1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Run the Pirelli Scorpion AT-Plus or Continental TerrainContact AT?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by RDRunner, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Aug 14, 2019 at 10:22 AM
    RDRunner

RDRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Crewmax 4x4 TSS Edition
    I am looking for new tires (275/65R18) for my new 18" wheels. I am currently running Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my old 20" TSS wheels, which are great all season tires for the road. I want good road manners (closer to my Michelins than BFG AT) but I want the AT look as well. These Pirelli tires look like they may be a good candidate. They are rated #2 on Tirerack, but of course there are only 21 reviews of them (versus hundreds for others) and thus that rating is probably not accurate. Anyone running them?

Pirelli Scorpion AT-Plus.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. Aug 14, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I had a set of Pirelli's on a F150 and they lasted all of 27,000 miles. I will never buy another Pirelli. Of course this was an F150 and the ex drove it. She would go thorugh brake pads in 30k on flat ground.

Rw429 and YeeYeeTundra like this.
  3. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:07 AM
    Aggieddad02

Aggieddad02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM TRD Off Road
    I had an F150 with Goodyear ATS tires that I got 27,000 miles on before having to change them. I believe the tires manufacturers use are not the same as the ones you buy at the tire shop. Personally I like the look, but you get what you pay for. Good luck

4. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    RDRunner

RDRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    After looking at the Tire Rack test the did on the Pirelli tire (along with 3 other AT tires), this tire did not do so well in the wet roads test or any other area test. It looks like the Continental Terraincontacts AT did the best in that test, not that I completely believe every test I see. The Continental also did the best for wet roads in Consumer Reports and was the #1 AT tire. Oh well, the Pirelli looked good on paper.

5. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    Billy I

Billy I AKA Storm Shadow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra TRD Off Road White
    I'd be interested to see what you go with. Looking for same (road manners but AT look as well). Trying not to break the bank on tires is not easy - not a lot of options that I see for 295/70/18 (slightly different than your setup).

6. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    RDRunner

RDRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I will let you know what I end up with. I do know that when you go with other sizes or uncommon sizes the price goes up a lot. Not breaking the bank is very high on my list as well (ask my girlfriend and she will tell you everything I do is price oriented).

7. Aug 14, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    I've heard that you get good wet traction from a tire with a lot of sipes (little slits in the tires tread blocks). So a tire with big flat nobs is not going to do well in the rain on pavement.

RDRunner[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 14, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    RDRunner

RDRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wet road performance is one of my top requirements. I do not encounter any snow or ice, so rain is important to me even though we do not get enough of it here in south central TX.

9. Aug 14, 2019 at 2:04 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    If you have ever tried to match an OEM tire you know they are not. The Pirellis I had on F150 were bought at Discount. OEMs went on my 4X2

10. Aug 14, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    RDRunner

RDRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, but I don't understand your post. I am sure it makes sense to you but I don't know what you are referring to when you say match OEM, etc.

By the way, the Continentals are looking like they may be a good one after reading about them. They are less AT looking than I would like, but as Mick Jagger sang, you can't always get what you want. Unfortunately Billy (post above), they don't come in the larger size you want.

Continental2.jpg

11. Aug 14, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Stick with the defenders. I gave up buying tires based on looks many years ago. I have had all kinds...falken at, cooper at, bfg ta ko2, hankook atm, bridgestone revo2, and the pain jane defenders have outperformed them all I every driving condition I have used them for. Tires aren't a cheap investment so I low go with what works and what will last the longest and be the safest for me.

RDRunner[OP] likes this.
  12. Aug 14, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    RDRunner

RDRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You sir are 100% correct. IMO the Michelin LTX M/S (Defender or old model) is the best tire out there, hands down. And they do very well offroad except in mud and crazy offroading stuff (been there and done that stuff decades ago and not anymore). I may just do what you say in the end. I was thinking this morning while driving to work how nice the ride is with them, smooth, soft and quiet but not spongy. Great in the rain. Great tire. I have run them before on other vehicles and love them. I am running 305/50R20 on the stock suspension and they are wider (10" tread) than the 275/55R20 BFG A/T KO tires that came on my TSS, with no rubbing and no cutting or removing anything. That is a picture of my truck below.

Excellent advice.

By the way, here is a small portion of a review from someone who does long off-road expedition trips concerning the Continental TerrainContact AT tire: "Objective verdict is I believe these fit in the same category as Michelin Defender LTX M+S, a tire that makes no highway compromises but has the durability of an off road tire if not the bite of a dedicated off-roader. A mild tread pattern on a heavy duty carcass. Points for honest presentation this tire ultimately does exactly what it looks like it does. Subjective verdict is I just bought a second set for my other truck."

Truck.jpg

johnnygoodlife and Pudge[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Oct 25, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    BRETB

BRETB New Member

Member:
    I hear you guys on Defenders. I ran them for MANY years 98-14 and they are great all season tires, but design is 20? years old. Contis are newer designs and every test and review I've seen from tirerack shootout and user reviews to discount tire stopping distances wet and dry tell me Contis are better if not best in class. I think you can't go wrong with either but I'm going for Contis Terrain Contact. Just need to decide all season or all terrain.

14. Nov 29, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    Jeffro22

Jeffro22 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 platinum crewmax 4x4
    I know this is old but have the continentals and they are a great tire so far. I think the look better than defenders, but performance seems to be as good or better.

Ride is good and quite

Products Discussed in

To Top