1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATF Screen/Filter O-Ring

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Buckaroo, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Jun 5, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7L 4WD DC TRD
    2020 GD 2670MK Travel Trailer
    Getting ready to change the ATF & filter on my 2017 Tundra. Toyota Filter/Screen part 35330-60070. Does it come with the o-ring or do you have to buy it seperate?

2. Jun 5, 2021 at 3:34 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    It should but not if a screen not sure why you would bother. I dropped pans on F150s and changed fluid every 30k. If a paper filter I replaced but never a screen. I have owned 8 or 9 Ford trucks and put over a million miles on them with no tranny problems at all.

3. Jun 5, 2021 at 4:33 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    It does not come with an o-ring... I just bought a strainer, o-ring and oil pan gasket.. 07 Tundra.

4. Jun 6, 2021 at 3:55 AM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Exactly what I needed....thank you - will buy the o-ring, too. Also getting the pan gasket.

5. Jun 6, 2021 at 4:35 AM
    triharder

triharder Sorry, Not Sorry

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    Billstein 6112/5160's, coachbuilder spacer on driver side/ 20" rockstar wheels/ 33" nitto ridge grappers/SS Brake lines (or as most people write Break), Painted Calipers/Powercoated Tow hooks/pocket flairs/heated seats,bed leds/line-x liner/xtang trifold/tow mirrors/Stereo Work/Compustar Remote Starter/ retrofit Morimoto Minin H1 and switch back LEDs/ plenty I'm forgetting
    The pan gasket is silicon. It doesn't need to be replaced as it won't stick to the pan or housing.

But, if your worried about it you could buy it/order it at dealership (depending on distance) and return when you can re-use the one you have.

Remember to gear up for broken bolts. Two are blind, rest are through and if you live in "OHIO" you will break them all. (I hope it doesn't happen but believe it will).

I did this years ago and unless you have a known issue are you sure you want to do this? Get yourself under that truck and see if the through bolts are rusted. If they are (most likely), you really need to decide if you want to do this.

Good luck

6. Jun 6, 2021 at 4:48 AM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    The truck is almost 4 years old, 42,000 miles and I do tow a heavy camper. I thought I would do it now hoping the bolts would still come out. Planned on hitting them with PB Blaster and using my 3/8" impact wrench. I will coat them with anti-seize before I reinstall. When yours broke off, could you still get on the stub with vise grips or did you have to drill them out?

7. Jun 6, 2021 at 5:23 AM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    Billstein 6112/5160's, coachbuilder spacer on driver side/ 20" rockstar wheels/ 33" nitto ridge grappers/SS Brake lines (or as most people write Break), Painted Calipers/Powercoated Tow hooks/pocket flairs/heated seats,bed leds/line-x liner/xtang trifold/tow mirrors/Stereo Work/Compustar Remote Starter/ retrofit Morimoto Minin H1 and switch back LEDs/ plenty I'm forgetting
    Mine snapped flush with the housing, so i had to 1) grind the bolt shaft flat so it wasn't walking the drill, 2) center punch the bolt (hopefully in center as you don't want to cut/drill the tranny house housing and 3) drill out slowly using incremental drill bits, fast speed lots of lubricant, no pressure (you don't want to break the bit). Then you can grab some of the threads and pull out and through, but clearance is tight and exposed threads are low.

However, i smelled like tranny fluid for 2 weeks as it was showering on my head and down my back while i did this (i was lucky enough to use a lift) drill them out, luckily i didn't have to helicoil them as i got lucky and was able to extract them once drilled. However, they are grade 2 bolts (very low quality metal) they might break before you even push the impact trigger. They are 1/4-20 size bolts and torqued to a 8 in-lbs i think. the impact to break the torque will just snap the head.

I think i'd install cover while i worked on the bolts next time. I replaced with stainless steel bolts, but @130k miles now and very, very limited towing will only replace fluid from now on.

I didn't know they were thru bolts so i didn't inspect or pb blast them on my 2010 tundra (new to me in 2014 with 90k) in Maine. Our try to cut/dremel/grind the rusted bits flush before attempting to remove the bolt.

If you can see the exposed threads and they are rust free maybe you'll get lucky?

Use your own judgement here but:
    Toyota considers the fluid under heavy towing to be replaced at 60k. They never list the screen as requiring replacement.
    (if you call them they will tell you fluid is life of vehicle, my dealership considers life of vehicle to be 100k).

Philogynist and Buckaroo[OP] like this.
  8. Jun 6, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the insight...will maybe regret it but I am going to give it a go - will let you know how it turns out.

