1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Arthritis blows

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mudslinger79, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Apr 20, 2018 at 8:57 AM
    mudslinger79

mudslinger79 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Williamsburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab, Phantom Grey Pearl
    Leveled. 16x8 Pacer 164 wrapped in 295-75-16 General AT2. Flowmaster exhaust. K&N Cold air intake.
    38 with osteoarthritis in both hands and both knees. I'm mechanic by trade. It really blows. I see my Dr. in June and am going to ask his opinion on a few things. Anyone have arthritis? Anything I should ask specifically? I DO NOT want pain meds.

2. Apr 20, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Yeah it sucks big time. Can't do anything anymore. I think my dirt biking days are almost over. Definitely done riding on the track. Can't even go Gokarting without feeling like I ran a triathalon afterwards. Baseball, football, basketball, tennis, golf, skiing, snowboarding, bowling... all done. Only thing I have left is wheeling my truck and maybe get back into racing on the track one day. Oh yeah, and I can also fly a kite and play words with friends. :(

3. Apr 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    Might wanna check out acupuncture. Not FDA approved but canna and CBD oils are effective for some.

4. Apr 20, 2018 at 10:01 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    CBD cream helped control my elbow tendonitis really good.

trayday likes this.
  5. Apr 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    i've heard nothing but good things about the CBD cream. thinking about giving it a try myself.

trayday likes this.
  6. Apr 20, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    You do want pain meds, you just don't want narcotic based pain meds. Ketoprofen was designed for the sole purpose of treating arthritis pain. Sadly, it's out of production right now. If production resumes, I'll post here and you can check with your doctor. I was on 800mg of Ibuprofen four times a day with only a slight pain reduction. One 75mg Ketoprofen three times a day all but eliminated the pain. There are a number of non-narcotic pain meds that may help. Get with your doctor and find one that works for you. Until then, Blue Emu or one of the other creams may help. http://www.blue-emu.com/ I personally avoid CBD oil. It's legal, but it can cause a false positive on a drug test. I don't need that hassle this close to retirement.

Leo's first likes this.
  7. Apr 20, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    I'm 41 and have it too in my hands. Luckily, mine comes and goes so i get good periods which can last for months but the bad times are brutal. When i have to ask my wife, who is literally half my size, to open bottles as I can't grip anything, I feel pretty low.

Mine certainly gets noticeably worse when the seasons change so i wear gloves if i'm outside working on something, and have a cream called "deep heat" from England and that helps. I think it's like Bengay?

I'd probably see a different doctor for a second opinion to be sure. I thought my hands & wrists were arthritic, but it turns out, a different doc decided my wrist was a ligament issue from typing all the time for work (that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it) Once a year i get a steroid shot and it's nothing but fucking magical. Still have arthritis in my knuckles & fingers though

Leo's first likes this.
  8. Apr 20, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    Albertaundra

Albertaundra aka...IgnorantlyAlberta

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 crewmax TRD, '06 Taco walletbreaker
    Bone stock tundra...
    What are the signs that it may be an issue in the future?
    I feel like my hands are stiff and sore most days and its almost like a balloon /swollen feeling when I clench a fist. My Grandpa had it fairly bad in his hands so im a little worried as I work with small tedious parts for work.

Leo's first and mudslinger79[OP] like this.
  9. Apr 20, 2018 at 11:51 AM
    mudslinger79

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Williamsburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    Leveled. 16x8 Pacer 164 wrapped in 295-75-16 General AT2. Flowmaster exhaust. K&N Cold air intake.
    I wont do narcotics. Addiction issues. I'm taking 800mg of advil now couple times a day. Some days are worse than other.

Leo's first likes this.
  10. Apr 20, 2018 at 11:56 AM
    DoubleDub

DoubleDub New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    greater Charlotte, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    01' Grey Limited
    Banks Exhaust, Spectre Cold Air Induction, Jet MAFS, Steel Wheels offset with 1.25" Spacers, 1.5" front lift with Strut Spacer
    I'm no doctor but I have arthritis and a lot of joint issues from being a fat lawn dart in my 82nd Airborne days, most doctors will tell you that you are crazy but research HCG injections. I had a broken wrist for four years while i was in....and sucked it up during that time resulting in more arthritis, dead bone, scar tissue, requiring a bone graft, also had two back surgeries.... so I'm broken. I had years of intense nerve pain running down my legs with no relief, i even took Nucynta for a while which is a sister drug to morphine, nothing gave me relieve from the age of 22-36 until HCG..........

