1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are modifications Approved by Toyota?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Alkhalifa, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Dec 24, 2017 at 2:08 AM
    Alkhalifa

Alkhalifa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello Everyone,
    I have done a couple of modifications on 2017 Tundra by two companies:

Four Wheel Parts
    An Audio Installation company.

This list includes:
    • Fox Leveling Kit
    • Tyre & Wheel Replacement
    • Air Intake (AFE)
    • Side Steps Amp Research
    • Replace Audio Unit
    • Viper Remote Start
    • LED Bar & Foglights
    • 2018 Tundra Headlight (plus wiring harness by @iHacker)
    • TRD Pro Dual Exhaust (Sure this is will be Ok)

My question is do any of these void the warranty. Will Toyota provide me with approval that none of these will void my warranty? Has anyone experienced any issues?

Thanks

2. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:48 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    FlashCulprit and trayday like this.
  3. Dec 24, 2017 at 4:55 AM
    TUNDRA375

TUNDRA375 New Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO LUNAR ROCK
    None will void the warranty. But if you take your vehicle to the dealer for something that is covered under the warranty the dealer may try and link the problem to your modification.

TheBeast and FlashCulprit like this.
  4. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    It's good to keep a copy of the M&M Act in the glove box to remind the dealer if they try to pull anything. A major mod such as a super charger may cause warranty issues if not installed by the dealer. There are always exceptions of course.

5. Dec 24, 2017 at 5:53 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    @Alkhalifa
    Welcome from AZ, and let us see pictures of your truck!
    The question you asked is not answered with a simple yes or no. In general terms, your bumper to bumper warranty remains in tact. Any systems that have been modified and other systems impacted by those modifications may not be covered. For example, since you have added a remote start, the ignition system may not be covered. Since many of your mods have connections to the electrical system, any problems that develop with this system may not be covered. Also, since a lift and larger tires plus possibly wheels with a different offset have all combined to alter the geometry of the front end, you probably could not get wheel bearings covered under warranty.
    The problem is that a dealership may deny the claim and the burden of proof is on you to show that a particular problem was not the result of any modifications.

Ely010606 and Sunnier like this.
  6. Dec 24, 2017 at 6:04 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
  7. Dec 24, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    As others said,

I would like to add....save your money on the AFE "cold air intake". You have CAI from the factory, get a AFE drop in pro dry S and call it a day! Save the $$ for all those other goodies!

Cheers

TheBeast, FlashCulprit and Sunnier like this.
  8. Dec 24, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    Alkhalifa

Member:
    Thanks for the info
    Here are pictures of the Truck Still waiting on work for the Audio and Remote Start to be done also the front Tundra Pro Grill and bulge and 2018 lights to be done...

9. Dec 24, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    Alkhalifa

Member:
    Unfortunately, it is on the car now :frusty:

10. Dec 24, 2017 at 9:56 AM
    Alkhalifa

Member:
    Thanks!!!

11. Dec 24, 2017 at 9:56 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Well then, as long as your happy - enjoy it!!

Ely010606 and geno0506 like this.
  12. Dec 24, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    Alkhalifa

Member:

Sure they will try to pull it off and blame the modification!
    What is a truck if you can't modify it ;)

4x4_Angel likes this.
  13. Dec 24, 2017 at 9:58 AM
    Alkhalifa

Member:
    Should have asked before :annoyed:
    Thanks for your help

4x4_Angel likes this.
  14. Dec 24, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    1. This list includes:
      • Fox Leveling Kit
      Might due to lift and steering rack. The dealer attempted this when my front diff went out and I had just installed 6112 shocks at the lowest setting. That is .75” lift. Only thing that stopped them in their tracks was pointing out the Pro suspension is a 2” lift...from the factory.
      • Tyre & Wheel Replacement
      Most likely not since you didn’t go really big.
      • Air Intake (AFE)
      I have had my motor and turbo warranty voided due to having an aftermarket AFE intake on my 05 Diesel. Dusting the motor is a problem...and can happen on aftermarket systems.
      • Side Steps Amp Research
      • Replace Audio Unit
      Obviously the audio system outside of what you replaced.

In the end, trying to fight a dealership on a warranty issue on a modded vehicle can get rather expensive and still have the same outcome.

15. Dec 24, 2017 at 10:25 AM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    Nice looking build. Im getting tempted to do the lift also .

16. Dec 24, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    Vector W8

Vector W8 Old guy with a lot of expensive habits.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Super White Crewmax 4X4
    FFV, TRD Supercharger, Bullydog FFV Tune, 2014 Fit Kit, TRD Dual Exhaust, Sequoia Front Sway Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers, 040 White Door Handles, Ready Lift 3"/2", Anzo 3rd Brake Light, Winjet LED Tail Lights, LED Fog Lights, LED Rock Lights, Axle Vent Mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount, 12,000lb Winch. Storm Trooper Shift Knob. BMF BATL Wheels.
    Nice Truck! Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is your best friend. The burden of proof falls on the manufacturer (Toyota) to prove that the modifications you have done, were the actual cause of the failure. In essence they would have to run a full vehicle validation cycle with your parts to prove that it would not last through their torture testing.

