1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATV/UTVs and accessories

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by caboose, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Mar 12, 2021 at 7:51 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road

Seems like it’s priced to high. Also make sure when you buy one online you get proof they legally bought it, either they have a certificate of origin or a bill of sale to a business you can call and verify. A lot of atvs get stolen ans then sold on various websites then the person who owns it finds out you have it and you have to give it back and you don’t get your money back. Just an FYI

-t

Oey12, TOYOTRD8[QUOTED] and GODZILLA like this.
  2. Mar 13, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I'm having a hard time researching ATV's online. I don't know if it makes more sense to buy new or used. Some of the used Honda's are almost as much as new ones.

I haven't owned an ATV in 20 years so I'm not sure where to start. Is Honda still considered one of the most relaible? What other manufacturers should I consider?

I'm looking for something mid size with 4x4 for trail riding. Really not interested in all the bells and whistles that some have such as power steering. Any tips would be appreciated.

3. Mar 13, 2021 at 6:18 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Used is a gamble because so many are abused, or haven't had proper maintenance. If you're looking at trail riding, and not a crazy sport machine you can keep costs down by sticking with a smaller cc engine. That'll be your biggest savings.

Unfortunately, some of the nicer features for trails like curved A arms or better shocks are frequently packaged into the higher trims that have the bells and whistles you said you don't need. It sucks, but it helps them sell the higher trims.

As far as brands, Honda and Yamaha are great for reliability. Can-Am usually has huge potential to build a rig, but lacks some durability right out of the box. Polaris has mixed ratings on reliability, but they also have such a huge market share that more reported issues are expected. If you just want a machine to run as advertised and not need a bunch of mods to perform well, then Polaris isn't a bad option. They're also built in the USA, if that matters to you.

Regardless of the brand, a proper break in and maintenance are the biggest factors in reliability.

Are you looking for a 4 wheeler, or a SxS?

4. Mar 13, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    Simply put the Yamaha Grizzly is the Tundra of the 1/2 ton world. Honda is similar but a little further behind in tech. I am intrigued my self by the Suzuki King Quad which all so seem very reliable. Polaris and Cam Am offers many more bell and whistles but at the cost of reliability. I know a few owners that loved riding them...when they worked.

Unfortunately new is the best way to go. People are asking extremely ridiculous prices for machines that were beat to S$&@ these days.

5. Mar 13, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Grizzly and Kodiak are both good. And the same basic platform but different tuning. Grizzly is better at higher speeds, and the Kodiak has more low end grunt for work. Kodiak is a bit cheaper too.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Oey12[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    Absolutely! Completely forgot about the Kodiak...I have a 2013 Grizzly which is basically a Kodiak.

Wallygator likes this.
  7. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I would LOVE a side by side but from what I've seen they are almost as much as a new car. I'm not dropping $20K on something.

I was looking at this Kodiak 450 online. They also sell Honda at this location.

https://www.hondaofknoxville.com/Ne...odiak-450-Honda-of-Knoxville-9782271?ref=list

Are most new quads fuel injected now? Another question, I'm guessing having independent rear suspension improves the ride but also the cost over a solid axle in back?

8. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    I believe most are fuel injected...but each manufacturer is different for each model.

Side by sides can get stupid expensive but you can get a decent one from Honda or Yamaha for about 12,500 to 15k. These are mostly trail machines. I love my Grizzly but a entry level side by side is hands down more comfortable. However the riding experience is much different...

FirstGenVol[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 13, 2021 at 10:17 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Depends on what you want. I know JD and Kubota have a couple around 10k.

10. Mar 13, 2021 at 11:06 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road
    I believe most modern quads are fuel injected.
    Pay extra for the independent rear suspension, as you will more stable when riding on more technical trails. I would also spend more for power steering, your arms and shoulders will thank you later. I’m also a huge fan of automatic transmissions, but whether you want that will be up to you, it’s just easier not to have to worry about shifting.