It's a hormone only pregnant women produce, they give it to women to start ovulating and to adolescent males who's nuts haven't dropped to induce that part of puberty. You can get it from a "medical weight loss doctor" which is how I found it, some research shows it helps people burn fat which is why they prescribe it. One shot in the fat of your belly once a week, a side effect that half the people have who take it is super anti-inflammatory effects, it's helped people with fibromyalgia, lupus, chronic joint pain, and chronic migraines.... some people it does nothing for.. but after having constant, constant, constant nerve pain for years it's offered so much relief it's crazy, life changing. I've had no other negative side effects from it none.

Worth researching and asking around. I believe you can get it from a hormone replacement doctor too because that's what it is.

Leo's first likes this.
  11. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Were you medically diagnosed with "osteo" arthritis? I only ask because it's not a common one to have at your age.

12. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    Should've stated earlier, I have arthritis in my back along with a bunch of other problems. Taking Nabumetone daily along with Tylenol and weekly acupuncture has made a life changing difference. I use topical oils and oral CBD after a long day and is effective.

Leo's first likes this.
  13. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:09 PM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Could also look into gabapentin. It's an anti seizure med that works on chronic nerve pain. It has helped a lot with a bulged disc in my back .doesn't completely take the pain away. But it's has made it where I don't even need an Advil or anything to tolerate the pain.

Leo's first likes this.
  14. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    DoubleDub

DoubleDub New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    greater Charlotte, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    01' Grey Limited
    Banks Exhaust, Spectre Cold Air Induction, Jet MAFS, Steel Wheels offset with 1.25" Spacers, 1.5" front lift with Strut Spacer
    It's local to my wrist that had a lot of dead bone, I'm not sure the specific type........ prior to having the surgery to "repair" (VA surgery) it was explained to me, proximal to that area I had scar tissue, dead bone, arthritis, and some deformed bone where it tried to grow back together and i kept re-breaking it. It's less painful now since the surgery but I don't really have use of it, pain switched from more intense to more dull, ache, radiating..

15. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:22 PM
    mudslinger79

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Williamsburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    I had x-rays done recently and the dr said my hands had severe arthritis. I'm seeing a second dr soon. It runs in my family, badly.

Leo's first likes this.
  16. Apr 20, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    mudslinger79

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Williamsburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    I'm a Toyota mechanic. I love/hate my job. I've had carpal tunnel surgery, wrist surgery, fractured foot, broken thumb knuckle, lower back issues, knees are wrecked, hands hurt constantly. Arthritis runs in my family. Dads started in his late 30s, diesel mechanic. My brothers started in his late 30s, plumber. We Woolards like to work with our hands. I just dont want to end up like my dad, disabled, mid fifties, hands broken down and deformed. But, he was hard headed and hated Drs.

Leo's first likes this.
  17. Apr 20, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    mudslinger79

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Williamsburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    My knees get hot feeling and swell. They feel tight and they ache. My hands hurt/ache. Knuckles, fingers, palms. My hands swell from time to time too. Right now both my knees are a 5/6 on the pain scale. Have been all day. I think I'm going to invest in good boots and stop cheaping out.

Leo's first likes this.
  18. Apr 20, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    smooosh

smooosh This place costs me too much $

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad Limited Crewmax.
    Ongoing project
    Acupuncture and pot/cbd oil. If your prior military the va will send you to acupuncture so its covered. If not give it a try.

Leo's first likes this.
  19. Apr 20, 2018 at 1:49 PM
    Albertaundra

Albertaundra aka...IgnorantlyAlberta

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 crewmax TRD, '06 Taco walletbreaker
    Bone stock tundra...
    Good boots go a long way.
    Ive noticed my index fingers are kinda taking on a twist as well.

Leo's first and mudslinger79[OP] like this.
  20. Apr 20, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    mudslinger79

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Williamsburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to get another pair of Carhartt boots. I have a pair for non-work. Thinking about getting a pair for work. When I'm in them, they're just so damn comfortable.

Leo's first likes this.
  21. Apr 20, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Look into Stem Cells therapy.

Leo's first likes this.
  22. Apr 20, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Sorry, that question was meant for the OP to help navigate his appt because different types of arthritis have different strategies. Not to downplay yours either, it's a tough disease in general. All the best.

DoubleDub[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top