1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone replace IBC with a Tekonsha P3 on 2018+ 5.7?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Tundracow, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Apr 27, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    Tundracow

Tundracow [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Tundra
    Tow mirrors, Tekonsha P3
    Just wondering who here has successfully replaced an IBC with a Tekonsha P3? Any issues as far as error messages?

2. Apr 27, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
  3. Apr 27, 2021 at 12:35 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    link above has your fix

4. Apr 27, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    sckottty

sckottty New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ts
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 TSS
    Stock
    I finally found a fix for 2018 Toyota tundra. My 2018 TSS 5.7L came with an intergraded brake Control IBC. The unit would turn its self off randomly when hooked to our 35', dual axel RV with brakes on both axels. Our dealer jacked around for few months stating they "never seen this before" and "your trailer must not be compatible". The dealer would not disable IBC from the ECU config setup and had no solution.

To hook up the aftermarket brake controller you will need to order Tekonsha trim panel with the intergraded mount plate with 3 switch mounting holes. I had to run a power wire for my Tekonsha P3 through firewall boot to the main fuse box (added inline fuse and hooked up to empty fuse block). I unscrewed IBC and zip-tied it back against support, installed Tekonsha P3 with supply 4 wire harness.
    -Red wire hooks to third brake wire located drivers side kick panel. (thin red wire goes to third brake light, you can find it on drivers side sill plate, harness on floor next to driver seat going to back of cab)
    -Black wire hoods to battery
    -white wire grounded to dash support
    -Blue wire ran behind the center dash to passenger side outer kick plate and hooked to red wire at connector AJ6. AJ6 is located below the Trailer Brake ECU behind the glove box.

Connector AJ6 is located on passenger pillar wall lower kickplate (remove door step plate and lower under the dash side cover(no tools needed) and you will see a cluster of connectors and the connector with single blue wire (thick gauge wire coming from Trailer Brake ECU) turning into a single red wire. The red wire goes to the trailer brake connector on the rear bumper for the trailer brake. Unplug the connector and connect the Tekonsha brake controller wire (Blue) to the red wire at connector AJ6. The blue wire coming from IBC will now be unplugged and the factory IBC is now bypassed. Leave the blue end of AJ6 unplugged.

New Tekonsha P3 will need new dash plate for Tekonsha P2 or P3, took me 4 hours to do start to finish but never have any more issue. My factory IBC worked but always seemed to fail on long trips and when braking frequent. Dealer still will not admit to any issue with the controller even though the truck was in the shop three times for the same issue. IBC would display OFF when I increased Gain to set trailer brakes. What a joke.

If your Tundra did not come with factory IBC, your truck is plug-and-play ready for all aftermarket brake controllers, and installing the controller will take 10-15 min to install the unit once you order trim panel, controller, and Toyota tundra aftermarket hardness. Toyota dropped the ball on this deal, a truck you can't pull a trailer safely and every dealer follows suit with the same talking point, "it must be your trailer" If you have a smaller trailer or trailer with one set of axel brakes, factory IBC will most likely work for you. My trailer has brakes on each axel (two axels, two sets)

Last edited: May 7, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top