1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Banks pedal monster

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by bf7527, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Jun 4, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    bf7527

bf7527 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2020 Smoked Mesquite 1794
    Bed cover, UWS undercover toolbox, Weathertech floor liners, nfab bars, Goodyear Duratrac Takeoffs from Dealer
    Has anyone tried this? It’s been popping up all over my social media pages as an advertisement. Thoughts? I have a bone stock for now 2020 1794. I have noticed the throttle response isn’t quite as touchy as my 08 tundra. Feels sluggish at times.
    I’ve read through several threads on the pedal commander, but haven’t seen much on the “Banks” option.

2. Jun 4, 2021 at 6:34 AM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    Haven't heard of that one before. Many threads on throttle controllers: PedalCommander, HikeIt, and iDrive are the 3 that members have been using and they essentially all like them. Do some research and buy from a reputable company

Black Wolf and Saltyhero13 like this.
  3. Jun 4, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    cctxquicksand

cctxquicksand IG - TRDistheWrd

Member:
    How does this compare to a pedal commander? They are very similarly priced and for that price I think I would rather go with the more reputable brand like PC

rockmup likes this.
  4. Jun 4, 2021 at 7:23 AM
    TucsonTundra1794

TucsonTundra1794 ASCM #6-11 I'll buy if you're willing to ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 Edition TRD Package
    Banks has been around forever, their diesel stuff is no joke. I would say the product will be good based solely off reputation. I have the bullydog gt and I love it, I only see subtle changes as my tundra is practically bone stock when it comes to performance but shifting is much smoother now and no more governor.

gabex35, mikesTundra77, HAMi and 2 others like this.
  5. Jun 4, 2021 at 7:37 AM
    bf7527

bf7527 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Bed cover, UWS undercover toolbox, Weathertech floor liners, nfab bars, Goodyear Duratrac Takeoffs from Dealer
    From what I've read, the difference is that the Banks system uses power from the OSBII port vs drawing its power from the pedal itself, which they claim all of the competitors do. If there is an overdraw in amps, the competition will cause Check Engine lights to come on and in some cases a loss of power at the pedal. Essentially a dead pedal with no throttle response what so ever. For those with the Pedal Commander, have you experienced any issues? Just trying to do my homework. I ordered an OME suspension with rear leaf packs yesterday, so the bug has me now. No telling when it will arrive. Half the components are on backorder from Toytec.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    farm&forest and cctxquicksand like this.
  6. Jun 4, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    Red Dragon

Red Dragon New Member

Member:
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona Red Limited TRD
    I've been thinking of installing the Bulldog GT. How long have you had it installed? What type of changes have you noticed?

7. Jun 4, 2021 at 12:59 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    No issues at all with my Hikeit X9. The tiny sub miniature mount microchip used in the PC, Hikeit, iDrive, etc only draw microamps. Not even remotely close to tripping a check engine light.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    alb1k and bf7527[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  8. Jun 4, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    TucsonTundra1794

TucsonTundra1794 ASCM #6-11 I'll buy if you're willing to ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 Edition TRD Package
    The GT doesn't need to stay in the vehicle so I just used it to tune then pulled it out. It only needs to stay in if you want to use the screen to display different readings like torque, air/fuel ratio, sensor readings. I chose to do the performance tune and the throttle feels a lot smoother and the shifts are a lot quicker. If you've ever driven in beast mode it's the same end result without the whiplash shifting. I can pull from a dead stop to 80 about a half a second faster then stock which doesn't sound like much but you can feel it. They say gas milage goes up a little but honestly I drive my Truck pretty aggressively and haven't really paid attention to whether it happened or not. When I was setting up my GT I preloaded 3 tunes on it so whenever I want to I can change it from performance to a tow tune or back to stock, there was also a MPG tune. The tow tune mellows out the throttle response so it doesn't try and shift gears if you go over a bump and press the pedal In a little. MPG tune keeps the throttle mellow and moves the shift points a little higher I believe. Overall I'm happy with it.

bulldog93 likes this.
  9. Jun 4, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    TundraJeff305

TundraJeff305 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    It’s been popping up on my FB daily. I went on there website to check into it but it doesn’t look like they have one for the 2021. Banks is a solid company I’d buy anything they make based on reputation alone.