9. Jun 6, 2021 at 7:28 PM
    Sumo91

Sumo91 Busy with projects

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Tundra Platinum 4x4
    Bilstein 8112/8100 3.25in lift Dobinson leaf springs 2.1in lift Level8 MK6 wheels Big ole dent in bedside
    My gasket broke upon removal. It happens. Better to be prepared and have an extra

10. Jun 6, 2021 at 7:31 PM
    Sumo91

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 8112/8100 3.25in lift Dobinson leaf springs 2.1in lift Level8 MK6 wheels Big ole dent in bedside
    The filter, imo, is a waste of time to replace. I won't be changing mine again until 1 million miles, if I have the truck that long. I changed it at 173k miles and had virtually zero material inside of it. At that rate, it could go millions and millions of miles before filling up and clogging. The trans would have to be running really rough and be burning through clutch material to fill the filter up before a million miles. The magnets barely had anything on them either

TILLY likes this.
  11. Jun 6, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    Oats87

Oats87 Dirt Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    A Non-Toyota
    Man, I've heard so many horror stories about removing these transmission pan bolts. Almost like you should be spraying them with an rust prohibiter when they're brand new, annoying (but makes sense) that the holes are through and the bolts can rust so easily. I'm getting ready to do a valve body in my truck and climbed under it using a mirror to inspect for rust, I don't have any (yay California?) but am still weary of breaking them pulling them out. For those that snapped them, did you feel high resistance before snapping? Or was it a sudden snap with constant pressure? In my experience, if you feel increased resistance and know a bolt is going to snap you can turn them back in a little bit then back counter clockwise and kind of work them out slowly but surely.

FWIW, I am a huge fan of: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q60UOO the "Grabit" series of extractors. I bought them after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTn6wI4g6s The set is expensive, sure, but when dealing with small (M3 - M6) sized bolts, it has saved my (and friends) bacon multiple times, although most of the time we're messing with broken bolts we're dealing with bolts broken off into our bike engine cases/etc. The set is made in the USA and you really do NOT want to break off a screw extractor or drill bit in your bolt. Ask me why I know this.

12. Jun 6, 2021 at 7:54 PM
    Sumo91

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Mine acted like it was coming out, and just snapped off. I had to drill it out and put in a helicoil. Wasn't bad at all. I upgraded all the hardware to 10.8 and used nuclear grade never seize (got it from work). It it breaks, and you can't get it with a left handed bit, don't try and extractor. I mean, you CAN try an extractor, but if the head of the bolt broke off, the extractor will likely break as well, which will lead to complete hell, as you can not drill through the extractor. So again, my recommendation, from experience, is use a left handed bit, if that doesn't work, drill it out and heli coil. Get all parts before hand, and if you don't use them, just return them. Hope this helps!

13. Jun 6, 2021 at 7:59 PM
    Oats87

Oats87 Dirt Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    A Non-Toyota
    Was the exposed portion of your pan bolts rusted? If so, sounds like as soon as those rusted threads started engaging the transmission case, it bound up and caused the head to snap off. Blows my mind that Toyota/Aisin would spec such a weak bolt for that application.

Sumo91[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jun 6, 2021 at 8:01 PM
    Sumo91

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Zero rust. Truck lives in the south. Bolts are grade. 0.000001 from the factory, if I had to guess :rofl:. I only had one break though.

Oats87[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jun 7, 2021 at 3:25 AM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    I've never heard of a bolt in this application failing without somebody trying to turn it. Makes sense they would source the cheapest material available. There is no reason to remove it from the maintenance prospective.

Noting the bolts are "soft" drilling worked well for me. If you can center the drill bit perhaps you can get lucky with no heli-coil. But I'd have one on hand. Once you cleared the center of the bolt perhaps an extractor would work?

As the saying goes. "This 30 minute job is one broken bolt away from a 3 day ordeal."

So my opinion:
    1st choice: Don't do this unless you have a problem.

2nd choice: If your going to do it anyway (sometimes this is the best way to learn) then have the extractors, drill bits, replacement bolts, time, patience and replacement material on hand. Plan about 6 hours and make sure you put a piece of cardboard under yourself if you don't want tranny fluid everywhere.

Question: What are you using for new fluid and what method are you doing to fill the system back up and verify at correct temperature?

16. Jun 7, 2021 at 3:28 AM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Did any of you folks that had bolts break use an impact wrench? I am thinking that the vibration will help with removal. I have a Milwaukee M12 Stubby and I can turn down the juice - thought I would start low and see what happens.

17. Jun 7, 2021 at 3:35 AM
    triharder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southern, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 RWB Black
    I think the rust makes the bolt larger and the strength of the bolt won't take the torque to turn with the rust. i wonder if you could cut the rust off(threads off) with a dremel before un-threading if it would work?

Granted i don't think access above the tranny allows this.

I am hoping the impact works well for you. I really, really want this to go smooth for you.
    Just tool up and you'll be fine. Just remember two are blind so you'll have no trouble removing those.

(just remember the guys from the desert reported at least one broken bolt).

18. Jun 7, 2021 at 4:41 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I assume that you can access the top of the bolt to spray PB Blaster. Even so I don't see getting enough on the bolt to make a difference. It is your truck but the risk/rewards just do not make sense.

19. Jun 7, 2021 at 5:54 AM
    Sumo91

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    I soaked my bolts for 3 days with a mix of kroil, mouse milk, and penetro 90. And still ended up with a broken bolt. I wouldn't recommend an impact.

20. Jun 7, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    Oats87

Oats87 Dirt Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    A Non-Toyota
    Just confirming here, you had your bolt break on your 2014 right?