This does not mean that it wont make getting a part warrantied difficult. But legally they have to prove your part caused the Toyota factory part to fail.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  17. Dec 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    While I agree with every word you said, there is always the “but”. This is not directed at you, just your post was so good that I don’t have to re-type it.

I was laughed at when Dodge voided my warranty and I showed them the MM warranty act and they just laughed. The service manager said, flat out “take us to court then, your warranty is void nonetheless.”

Not everyone is as bless as others on here and can jump in one of their other vehicles and fight it out. I had a commuter vehicle and it didn’t matter, but the average Joe probably will not have the same outcome.

Then again, if someone has that right of a budget, they probably should keep their truck factory.

TheBeast and gosolo like this.
  18. Dec 24, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    I know about the Magnusson Act but the problem is if Toyota refuses a warranty claim most of us probably don't have the financial/legal resources to fight them. I also think that if you have let's say worn ball joints or drive axle problems and you have a lift and bigger tires you will not have a case because more stress was added to the suspension. Same goes when wiring problems appear and you have a bunch of stuff added to your electrical circuits.

ColoradoTJ, BakNBlk2014 and gosolo like this.
  19. Dec 24, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    You may have the right of way in a crosswalk too, but it’s not gonna keep you from getting run over.
    Just saying...

20. Dec 25, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    Alkhalifa

Member:

Haven't driven the car yet

So I can't say if its worth it. After all the work is done I will get to see if my choices were right

21. Dec 25, 2017 at 9:48 AM
    Alkhalifa

Member:
    If they try to void the warranty or make an issue I honestly I won't lose sleep over it. I did all the mods to enjoy my truck the way I plan to build it. Its the mods that make it all worth it.

Thanks to everyone for the information. This forum is much better than the other one so many helpful members.

22. Dec 25, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    Vector W8

Vector W8 Old guy with a lot of expensive habits.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Super White Crewmax 4X4
    FFV, TRD Supercharger, Bullydog FFV Tune, 2014 Fit Kit, TRD Dual Exhaust, Sequoia Front Sway Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers, 040 White Door Handles, Ready Lift 3"/2", Anzo 3rd Brake Light, Winjet LED Tail Lights, LED Fog Lights, LED Rock Lights, Axle Vent Mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount, 12,000lb Winch. Storm Trooper Shift Knob. BMF BATL Wheels.
    I can completely understand your reluctance. I have the ability to play in their sand box. So I don't worry about it to much. I have had to fight Chrysler 5 times over lemon law (and won each one). Knowing your rights and having the technical background to fight them comes in handy.

Slayer and ColoradoTJ like this.
  23. Jan 8, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    Tony v

Tony v Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    I wouldn’t worry. Unless they did a crap job on the mods you’re fine.

24. Jan 8, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    Tony v

Tony v Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    That’s why you buy cars from reputable brands with good dealerships. I’ve had Toyota assist with considerable financial assistance when my old Tacoma had over 100k miles on it. They helped because I’m a good customer for them and the dealer, and it was the right thing to do. Granted, they are not going to cover an after market exhaust system, but you might not be an important customer if the dealer “voids your warranty” (which only the factory is authorized to do),and says “go ahead and sue me”.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jan 8, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I agree. Toyota has helped me out outside of warranty as well. Call it good faith, I call it good business. They have had a customer since.

NewImprovedRon and Tony v like this.
  26. Jan 10, 2018 at 12:40 PM
    Alkhalifa

Member:
    Hopefully, they did

27. Jan 10, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    JeremyGSU

JeremyGSU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    I agree, but would express caution on solely relying on this. This used to be a common post on the F-150 forums as well. I modified some things on my old F-150 and had issues down the road and tried to play this card with my dealer. They said sorry it's not covered. I mentioned this letter. They said sorry, it's still not covered. The only route I would have had was hiring a lawyer and when the bill is $800 - $1000 it's not worth it so you end up out of pocket. Perhaps Toyota is different but personally my expectation is if I mod it it's not longer covered as my own CYA.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] and 71_340 like this.
  28. Jan 10, 2018 at 1:40 PM
    Darth Tundra

Darth Tundra I AM....YOUR FATHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Revtek 2.5 level kit, 295/70/18 on stock rims..no rear mods
    Will not VOID WARRANTY....AS LONG AS YOU PAY IT FORWARD AND MOD MY TRUCK AS WELL......:D

Black Wolf likes this.
  29. Jan 10, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't solely rely on that either. It does come in handy when you come across the occasional service rep that has never heard of M&M act. Sure they can blow you off. In fact though the M&M Act has protected millions of vehicle owners since it was enacted. Otherwise there would have been no need for it. If a person is truly worried about more serious mods then ask your dealer first. A reputable dealer will give you an honest answer. Yes it is possible that certain mods could affect numerous things. Proof in point>>>> Many dealers sell brand new trucks with serious mods such as lifts and warranty is covered. A few lift makers offer lift insurance in case a dealer wants to make an issue with a 3rd party install that's done correctly...

Products Discussed in

To Top