619Tundra likes this.
  10. Jun 4, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    AGSport

AGSport New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    21’ AG Sport
    I have one on my 21’ with an Idash. It really “woke” the truck up. The stock pedal feel was just so sluggish. I don’t have any experience with the pedal commander, but I feel that the banks pedal monster would be a better buy from what I had been researching. I had been keeping an eye out for banks to release this and glad I went with their product.

bulldog93, Leo's first and bf7527[OP] like this.
  11. Jun 4, 2021 at 7:32 PM
    bf7527

bf7527 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Well, I thought I’d be the guinea pig and try it out. Couldn’t help myself and ordered one today. Looks like you beat me to it. I’m looking forward to seeing the difference. Though I’ve become a little easier on the throttle as I’ve aged, I do like to open it up every now and then. My old 08 Tundra was much more peppy and it had 35’s, a winch and bumper on it.

TNCountrygal likes this.
  12. Jun 4, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    AGSport

AGSport New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    21’ AG Sport
    I think you’ll be happy with it. I installed the pedal monster without telling my wife, she noticed it right away now she wants to drive the truck all the time, dang it. I had a highly modified diesel before this, so I needed something to wake the tundra up.

TNCountrygal likes this.
  13. Jun 5, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    vq35721

vq35721 New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 040 SR5
    Too much to list
    I know a couple of people that have it. They are loving it

Blowdart, TNCountrygal and AGSport like this.
  14. Jun 8, 2021 at 9:04 AM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock with trail boxes
    How different is it to tow/haul mode?

15. Jun 8, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    Hello,

We have had all great feedback on Pedal Commanders and they are a great plug and play solution at a great price point.

It would be best to talk to Keith about pricing and options. He is out of the office most days, but is always available via phone. You can call or text him anytime at 760-877-4234. He does take many calls and texts a day, but is very good at getting back to everyone.

Thanks, Shawna, DDI

Pedal Commander.jpg

16. Jun 11, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    AGSport

AGSport New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    21’ AG Sport
    Tow haul is touchy all the time. The pedal monster can be set to stock pedal feel under 10mph then “kick” in. I’m sure it’s very similar to the pedal commander with all the different settings, but I like how it’s powered through the OBD port, 12V instead of 5V.

https://youtu.be/eSLRuJueWGk

Blowdart and 619Tundra like this.
  17. Jun 11, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    bf7527

bf7527 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    I installed mine the other day. Haven't really had a chance to play with it too much. I cranked it up all of the bars in city mode and it made a huge difference. Made it feel like my old 2008. I did it half way on sport mode and it came alive. I haven't tried "Track" mode yet. I'll play with it some more this weekend and update.

619Tundra and AGSport like this.
  18. Jun 11, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    AGSport

AGSport New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    21’ AG Sport
    Track is really touchy, and fun. I typically keep mine set halfway on sport for normal driving.

19. Jun 29, 2021 at 9:17 PM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    How is the pedal monster treating everyone?

20. Jun 29, 2021 at 9:34 PM
    bf7527

bf7527 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    So far so good for me. I played with it a little after I got it, but have since just kept it halfway on the city setting. Definitely an improvement over stock, and I’m pretty moderate on the throttle in my older age. Just wanted a bit better throttle response. More like my 08 tundra. I haven’t had any issues

21. Jul 1, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    ToyFan

ToyFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    2021 Tundras are now supported by the Banks PedalMonster. Here's the link. https://www.bankspower.com/i-3041 Something that no one in the thread has mentioned, the PedalMonster is the ONLY throttle booster that returns you to stock sensitivity in reverse. We (Banks) patented it. If you decide to try one, I'd love to hear your review.

