1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auxiliary input intermittently working

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TNTundra08, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Sep 11, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    TNTundra08

TNTundra08 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4
    3/1 lift. 20x9 Method standards, machine face. 305/55/20 nitto trail grapplers
    08 tundra, JBL head unit. Has the location to plug an auxiliary cord into and listen to ipod or whatever. I have an Iphone 7+, without the headphone jack so it needs a dongle (yes, its called a dongle, o_O) Anyway, using a brand new dongle and brand new aux cord and it will shut itself off and won't let me choose aux as the audio input. Some times it works, others it doesn't. Some times I can mess with the cord and get it to work and other times I can not. That's why I thought it was in the cord but everything is brand new and still no worky.

Anyone encountered this issue or ideas on reason? Hopefully just a loose or messed up connection between the radio and Aux plug because that easy/cheap. I definitely don't want to replace my radio head unit. Trying to get any possible input before I tear my radio out of the dash to figure out what's up.

JBSTOY likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2017 at 2:05 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    The port itself may be bad is my guess. I think I had something similar on my Tacoma when I had one.

3. Sep 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    If it's like the 3rd Gen Tundras, the Aux source menu option is enabled by physically plugging the phono cord into the Aux jack. (One of the jack spring contacts is displaced by the jack plug and completes a ground circuit).

So you likely have either a faulty jack connection or your dongle plug isn't big enough (...that's what she said!)

Try plugging in a different phono plug if you have one and see if the HU Aux option is activated or not. That will help determine if it's the jack or the dongle.

Also make sure the aux cord is a stereo cord and not a mono cord.

JBSTOY likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    TNTundra08

TNTundra08 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4
    3/1 lift. 20x9 Method standards, machine face. 305/55/20 nitto trail grapplers
    Correct in the fact that It only activates when it is plugged in. I used this cord for a short while before now. It started to give me issues to I replaced the cord, used this one for a while and it still have issues but it's gotten worse and almost can't use an sux cord at all so I know my cord is fine. I think like Sean said, my port is bad and isn't making that ground connection you mentioned when I plug it in so it doesn't realize it's plugged in.

JBSTOY likes this.
  5. Oct 4, 2018 at 7:04 PM
    Tornado Bones

Tornado Bones New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4 5.7
    I think you might be on to something... mine is also weak/intermittent power, irrespective of my selection of cords, chargers or ports. It just started a couple of weeks ago. It's acting exactly like a weak ground connection. I've repaired faulty electronics on motorcycles, 4Wheelers, tractors and trucks. Most of the time, the same inexplicable weak/intermittent characteristics turned out to be a faulty ground connection. There must be a wire to the body or frame somewhere. We've had the wettest summer on record. My truck has been more of a boat lately, which can be hard on the ground wires. I'm going to try to look for a corroded or fouled ground wire. I'm still going to splash every puddle, though!

6. Oct 4, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Just being observant of your postings, what an odd machine gun way of necrotizing multiple threads about a similar topic. I suppose this wakes up all who subscribed in each thread, clever. Good luck finding a solution!

7. Feb 22, 2023 at 1:30 PM
    JBSTOY

JBSTOY Was tired, so I woke up.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Unknown Origen
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 5.7litres of goodness
    Bilstein 6112s Front Bilstein Rear Fuel Rims
    I know this was like 5 or 6 years ago but did you ever find the solution? Mine is doing the same exact thing. I think it is the jack on the instrument panel that is the issue. I tried new cables and dongles but it only works intermittently. Thanks in advance.

Products Discussed in

To Top