I was doing some parts-diffing this morning and it turns out that Toyota allegedly revised the part number of the bolt used on the transmissions between 2013 and 2014 (for "3rd" gen it looks like)

The 2007-2013 trucks have: 91611B0625 specified as the transmission pan bolts, which is described as "A/C Refrigerant Line Bolt"
    The 2014+ trucks have: 9011906A02 specified as the transmission pan bolts, which is described as "BOLT (FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL PAN)"

A quick google search on the 2013 and prior truck bolt shows a two-piece bolt, with a captive washer on the end of it. I can't find any images of the 2014+ bolt though.

21. Jun 7, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    Sumo91

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Yes, mine is a 2014. It's just a regular bolt. I took them to a bolt warehouse warehouse replaced all of them with grade 10.8

22. Jun 7, 2021 at 12:37 PM
    crewmaxlmt

crewmaxlmt How dare you!

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Limited
    You are absolutely correct about the problems that can be had if an extractor breaks off inside your bolt. For this very reason I will take a piece of steel and hand grind a four sided taper that I can hammer into the hole. I then use this to try and turn the bolt out. Since the steel is soft, you can always drill it out of the hole if it breaks.

One additional tip, drill the broken bolt out with a bit that is .030" under the minor diameter of the thread. This will usually make the threads so weak that the extractor will not have to do much work. If this still does not work, you can drill it out right at the minor diameter and use a tap to peel the bolt threads out of the hole. Keep in mind that if you use a tap with this method, you will have to clear the tap quite a bit as you make your way down the hole.

23. Jun 7, 2021 at 1:10 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

24. Jun 15, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    Buckaroo

Buckaroo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    So I just finished draining the ATF (~4 qts), dropped the pan and filter (~2 qts) and installed the new filter. No issues with the pan bolts -they came out easy peasy. Prior to removing, I cleaned off the top rim of the pan using compressed air and sprayed PB Blaster on the top & bottom of the rim and let it sit overnight. I used my Milwaukee M12 3/8" stubby impact wrench at the lowest setting and they came right out. The bolts look really good so I'm not sure all that was necessary. I'm going to clean the pan bolt and hole threads with my thread restorer, slather the bolts with anti-seize and reinstall. The gasket was intact so I will save it for the future.

Oats87 likes this.
  25. Jun 16, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    matictundra

matictundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Franco
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Tundra SR5 4x4 CM
    3"/1.5" Lift (Fox 2.5 DSC all around, JBA UCA's and Toytec Shackles at 1.5") Front and Rear TRD Sway Bars Nitto Ridge Grappler 37x12.5R18 w/ Brz 18x9 +25mm Methods MR701 Wheels AFE Dry Filter with TRD Flow Acc Dirty Deed No Muffler Exhaust Nitro 5.29 Gears RCI Engine, Trany/Trans-Case and Fuel Skid Plates Relocated Rear Diff Breather | Rear Brake Line Extension Jomax ABS Sensor Armor Colored Matched Front Bulge and TRD Pro Grill Assy Modded ADD Stealth Fighter Front Bumper Custom High Clearance Rear Bumper with Modded Tow Receiver Behind Plate and Chopped Rear Fender Custom Bed Stiffeners 2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights w/ Ihacker Harness | BD 40" ARC AMB/WHT DC OnX6 BD 10" Onx6 in the Grill (2X) Rago Low-Profile Ditch and Extended Brkt with Daul BD Squadron Pros - AMB & WHT AMB LED Chase Light (Cargo) | Dual BD Squadron Sports in Rear Bumper Prinsu Roof Rack with a Pair of BD S1 For the Sides and Rear Mictunning C2 Rock Lights, 2 per wheel, and Toyota style switch 2X 55" Quick Light Whips with Toyota style switch Switch Pros SP-9100 with Custom Switch Mount, Custom Engine and Roof Terminal Junction Boxes 12K Lbs Smittybilt Winch with wireless remote and Factor 55 FlatLink E Amp Power Step EVO-One Remote Start Limo Tint (All Around) | De-Badged LED Interior lights with Front / Rear Interior Footwell LED Blue LED Lit Lock/Window Switch Mod AJT Full Chrome Delete Kit w/ 3R3 Painted SHCS Toyota LED Bed Lights Leather Perforated Wrapped Steering Wheel Black TRD Shift Knob ESP Long Box BakFlip MX4 Bed Cover Thinkware Q800Pro Dashcam (Front & Rear) Rago Dashmount w/ Ram Phone Holder
    I just did mine about a month ago. No issue with broken bolts, they all came off easy. I live in AZ so hardly any rust if any on the bolts. As said, they are through bolts so make sure the through threads are clean of mud and rust.

Trans Pan.jpg
    Trans.jpg

26. Jun 16, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    Oats87

Oats87 Dirt Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    A Non-Toyota
    Just wanted to report into here, I had the pan dropped on my truck at 45,000 miles and my mechanic had zero issues pulling the bolts out. To be fair, my truck is a California truck and doesn't have any rust on the undercarriage.

The "old" 2007-2013 bolts are visually different (head wise) than the 12 2014+ bolts I purchased. I'm wondering if the early 2014 trucks were using transmissions built with the bolts from 2007-2013.

To Top