22. Jul 1, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    ToyFan

ToyFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Yes, the PedalMonster is similar to other throttle boosters in that it adds sensitivity. But the PedalMonster has a few huge advantages over Pedal Commander. As others in this thread have noted, PedalMonster is powered via 12v from OBD, not the low-overhead 5v pedal circuit. Now, it's not a huge problem with Toyotas, but in RAM and Jeeps, it's a big problem. If you tap into the pedal circuit and draw more than 20 milliamps, the truck's ECM flips out and deactivates the pedal completely, throwing a check engine light. Another advantage to the PedalMonster is that it's the only module that knows what gear you're in, returning you to stock throttle in reverse. It's a patented safety feature.

Y0TA PR0, bulldog93, Blowdart and 2 others like this.
  23. Jul 4, 2021 at 7:07 PM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Besides better sensitivity, does it help on improving 0-60?

24. Jul 5, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Although many have found a 0-60 improvement, we (Banks) have not made any formal claims. For quicker 0-60 times, we have tuners, intakes, and exhaust systems that actually do increase performance in a measurable way. The PedalMonster is designed to increase throttle response and the overall driving experience. We've yet to install one where the owner didn't smile from ear to ear afterward.

25. Jul 5, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Well, would love it if there's data, I've driven ecodiesel with pedal commander and the improvement of 0 to 60 was often 1+ second.

If you guys offer tunes for newer tundra I'm sure many of us would like that, I've already got headers, gears etc, so I like any mods allow to go faster.

26. Jul 5, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Our 0-60 improvement will be the same or better than Pedal Commander. If you're happy with Pedal Commander, stick with it. However, the PedalMonster is different in a few key ways. First, it doesn't draw power from the 5v pedal circuit like all other units. For example, RAM, Jeep, and Dodge cars have very lower overhead on that circuit. The circuit is for reference only. It's not designed to power a module other than the plug itself. For that reason, Pedal Commander and many other modules set check engine lights or worse. The Banks PedalMonster solves this issue by drawing 12v from OBD, which has ample current overhead. And since we're on OBD, we can see speed and gear. That allows PedalMonster to put you back to stock pedal sensitivity in reverse. It's the only module with that feature... it's patented. We also offer adjustable speed-based trim. You can dial in how much added sensitivity you want below 10 mph. Again, a patented feature. And finally, we have ActiveSafety circuitry. If the module detects an issue, it defaults to stock throttle. When other units fail, it's anyone's guess what they'll do. They could fail to 100% throttle. We didn't want to risk that so we built in normally closed relays. PedalMonster is the only throttle booster with any safety circuitry. Crazy but true. We bought and tested every module on the market. We've had quite a few guys switch from Pedal Commander to PedalMonster for those reasons.

Blowdart, token2k6 and Leo's first like this.
  27. Jul 5, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Hi Jay, I dont have pedal commander in my tundra, I just want to know if you guys had any testings done on acceleration differences on gas engines.

What you just mentioned are good points, if it makes it accelerate faster, I'll buy it.

28. Jul 5, 2021 at 7:02 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Try it out. If it shaves time off your 0-60, keep it. If not, return it. I'd love to get your feedback, regardless. I'm at jtilles at bankspower dot com if you have any questions.

There are three kit options.
    PedalMonster stand-alone controlled by your phone: https://www.bankspower.com/i-3041
    PedalMonster with iDash SuperGauge: https://www.bankspower.com/i-3043
    PedalMonster with iDash DataMonster: https://www.bankspower.com/i-3044

Here's a quick explanation of the iDash: https://vimeo.com/554920078

bulldog93 and Leo's first like this.
  29. Jul 27, 2021 at 12:05 AM
    20Tundra_sauce21

20Tundra_sauce21 New Member

Member:
    Does the pedal monster work for the new 2021 models?

30. Jul 27, 2021 at 3:23 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    The standalone pedal monster is pretty competitive at $295 but $574 and $694 for the super gauge and data monster?!?!?! :eek:

20Tundra_sauce21 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top