1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone know anything about wood stoves?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by GreyToy, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Oct 1, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    GreyToy

GreyToy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Any idea of what this one is? I found this on the back part of my property with a tree growing through it. Finally got around to cutting down the tree last Fall and dragged it back to the House. Wife wanted to use it out back. Cleaned it up, burned in it. Getting ready to replace the fire brick that was in it. It's not home made, I know that much, the only photo of one similar I could find was a Sears & Roebuck. There are no markings. But the Sears & Roebuck had one with the same type of rear legs and round front legs.

Also found at the time is the door sitting on the top, not from the same stove but from a Glenwood No. 14, I also have the remnants of a post-colonial House on my property that finally fell down in the 1950's or so. The fireplace bricks and stone are piled up about 300 feet from where this stove and door was. Putting 2 and 2 together I would say the Glenwood No.14 was probably in that house. This one, I don't know what i is. There was never a wood or coal stove in my house.

[​IMG]

Kimosabe and Sunnier like this.
  2. Oct 1, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    GatorBodine

GatorBodine New Member

Member:
    Its in good shape that is for sure. Lots of possibilities for use outdoors if you want to.

3. Oct 1, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    GreyToy

GreyToy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    I wire brushed the rust off and painted it with high temp paint.

4. Oct 1, 2021 at 4:59 PM
    1stGen2000

1stGen2000 New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 RCLB 4WD SR5
    Camper shell, 4600's, FJ wheels, and lots of dents
    keeps the area warm and you can cook on top of it. Works best indoors for heating purposes. Thats my understanding. If you have a lot of extra trees you can save on heating bills.

5. Oct 4, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Regardless of what model it is, I'd hold onto it for dear life. Obviously you can still buy them but I pretty much guarantee that one is built better than most stuff you can buy today. Nice find!

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  6. Oct 4, 2021 at 11:25 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Hello Pizza Oven!!!!

Rodtheviking and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  7. Oct 4, 2021 at 12:09 PM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    It looks like a simple steel stove. It is pretty big, so it was designed to heat a large area. Since it does not have a hatch to feed it from the top then it was probably not a higher end stove when new. Also, I don't see any way for air to enter the fire box, so there is probably an adjustable vent on the bottom of the door to let air in control the burn.

8. Oct 4, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia TRD PRO Lunar Rock
    Swimmers gonna swim
    it doesn't appear to be one that was utilized (or it shouldn't have been at least) indoors since there doesn't appear to be a latch system (unless it was on the door itself) to keep it tightly sealed, no vents to let heat get to exterior, and not an ash catch tray. seems more like an outside or shop wood burning stove. my dad had one used inside his house for about 25 years and another one used at his shop, but that one had parts on top to remove. the ones used in the house had a "seal" to keep the smoke from entering the room/house.
    still a pretty cool find. I'd definitely keep and use outside. getting a simple door made for it shouldn't be too hard.

9. Oct 4, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia TRD PRO Lunar Rock
    Swimmers gonna swim
    my dad, grandfather, and 2 uncles all had ones similar to this we'd have to split wood for yearly that heated the houses.
    6022484.jpg
    my dad had the one very much like this in his mechanic shop that we'd cook chili on sometimes when I worked there during christmas break.
    img.jpg

10. Oct 4, 2021 at 1:47 PM
    LuvCRVs

LuvCRVs New Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All Weather Floor Mats
    As a teenager, we heated our 2-story house with full basement (three total levels) with a wood stove for the better part of 3 winters. This was the late 70's when oil shot up in price. This was north of Minneapolis. My grandpa had 40 acres that we lived on that needed a lot of trees removed so we pretty much had an endless supply. Nothing feels as warm as a house heated with wood. BUT...given the constant harvesting of trees, hauling the wood back, splitting stacking hauling wood in and hauling ashes out, cleaning the chimney and just the constant feeding the wood into the stove...frankly I was traumatized to the point I will not even burn a single duraflame log in our fireplace. I would rather wear 5 sweaters and shiver than even think about burning wood. Lucky I live in South TX now!

11. Oct 5, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    GreyToy

GreyToy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks to these posts I found out what it is. I know nothing about wood stoves. It is a Scandinavian Wood Stove made by Morso and imported. These were also called Nordic Box Stoves and they became so popular American companies started making them. American companies still called them Scandinavian and Nordic stoves but Sears sold a version called the Wood Box Heater. This one would have ran about $80-$100 1975-1978. If anyone is interested, these are more efficient than American style wood stoves according to the Wood Stove Handbook (1978). Because they were more efficient, more and more Americans began turning to wood for heating in the 1970's. And these got very popular so everyone began making them. Scandinavian wood stoves are solid and completely sealed. There is an American version in the Handbook that uses a soapstone slab mounted on the side for convection. This one still has the baffle mounted in the top.

Fotnot likes this.
  12. Oct 6, 2021 at 2:54 AM
    trucknut

trucknut New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cav blue SR5 TRD Off Road
    We heat our house with a wood stove insert to avoid using the electric baseboard heaters. Love the Jotul Rockland. That find looks great for sitting outside for so long

Products Discussed in

To Top