1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery issue 2019 Limited Crew Cab

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by PHXTFR, May 25, 2021.

1. May 25, 2021 at 9:46 AM
    PHXTFR

PHXTFR [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Limited Tundra 4X4
    Looking for some thoughts/advice on an unusual issue with my OEM battery.

I went to turn my 2019 Tundra on Sunday morning, all appeared normal until I went from on to start. In start, the vehicle shut down, I repeated the sequence and the battery light flashed. I let the truck sit for a few minutes, repeated, and ended up with the same result. I checked the battery with a multimeter, 12.4 result.

Ended up disconnecting the OEM battery for about an hour while I went to Costco to buy a new battery. Installed the new battery and all has been fine. Prior to installing the new battery, I tested with multimeter, 12.7 result.

Given the OEM battery is 24 months old and I live in AZ, it's not shock that this occurred. Vehicles I have owned in the past will provide a warning, vehicle does not turn over right away. What has me puzzled is the multimeter reading comparison, 12.4 should have been enough to start the truck. I read several posts, and I don't know much about batteries, but is it possible the issue had something do to with the cold cranking amps?

May be unrelated, but I had the fuel pump recall work done on 5/14, multi-point inspection did not note a problem. I also notice the truck's vehicle security indicator light flashing - I think this is okay, but don't recall noticing the light prior to Sunday. Thought the vehicle might have gone into immobilization mode - but don't know what happens when this occurs.

Any thoughts on what happened are appreciated.

2. May 25, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    I had issues with my OEM battery as well. Part of it was not driving regularly. I picked up a battery tender to help offset this until I can replace it (I just need to install the new battery)

3. May 25, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    tttrdpro

tttrdpro Former Naval Person

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWGA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    In progress…
    Did you test the battery while you were trying to start the truck? Your old battery probably had a bad cell that broke down under load.

RitcheyRch likes this.
  4. May 26, 2021 at 9:36 AM
    PHXTFR

PHXTFR [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Limited Tundra 4X4
    Prior to the initial post I did not test the new battery under load, I did this morning, 13.4. Per your post, I'll assume it was a bad cell. When I return the OEM to Costco, I'll ask them to test it.

5. May 26, 2021 at 9:51 AM
    jsteph89

jsteph89 The wish list continues to grow

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Leer 100XL camper shell, Magnaflow exhaust, ProComp 3/1 level kit, 285/55R20 Falken Wildpeaks AT3, WeatherTech mats, full led interior swap,
    I’ve heard the stock batteries are poor. My wife had a 2016 tundra and after 2 years it went dead also. Luckily I haven’t had any issues with my 2019 yet but wouldn’t surprise me if it gave out soon.

6. May 26, 2021 at 9:57 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    Yup. I bought my Tundra new, off the lot, in December of 2016. I'm running the OEM battery still. I checked the cells for the first time last week and the water is at the appropriate level in all the cells. I live in Alabama where it has been known to get a lil bit hot. But I do employ proactive battery long life practices.

Products Discussed in

To Top