I have had Honda ranchers in the past and loved them , but this time around I bought a can am outlander. It has the features I wanted at a lower cost, but I’m having issues with stalling and have had the issue since I bought it new four years ago. The tires it came with also suck bad and the shifter is really rough and a pain. If I had to do it over again I would have spent
    More to get a Honda again , much better quality ans there is a lot to be said for the electronic shifting Honda offers ! I would strongly advise you to stick with Honda, you cannot compare the quality. I literally drowned my last rancher, it stalled in the massive muddy puddle I thought was shallow, the water was over the seat and as soon as we winched it out it started right back up again. My friend tried the same with another brand a year later, before I could warn him, and his needed extensive work to get the engine running again.

-t

GODZILLA and FirstGenVol[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Mar 13, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    Stroke250

Stroke250 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford F-350
    No snow but lots of rock today and got into some mud. They did cake up a bit in some nasty stuff but still pulled through it.
    6F358D3A-490D-47A5-A0F9-DB1F188D1525.jpg
    79EF9D69-17C0-49CC-AC23-139EA2E68D1D.jpg
    57355B1D-EBE9-4563-B069-DFCF98BFEB41.jpg

12. Mar 13, 2021 at 6:12 PM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    I would recommend buying new if possible.
    As others have stated the Yamaha Grizzly is a hands down a tried and true reliable rig. can't go wrong.
    The Hondas have less tech, less features, yet carry a premium price tag. Haven't innovated anything in powersports since the 700xx (2008).
    Polaris has always lacked quality, feel, designed cheap and suffer from reliability issues.
    Can-am ATV's have bulletproof reliable engines (that is why they use the same engine platform in both ATV+ sxs) the fit and finsh is top notch. There tech, can have issues
    Suzuki King Quad- Great value. If you aren't set on a brand and not looking for best of the best, I would strongly encourage this as a consideration.

13. Mar 13, 2021 at 6:14 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Some can be that expensive, but it also depends on the model. You can get a utility/recreation type for much less than $20K. You not wanting bells and whistles makes this even easier.

Take the RZR Trail Ultimate that I just bought. MSRP is $16,999. The place I bought it put it at $1k less than that, but then had a $909 street legal kit on it. Everywhere else was MSRP to start. That's the top end of their 900cc 50" line. The RZR Trail Sport (Not S - those are wider and more money) has a starting MSRP at $13,399. Not too shabby. These are also the beginning of the "sport" SxS classes that are faster and such. The less sporty SxS units can be had for even less. Other brands have competitively priced models too, so don't think your stuck with Polaris.

Some of your more Utility based SxS are below $10K, but they aren't going to be super fast or plush. Take a look at the Kawasaki Mule line up. https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/side...?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-PRODUCTGROUPLIST-_-VEHICLE You can get a 4x4 at $8,199 to start.

If you want a bit less of a farm work type and a bit more fun they have the Teryx https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/side...?cm_re=GLOBALNAV-_-PRODUCTGROUPLIST-_-VEHICLE and it's at $13,199 to start.

Yamaha has the Wolverine X2 https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/recreation-side-by-side/models/wolverine-x2-r-spec-850 for a similar price to the Teryx or intro RZR trails.

Now all these may still be over your budget, but only you know that.

All in all, you have to decide what are the must haves, what you are going to use it for, and what the overall budget is. Questions to consider:
    • Where will you use it? Are there width restrictions that you need a narrow machine for?
    • How will you use it? Is it going to do work like hauling/towing or plowing snow? Will it be used for recreation, and what kind? Sand, rock, hard pack, mud?
    • How much are you willing to spend? This one gets a bit more complex if you really look into it. Things to consider when looking at cost
      1. Vehicle cost - No brainer, but start here.
      2. Taxes, title, fees - Again simple, but you have to pay them so they need to be accounted for.
      3. Accessories - What are you going to add to it to make it work for you? A plow? Tow rope? Winch? Storage bins/boxes? Light bars? A cover? This one adds up fast.
      4. Transporting it - Whether you go with a 4 wheeler or a SxS you will have to load it. Straps and ramps for a quad, or straps and a trailer for a SxS.
      5. Maintenance - Are you doing the work yourself, or taking it somewhere? Either way you will have to pay to play.
      6. Safety - A first aid kit, spare tire, and tools are all good things to have out riding. Better safe than sorry.
      7. Gear - A bicycle helmet isn't going to do you any good here. You need a proper full face helmet, and depending on the type of helmet you might need goggles, too. Gloves, boots that cover your ankles, and long sleeves are also recommended.
    Sorry for the novel. There's just so much that goes into picking a machine that will be suited to you and your intended uses.

