1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone run Thule roof tracks on bed rails with bed cover?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Tun-D, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Dec 20, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    Hi all,
    I am getting ready to purchase a new 2019 CM TRD Sport and know that I would like to have a bed cover pretty quickly to store items in the back somewhat securely. I also have a lot of gear from time to time for camping, mountain biking, etc...and use a Thule cross bar system for most of that on my current SUV.
    I've seen some posts on here about the pace edwards covers with the slots built in for Thule racks and I've seen some other Rino stuff that looks good. My goal would be to get a bed cover that I could remove relatively quickly in case I don't want it on there all the time, and to have a low profile track/rack system available for use. Even though the pace edwards look good, I think removing would be more difficult and it takes up a bit of bed space.

The question: Has anyone tried using Thule roof track system on the bed rails along side a separate bed cover? It looks like some of the brands like bak still leave enough room to install these.

Someone asked the question about using them on etrailer, but not sure if they'll work w/cover:
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-91663.html

Thank you,
    Don

2. Dec 20, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  3. Dec 20, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    Thanks. There are some really nice "racks" on that thread, but not the combo I was hoping for on my truck. Looking to put something like this Thule roof track:
    upload_2018-12-20_8-22-31.png

On the bed rails next to a cover that sits like this:
    upload_2018-12-20_8-23-5.jpg

okcowboy and B737 like this.
  4. Dec 20, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Hmm maybe I didnt find the tread i was looking for. I thought i remember seeing a thread with pics something along the lines of what your describing. Ill keep looking.

5. Dec 22, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    Yes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wex and Mountun Goat like this.
  6. Dec 23, 2018 at 8:30 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    Nice! Thanks for sharing.

7. Dec 23, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    Just run the rails down the bed, install feet and the cross bars and you’re set. Make sure to buy wide enough cross bars. The system is great. It makes loading and unloading objects a breeze at chest height, and when not in use, push a button the bars pull off in 1 second. When not in use you can hardly even tell it’s there.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  8. Dec 23, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax Barcelona Red
    TRD Pro Exhaust, TRD Skidplate, TRD Faux-Pro wheels, Ridge Grapplers
    Did you just drill through the bed and bolt, or did you use the plus-nut system?

9. Dec 23, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    I think you can get regular hardware on the bottom if you get creative reaching up. Plusnut is a good idea too. Since all the objects I carry on the rack are very light (windsurf boards) I just used stainless screws down the rail every 8 inches or so, through the cap, into the body. Savage I know but works.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. Dec 23, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

11. Dec 25, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    same version on my old tacoma, better photo of the set up
    [​IMG]

Mountun Goat likes this.
  12. Dec 26, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    Vancepp

Vancepp New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Toytec Boss Kit, Method Grids, 305/70-18 STT Pros
    You can absolutely use the Thule or Yakima tracks on the bedrails. You just have to make sure and place them far enough out to not interfere with the bed cover. There are a few places that you can miss the metal under the plastic when drilling your holes. Another tip would be to use Rhino Rack or Yakima system because they both have quick release feet, which makes it way easier to take your bed cover off or flip a tri-fold cover back. You will need at least a 70 inch bar to reach across the bed of the Tundra. I have installed many of these on different trucks. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

splitfuse likes this.
  13. Dec 28, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    Thanks everyone. I picked up my Tundra last Friday night and I'm loving it! I went in to a Rack-n-Road store and talked to a few employees running similar setups. Even though I originally wanted a cover that could quickly be removed, they recommended going with a retractable cover so that you can access things under the cover with the racks and gear still on top. After thinking about it and researching a little more I pulled the trigger and ordered a Truck Covers USA American Roll cover. The canister takes up less room than some of the competition and they are pre-mounting the yakima tracks on the side rails.

Haydin_Valley likes this.
  14. Dec 28, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    that will be a really nice set up.
    I did forget to mention, with roll up style covers, if you have gear on the bed, it is difficult to reconfigure the cover. You have to pick open or closed cover before loading the gear. Your particular set up will be most versatile. Are they just screwing the tracks to the bed or are they going to use hardware from below? I wanted the screw heads to fit inside the track channel so it limits you to hardware size.

15. Dec 28, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    I know the racks will be attached directly to the cover side rails, but I'm not sure how. Should be installed early next week so I'll be able to talk more on it then. Here's a pic off their website:
    [​IMG]

16. Dec 28, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Platinum-SOLD 2022 Sequoia, Celestial Silver Metallic
    That's a really nice setup. :thumbsup:

17. Jan 31, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    So I've had this on for a little while now and installed some racks as well. The Truck Covers USA company says that they only want authorized installers/resellers to do the work, so you can't even buy direct. Unfortunately, the local line X company that I had do the purchase and install was terrible. They made several mistakes with the install. Did a re-visit to fix and didn't get any better. That said, I ended up working directly with the manufacturer to get it set up myself and they were good. I was able to get it all dialed in on my own and am very happy with the cover. It'd be nice to get my $100 install fee back, but I've moved on.

So, here are a few pics for anyone interested. I will say that the main reason why I went with this cover over Pace Edwards or some other with integrated rack rails is because they claim an 8" canister. Well, that is not accurate - it's more like 11" and not much different than some of the others out there, but I'm still happy because the quality does seem excellent.

upload_2019-1-31_21-3-13.jpg
    upload_2019-1-31_21-4-6.jpg

Went with Rhino Rack. About $100-$150 cheaper than Yakima and I'm happy with the setup.

