1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone with JBL “Premium” stock system who has added 2 10’s from JRT/Tech12Volts?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MillMatter, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Sep 6, 2020 at 3:48 PM
    MillMatter

MillMatter [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794 Edition 4x4 CrewMax Super White
    6” pro comp lift, 35x12.50 Toyo R/T, 22” chrome Fuel Hostage, Magnaflow custom dual in dual out exhaust with OEM chrome tips w/ Toyota logo, tint, smooth finish color matched fender flares, color match grille surround and hood bulge, 14-17 TRD Pro grille custom painted all white (letters remain matte silver), classic Toyota tri-color logo in grille (blue color scheme), chrome step bars, Century Sillhouette tonneau, Pendaliner drop in bed liner, custom company graphics, chrome TRD decals custom painted to color match company graphics (blue), ESP under seat storage, center console organizer, BumperShellz color matched front bumper end caps. Tech12Volts/Taylor's Audio Sound System: Kenwood DMX1057XR head unit, Infinity Reference 5-ch amp, Hertz CK165L front, Hertz K170 rear, 2 JL Audio W0 10" subs in ported box behind seat, bass knob.
    I have a 2014 1794 CrewMax with the not so “premium” JBL system. It doesn’t sound great but it’s not awful either. I want to add some punch so I plan on going with 2 10’s from JRT. I told him the sound I was looking for and he quoted me a sub/box/amp package for 2 Arc Audio 10’s in custom ported box to fit behind the back seat pushed by a Rockford amp. I don’t know all the specs but seems to be pretty standard, high quality stuff that he uses that also won’t break the bank. I was hoping to find someone else with a similar setup to see if you’re happy with the way it turned out. I am open to eventually replacing all the door and dash speakers but not in the budget currently and I’m hoping this setup will sound good enough that I won’t be in a hurry to do the rest. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Sep 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    Cfincke

Cfincke Mall Crawler but capable

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 CM 5.7 4x4 sunset bronze
    5.29s, Auburn LSD, 37x12.50R18, Icon coilovers and shocks, SPC UCA's, Tech 12 Volts sound system, Enve Grill
    I have a JRT sub setup with 2 10" JL subs

3. Sep 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    MillMatter

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    6” pro comp lift, 35x12.50 Toyo R/T, 22” chrome Fuel Hostage, Magnaflow custom dual in dual out exhaust with OEM chrome tips w/ Toyota logo, tint, smooth finish color matched fender flares, color match grille surround and hood bulge, 14-17 TRD Pro grille custom painted all white (letters remain matte silver), classic Toyota tri-color logo in grille (blue color scheme), chrome step bars, Century Sillhouette tonneau, Pendaliner drop in bed liner, custom company graphics, chrome TRD decals custom painted to color match company graphics (blue), ESP under seat storage, center console organizer, BumperShellz color matched front bumper end caps. Tech12Volts/Taylor's Audio Sound System: Kenwood DMX1057XR head unit, Infinity Reference 5-ch amp, Hertz CK165L front, Hertz K170 rear, 2 JL Audio W0 10" subs in ported box behind seat, bass knob.
    And how do you like it? How much did you spend approximately?

4. Sep 6, 2020 at 7:42 PM
    Cfincke

Cfincke Mall Crawler but capable

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 CM 5.7 4x4 sunset bronze
    5.29s, Auburn LSD, 37x12.50R18, Icon coilovers and shocks, SPC UCA's, Tech 12 Volts sound system, Enve Grill
    I have had it for over 2 years now. I bought it with speakers, an amp , and an dsp, so I could not tell you just the cost of just the subs and box. There are a lot of members here with setups from James

5. Sep 6, 2020 at 9:34 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    I've got James ported box with two jl 10tw3's. James will set you up right for whats in your budget. If I were you, id get a dsr1 and a 5ch Amp, but might be more than your budgeting for

He has gotten more of my money than ill admit......and he just got some more this weekend.....

6. Sep 7, 2020 at 5:33 AM
    MillMatter

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I already reached out to him and let him know what I was looking for and he put together a custom sub package for me. Basically just hoping some others who have added subs only to the JBL stock system will chime in with how it sounds. I’m hoping it’s good enough to hold me over for a couple years until I feel like replacing all the speakers as well.

7. Sep 7, 2020 at 6:56 AM
    Brettstation37

Brettstation37 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Catskills NY
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CrewMax TRD Sport
    JRT? Please elaborate on abbreviation for me please, I’m looking for package as well

8. Sep 7, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    James Randy Taylor. @james@tech12volts

9. Sep 7, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I had a single sub without the amp. The amp would have really woken it up more.

10. Sep 8, 2020 at 8:51 AM
    RdKing

RdKing Not A Roll Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Eastern Seaboard
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum 3R3 / Barcelona Red
    Roadtunes By: Taylor's Audio/Tech12Volts Alma GA. JBL Complete System
    MillMatter,
    I started with the single 12" sub ported supplied by Taylors Audio aka Tech12Volts with out the amp and quickly added the remaining "complete package" for my JBL Premium factory headunit.
    I can tell you, if you try just the box and sub without the amp ........ you will be all that closer to incredible when you find the funds to complete the package!

My Name is RdKing
    and I approve this message

MillMatter[OP] likes this.
  11. Sep 8, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    jaflynn738

jaflynn738 New Member

Member:
    Virginia
    I as well have been in touch with him for the same set up. I have 2015 SR5 with non jbl. I'm looking for the subs, sub box and amp. At first we talked about 10"s rockford subs with Rockford mono amp. We then moved to JL 10"s with rockford mono amp. I have yet to pull the trigger yet, but like you I would like to add one piece at time due to funds.

What setup did he set you up for?

12. Sep 8, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    MillMatter

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    I told him I was looking for the cleaner, hard hitting “punch” type bass rather than the deep rumble that constantly drowns out the rest of the music and he recommended 2 Arc Audio 10’s in a custom ported box behind the back seats with a Rockford amp.

13. Sep 10, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    Sgt.Deadbolt

Sgt.Deadbolt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 Edition Stock White
    None
    Hi Millmatter, Please keep us informed how it goes. I am in the same boat. I don’t have a big budget to redo my whole system, just want some more low end and a little more volume! Some sources sound good, but some are not very good. Thank you.

MillMatter[OP] likes this.
  14. Sep 12, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    Geego

Geego New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab tundra
    20 inch bbs wheels
    Does anyone have pics of the setup after its completed? I would love to see what it looks like behind the seat.

15. Sep 21, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    wolfeman007

wolfeman007 New Member

Member:
    you cant see it...once you put the seats back in and bolt them down, that thing is not moving an inch..(I got the complete JL audio setup (2- 10s) in a Sealed box with Kenwood HU from JRT)

16. Sep 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    spittoon

spittoon New Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro MGM CM
    Toyo OC ATIIIs, AMP Powersteps, Diamondback SE, Line-X, Tech12 JBL package, SPS Graphene coating, Front Runner Load racks w/rod carriers.
    For you all with the 2 10s, im assuming hook up the + side and same for the -? That would be 4 ohms according to the kenwood specs anyway. What route did you take to hook them together? Drill a hole inside the box to pass the wire thru?

17. Sep 21, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    DSTundra

DSTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    That's what I did with my two JL Audio 10" subs from Tech12Volts...

spittoon[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top