1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Banks Pedal Monster

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Riverdale21, Jan 24, 2023 at 3:03 PM.

1. Jan 24, 2023 at 3:03 PM
    Riverdale21

Riverdale21 [OP] Speed seeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OTP ATL
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Dirt Deeds injectors, Addco rear sway, AEM dry flow air filter, last ever set of Stan's Try-Y headers, Borla full custom exhaust, front level, wheel spacers, and lots of electronics.
    Searched around before buying this and saw more of us using the Pedal Commander. Didn't see any 1st Gen posts using the Banks.

I chose the Banks over the Pedal Commander because it has options for reducing throttle sensitivity in reverse or speeds below 10MPH. Reversing into my small garage with a touchy pedal didn't sound like fun, neither would accidentally doing a burn out in the grocery store parking lot.

Adjusting settings can be done via the app or an optional guage/module, similar to the Pedal Commander. No splicing or cutting was involved, it simply plugs in between the factory pedal and harness, then plugs in to your OBD2 port. If you have the optional guage module you can use it for custom guages and/or throttle sensitivity adjuster. Took less than 30 minutes to install and calibrate, without the optional guage.

Over-all, modules like these behave as I expected. It will sharpen up your throttle response but it doesn't make your truck any faster. It's essentially spoofing your drive by wire throttle into opening more vs your actual input. At the higher sensitivity settings your transmission will also be constantly downshifting. And I am still aware that I need to re-gear to 4.30:1 for the off the line punch I'm really looking for.

It's a mere novelty and having a more responsive throttle is all you can really expect from it. For now I'll run it in a high city sensitivity with occassional switches to a mid level sport setting and that will suit my driving style just fine. I already have traction issues even with an LSD in the rain, so wet days or when my wife uses the truck it's just a quick matter of pressing the 'stock' button.

All told throttle boosters aren't really a bang for the buck type of mod. For some the price isn't worth the improvement.

20230124_160454.jpg Screenshot_20230124_161519.jpg

FrenchToasty and shifty` like this.
  2. Jan 24, 2023 at 3:22 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    SoAz
    Vehicle:
    06 phantom grey purrrrl Last of the Ridgelines 2010 4runner cold storm white
    our trucks aren’t terrible with the throttle lag like newer 4Runners are. I put a similar snake oil controller in our 4R and it definitely makes it more driveable

3. Jan 24, 2023 at 3:24 PM
    Riverdale21

Riverdale21 [OP] Speed seeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OTP ATL
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Dirt Deeds injectors, Addco rear sway, AEM dry flow air filter, last ever set of Stan's Try-Y headers, Borla full custom exhaust, front level, wheel spacers, and lots of electronics.
    My dad put a Pedal Commander in his '21 Taco. He says it made a big difference with response but with the trade off of his truck constantly hunting for gears.

IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg

FrenchToasty likes this.
  4. Jan 24, 2023 at 7:31 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra AC SR5 TRD
    I've considered one for my Lexus ES350. It has so much delay in throttle response and shifting. Its always in grandma mode (that's who they designed the car for anyway). I just haven't wanted to spend the coin on it.

5. Jan 24, 2023 at 8:24 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Remote start alarm Removed keyless entry piezo Qi phone charger & dash mount Subaru underseat subwoofer Hopkins Easylift Steering wheel audio controls No-tenna mod 3/4 adhesive anti-rattle shim D/S door
    I like the banks over the power commander for it's failsafe mode. Iirc it reverts to stock, not wot...

Riverdale21[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top