Just wanted to update my own post with the final results.

Thanks everyone.

Don

18. Jan 31, 2019 at 10:16 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    I like the rhino aero bar style over the thule square box.

How did they screw up? it’s such an easy set up to install

Looks really good

Mountun Goat likes this.
  19. Jan 31, 2019 at 10:19 PM
    Mountun Goat

Mountun Goat She baaaaaahd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
    Looks awesome

20. Feb 1, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    B737 - Several things:
    • Didn't hook up rear drains and tried to tell me they're unnecessary. Then said it only came with two hoses so it's the manufacturers fault. Placed order for more hoses.
    • Instead of drilling holes in my front plastic caps for the front drains they just ripped them out. I got them back but cracked.
    • Later I read instructions and learned that drain hoses used in front were supposed to be cut to also use in back. Also learned there are rubber grommets for the back holes they were supposed to drill - and those got thrown out.
    • Cover kept opening on bumps.
    • Went back to have rear drains set up and adjustments to keep it from opening
    • Got it back with drains hooked up.
    • Still opens on bumps.
    • Worked with manufacturer to figure out issues.
    • Quickly determined that the gap measurements were way off and more shimming was necessary.
    • Found out they used rubber peaces as shims the second time around because they threw extras away.
    • While shimming myself, I realized they did not set the "Lock blocks" that keep the cover locked when fully closed. Also clearly stated as a last critical step in the instructions.
    • Manufacturer sent me shims and a lot of instruction on paper and links to videos to get it right.

There are actually a few more little things that I left out if you can believe that. I did tell the owner twice that I was disappointed with the BS from his installer and all of the missed steps, but it was like talking to a wall. I realized that doing it myself was the only way to get it done correctly and the manufacturer agreed and was helpful. If I had done the whole job myself it would've saved me time - and the $100 for install.

Lessons learned:
    If you want something done right - do it yourself.
    If you can't - don't go to a bed liner company for a bed cover.

Truck Covers USA was good and I am very happy with their product - now.

The Rhino racks are great - Quick on and off and have a cap for the foot so it's a clean look when you don't need the cross bars. I can't wait to load up the bed and the racks with camping gear! And for some reason - I now feel like I'm missing a roof top tent in my life;)

Sunnier likes this.
  21. Feb 1, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    Thanks - I'm very happy with it the way it turned out.

Mountun Goat[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Feb 28, 2019 at 5:12 AM
    wex

wex New Member

Member:
    :bowdown:This is exactly the post I've been looking for. Bought a Tundra that came with a nice "roll n lock" tonneau cover and have been trying to figure out how to mount some racks over the bed without having to buy a whole new tonneau with a built in rail system. Couple questions:

Is it difficult to locate metal under the bed sides so we have a strong mounting spot?
    What do you think about the ability of this system adequately supporting a roof top tent?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  23. Feb 28, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    Vancepp

Vancepp New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Toytec Boss Kit, Method Grids, 305/70-18 STT Pros
    C04D91C3-5472-437D-9E3C-AE88839E5144.jpg

Works great with a tent. I used three crossbars when the tent was on for extra strength. There is metal under the plastic cap on the bedrail, except the stake pockets of course. I never missed metal. We have done quite a few and never had a problem.

Newbie_19 and wex[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Feb 28, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    Since my bed cover came with the option to have the manufacturer pre-mount Yakima roof rails, I can't answer the location of metal under the bed sides. Hopefully someone else on here can.

I am planning on adding the RTT at some point. The local rack company I bought the Rhino racks from said the Rhino crossbars had a significantly higher load capacity than the Yakima's. I can't remember what it was exactly, but the sales guy actually had his Tacoma in the parking lot with a Tapui tent on the same rack system. He said he's been running it that way for a few years with no issues. If you have a local rack shop in town like this you could always run the install by them or even have them do it.

Good luck.

splitfuse and wex[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Feb 28, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    That's sexy! Nice setup.

26. Feb 28, 2019 at 9:55 AM
    wex

wex New Member

Member:
    Thanks man!

27. Feb 28, 2019 at 9:55 AM
    wex

wex New Member

Member:
    This was really helpful, thanks!

28. Mar 12, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    wex

wex New Member

Member:
    Looks awesome! Been doing some research on this. Did you go Rhino rack for everything? Tracks, cross bars etc? If so, what length crossbar did you with? I'm between Thule and Rhino Rack. Also looking into the Riv-Nut option.

29. Apr 3, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    dlos

dlos Truckin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Off-Road
    Mods Mods Mods....
    I also went with the Truck Covers USA American Roll cover. I ordered it through AutoAnything (who f'd the order up and it didn't come with the tracks pre-installed) which turned out to be a huge break because I got more $ back from them then dealt directly with Truck Covers on the rails and rack, all at wholesale pricing (insane the markup on this stuff). The install of both the cover and the tracks was easy. The system is awesome, all of it!

30. Apr 3, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    Tun-D

Tun-D [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport MGM
    Wex, The rails are Yakima that the bed cover manufacturer installed. The rest is Rhino. The bars I got are 71 or 72". I don't believe Thule makes a quick release option any more. I have a lot of Thule stuff and wanted to match it all, but they just didn't offer what I was looking for. The quick release option was important for me because I will not have the cross bars on 95% of the time. Yakima makes a good setup too, but they're more expensive.

splitfuse and wex[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top