behind the axle.

8. Mar 1, 2021 at 8:20 PM
    Pardonmyn00b

Pardonmyn00b New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra
    Awesome setup Skey44! Im have been eyeing the FWC also, actually decided on a tundra to do a FWC setup. I just like how compact and simple they are, I just don't want to have a massive TT to tow around especially the locations I go to ride.

I was at a local dealer the other day and they are a year plus out to order one.... what are your thoughts on doing a FWC and towing a small enclosed trailer for my two adventure bikes...( I'm still doing research and learning only had my 18 CM for about a week)

9. Mar 2, 2021 at 4:59 AM
    Skey44

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    I think that is doable. I wasn’t satisfied with the stock leafs and I have the shell model which is the lightest. You’ll definitely need a heavy leaf pack IME/O especially if you want to tow too. My weight is around 7400lbs when loaded, and I wouldn’t hesitate to tow 2-3k lbs with my setup and the camper.
    When I bought my FWC it was a 12 week lead! But then they sold a crap ton of them that day and the lead went out to 5 months and then covid... so it took 9 months. I love the setup. It’s incredible the quality of shelter you get to take with you to remote places. I mostly have camped solo so far and usually only stay at a camp one-two nights. I think the FWC is an awesome choice for some, but others may not be happy with the setup. I like to cook outside under the awning, I’m ok without a bathroom, and I recognize once I’m camped I’m not moving. I usually only camp in a place for 1-2 nights and move on. Done NH to SC in it on pickup, SC-AZ-SC over thanksgiving, and a handful of weekend trips so far. The furnace is awesome. I needed a 1.5” foam topper for the mattress to sleep soundly. I’ve been in 30+mph winds at night and made it. The only thing I didn’t buy but would have was the thermal pack. The upper tent material needs some help when you get down into the 20’s or below. And I wouldn’t buy the roof rack. I have removed mine because it’s too tall. My awning is amazing but it took a lot of planning and some fab to get it on there.

Medinasmoke likes this.
  10. Mar 3, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    Pardonmyn00b

Pardonmyn00b New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra
    Awesome! thank you for the great info! I will hopefully be getting one on order soon!

Skey44 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top