14. Mar 13, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    That's pretty sweet. Looks like a good time. Not surprised to hear they caked up in mud. That seems to be the one downfall to the AT tires, but I am not a big fan of mud. It can be fun to splash the puddles from time to time, but it's generally not worth having to clean it up afterwards. Thanks for the pics and info. If you find any major pros or cons to the tires, do let me know.

Stroke250[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 13, 2021 at 6:34 PM
    Stroke250

Stroke250 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford F-350
    I don’t like mud either as I get older. Most of the stuff was dry today, but we went through some low spots. They did seem to clean out quickly.

GODZILLA and stuckinohio like this.
  16. Mar 13, 2021 at 6:38 PM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    Mud is fun at the time, but after a few times spending more time cleaning than riding, you realize it's not worth it.
    Not to mention all the extra wear and tear to be "big bawls Billy" in front of your buddies.
    I ride in alot of clay type mud and once it dries, it's like concrete. PITA

GODZILLA and Stroke250 like this.
  17. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    @FirstGenVol You might look at this just for something that isn't coming from owners with biases. It's long, but there is tons of good info. If you dig through these guys' vids you will learn tons about the geometry, why the wheel offset matters, and so much other stuff. I should clarify they only deal with SxS and are geared toward the racing stuff, BUT they do comment and give info on manufacturer practices. Like how you have to do add ons to make a Can-Am durable....

https://youtu.be/asxKnEW70cA

FirstGenVol and stuckinohio like this.
  18. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.7k Supercharged 2008
    Had the ham in the snow for the first time today, snow duning is awesome :D

PXL_20210313_205314839.jpg

19. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:22 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Making me jealous over here! lol

I can't wait until I get more days off that I don't have to adult. I just wanna go riding!:burnrubber:

snivilous[QUOTED] and landphil like this.
  20. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    @AzureNightmare. Shock Therapy has some great insight on the current UTV setups. I agree with Polaris currently being the best out of the box setup. That being said, it has taken lots of warranty and quality issues for Polaris to be where they are currently at. Not to mention the o-ring issues that resulted in complete UTV meltdowns in the past. I do applaud them for the leaps and bounds they have made. Going back in time the Scrambler 500s and outlaw 525s were really the best of the original Polaris company. I was disappointed Honda ripped off the outlaws IRS on their 700XX however i feel like karma got them due to msrp and the 2008 recession.

Full disclosure i have both Yamahas and Canam's and they havent let em down yet.
    The Canams do have their quirks. Some reliably is sacrificed in the name of performance.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  21. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Oh, Polaris has definitely had their time as a complete shitshow, and I wouldn't by anything they made that was all new. The two I bought were done after researching the powertrains and finding that they are established and have the kinks worked out. These kinds of toys are too expensive to buy with out digging into them to be sure they aren't garbage. I paid for jumping the gun a bit on the RS1. It's so limited and I just didn't think on it enough before pulling the trigger. Solid machine, super fun, but if I had taken more time I would have bought a different machine. Even still, I would still have made the mistake of buying a wider machine, and I'd be right where I am with a wide fast one and a narrow trail runner.

For raw potential it's really hard to look anywhere but Can-Am. Out of the box it won't take a beating very well, but if you beef up some components, and wrench on it some... Those things are just out of control. I was torn for sure, because the Can-Am has a great style as well. Their big machines just look impressive. In the end I realized I wanted to buy something that I could just drive. I didn't want to "build" anything. I just want to get in and go, so the Can-Am wasn't right for me.

I was really looking at the YXZ for the Yamaha reliability and so I could keep up with my brothers 4 seat RZR Turbo. In the end it, and other sport SxS, were just too much money. Hilarious to say that now as I have 2 of the damn things in my driveway, but I think I've found my forever hobby.

22. Mar 13, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    stuckinohio

stuckinohio MGM Crue

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    oHIo
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    To be transparent, Canam was notorious for denying warranty claims, yet released newer designs that addressed said warranty issues. My 2012 commander has straight cut gears that howl at high mph. The maverick rear diff addressed that with helical cut pinions. I appreciated the attention to warranty but not at expense of the consumer.

