1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone using SumoSprings or similar?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by PenderBen, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Mar 28, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    PenderBen

PenderBen [OP] Forum lurker…

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    Hey everyone.

I want to add some SumoSprings or something similar to my ‘03. I searched and didn’t find anything on here from first gen users running these. I don’t want airbags, and I don’t want to get into new leaf springs.
    My truck is missing the bump stops (I think they rusted off, were gone before I got the truck) and sometimes I bottom out the suspension.
    I had super cheap coil overload springs (from Princess Auto) on my T100 and they did everything I needed, I could get something like that again, but thought the SumoSprings looked like an upgrade.

https://www.amazon.ca/SSR-610-54-Su...-8-1-2283-209-&vehicleName=2003+Toyota+Tundra

Anyway, any feedback would be great.
    Thanks

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  2. Mar 28, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    TemujinNomad

TemujinNomad New Member

Member:
    I have the black ones (mid grade) and they work well. The yellow ones will be for towing/hauling heavy full time.

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  3. Mar 28, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    PenderBen

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    How is the ride empty? The black might be sufficient.
    I have a rack and I almost always have stuff in my bed, often just hand tools, chainsaws, etc., but other times it’ll be a full load and rack of wood or rocks, some times towing a chipper or double axle trailer.

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  4. Mar 28, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    noahrexion

noahrexion New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 4WD DC
    I run a set of these on my DC: https://activesuspension.com

I had the same set on my T100 that I used to tow with a lot and I saved them when I sold it, they fit my Tundra perfectly. Mine have many many thousands of miles of use on them and they are a nice addition if you run heavier loads and they're great when unloaded too. These effectively re-arch the rear half of my leafs - I installed them for when I run heavy wood loads.

That being said, there is no real solve for worn springs only band-aids.

5. Apr 9, 2020 at 5:05 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Rebel Tundra Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM
    4" RCX Lift, 20x10 Fuel Coupler's, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grappler's, Color Match Front End, LED Bulbs, RCX Tube Steps, Green LED Underglow

What did you ever decide to do? I know im in the wrong forum, I was searching for chainsaws and this one popped up, I too am looking at the sumo springs, I got a buddy and his dad, that have tundras, they are both 2nd gens, but they run sumo springs and they pull heavy trailers (loaded 3 horse trailer with living quarters, and tractors) all the time and swear by them. I am torn between that setup and air bags, I just purchased my tundra, coming from a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. My pulling options has changed drastically and I just purchased a new tractor that weighs in about 6,500-7,000lbs the truck can tell its back there weight wise. power wise its fine though.

6. Apr 9, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    PenderBen

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    Hey, I haven’t done anything yet, but I’m pretty set on the black sumo springs, they should match my needs and use.
    Airbags have some pluses, but they’re far more involved to install and use, and I don’t feel like I need the adjustability they offer (which I think is their prime benefit over the sumo spring).
    I like the passive nature of the sumo spring.

Rebel Tundra Man likes this.
  7. Apr 10, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM
    4" RCX Lift, 20x10 Fuel Coupler's, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grappler's, Color Match Front End, LED Bulbs, RCX Tube Steps, Green LED Underglow
    Thanks for the response, I am still looking myself. My buddy that has them on his truck is supposed to come by this weekend and were going to load my tractor and trailer on his truck to see how they set with it all. Then I guess I will decide what route I want to go. I will report back to you as well.

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  8. Apr 10, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    PenderBen

Member:
    Gulf Islands, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra AC 4x4
    Cool, real world experience and feedback is the best.

Rebel Tundra Man likes this.
  9. Apr 10, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Would you mind taking picture if you can?
    Before and after you load it. Thanks in advance!

Kalashnikov 47 likes this.
  10. Apr 10, 2020 at 4:08 PM
    kz195688

kz195688 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    I have a 2006 AC 4x4. I installed the black sumo springs and a Hellwig helper spring because I purchased a 2017 FWC camper. The camper plate says it weighs 750 pounds, dry weight but with all the gear and two people I would think we are around 1300+pounds. I purchased the truck before we bought the camper but had planned a trip to Alaska so I knew the truck had to carry a camper or camper shell. We just happened to buy the FWC because we felt it met our travel needs.

We travelled from northern Virginia to Washington, Canada, Alaska (all the way to the Artic ocean via the Dalton Hwy) and back. We stopped at a lot of NP and did some off-road travel in South Dakota. All in all, it took us a little over two months and roughly 13000 miles. The truck handled the weight with no problems throughout the long journey. We do take the camper off the truck and store it while at home. Even with load E tires the ride is not harsh. I just remember to fill my tires to about 35 psi when we don’t have the camper on. There is a slight rake from front to rear of about 1-1 1/2inches but no real problem.

I did upgrade my brakes and installed Load E tires for the trip but the truck runs great without the camper.

11. Apr 13, 2020 at 8:52 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    I added hellwig helper springs to my old leafs. Worked great, but I finally just bit the bullet and got new leafs.

12. Apr 15, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM
    I found out my buddy that is running this type application actually has the Timbren Springs that are very similar to Sumo Springs design.

I did not take any pics of this trial, but I did take some measurements. Now Keep in mind this is a comparison between a second gen (My buddy) and Mine (3rd Gen) don't think this matters as far as suspension, but I have about 7" from the top of the leaf pack right infront of the bumpstop to the bumpstop plate. (towards the front of the truck) and once I have my tractor loaded on my trailer this changes to about 5" of clearance, and it has not reached the bump stops yet. On my buddies truck it it might have raised it about 1-2" My buddy also says these springs stabilize his truck from swaying when pulling a heavy load, so I guess they act as a sway bar somewhat too. I am still unsure if I want to go this route or air bags. because I would still like to have on board air, so if I go through that trouble why not install air bags too.

Y0TA PR0[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top