GODZILLA likes this.
  23. Mar 13, 2021 at 8:01 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    How're those tires treating you? Did you need to do anything to account for added height and weight? Clutch or gearing?

24. Mar 13, 2021 at 8:11 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Every manufacturer has hiccups. I think things like that are where Can-Am got the reputation that you had to build it to run it hard. I know that the Shock Therapy guys talk about how lots of their bolts aren't double shear so that is another point where they can be improved. For all that, guess what they race? A totally built out Can-Am. You really can't beat them if you are building a rig.

If you are keeping it stock Polaris is ok, and there are tons of accessories due to their popularity. Yamaha and Honda are pretty bulletproof, but they aren't going to run the fast stuff as well as the Poo-laris or Canned Hams because of the rear geometry. Kawasaki is a nice compromise. Solid build quality, good geometry for whoops and such, but it's not pushing the same power you can get out of Hams or Poos.

Another thing lots of people don't consider when they go blasting their machines in reviews is the fact that they might have screwed them up. Until I watched through a bunch of the Shock Therapy vids I had no idea how badly you could screw up your handling and ride by getting new wheels and tires. It's a simple thing and we do it to cars/trucks all the time, but on these... holy crap can you cause problems. That's why the "That brand is bad" or "My machine is garbage!" reviews for anyone have to be vetted. Lots of times it's idiots modding them poorly or using them in ways they are not meant to be used.

stuckinohio[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Mar 13, 2021 at 9:40 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    They are the same height and weight as the stock coyotes so no clutching needed! I haven’t even driven on them yet TBH

GODZILLA[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Mar 13, 2021 at 9:44 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Oh damn. I didn't know they put anything that big on stock. That's pretty sweet.

PLC721[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Mar 16, 2021 at 11:44 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Hey guys. Hoping to pick the brains of those who are more familiar with accessory manufacturers.

I found a nice looking box for the rear of my new RZR Trail. It's the Jemco PZ6 https://www.jemcocargobox.com/pz-6-cargo-box and it looks to be a great option.

Well then I found a Moose PZ6. https://www.mooseutilities.com/products/606727

As far as I can tell, they are identical boxes, but the Moose is generally listed for $30 less than the Jemco. Any gurus here know why? Any of you have experience with these products, or others from these companies? What are your thoughts?

***UPDATE*** On further research I don't think I'll be willing to do either of these boxes. To install or remove the box I'd have to remove a section of the rear cage each time. That's a lot of work to get to the air filter. :( I guess I'll likely go with the stupidly overpriced Polaris 69Qt box. It doesn't have the same space, but the sides stay open, so I think I can still keep a couple gas cans there.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  28. Mar 17, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    Check out Tesseract and see if they have a storage bin for you, or maybe Super ATV?

GODZILLA likes this.
  29. Mar 17, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I'll have to google tesseract. Thank you.

30. Mar 21, 2021 at 4:13 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.7k Supercharged 2008
    Well the wife yeeted too hard yesterday and rolled the ham :D funny part is her parents are here and she was driving her mom around, so her dad never ended up getting a ride (a few years ago I rolled my Ultra4 in the same area with my dad, so my mom never got a chance to ride too!). Full rollover, not just a flop. She said some guys were nearby and came over and about 30 seconds after it happened it was rolled back onto all fours. And then to add injury to insult, nothing really broke but she started driving and the flag pole had broken so the flag got sucked up into the CV and popped the boot off the diff side (didn't even tear the boot, but it was throwing grease).

Besides the CV boot needing a new hose clamp, the roof was bent in a bit (I fixed about 90% of it just hitting it though) and then our HAM antenna may be totalled. Otherwise nothing hurt at all! Not even a dented body panel! Mirrors just folded in too. Honestly the most expensive thing is probably getting a new flag haha! First time shes gone over in anything, and it wasn't even with me around and I've rolled/flopped all our other off-road vehicles at one/multiple times. She makes me proud :D harnesses and cage and helmets did their job and turned it into a story instead of something bad, can't have a better roll than that!
    PXL_20210320_214137085.jpg

FirstGenVol, PLC721 and GODZILLA like this.
To Top