1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else trying to drop weight..success stories?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by IowaGuy, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Jul 9, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    I am not so much on a diet as I am a lifestyle change. Long story short I was just eating like crap and received a bad health report that kinda scared me and I need to drop my BP a bit. I was mostly just overeating out of boredom and habit. Something just clicked in my head that I need to change.

I am 53 yrs old, 6 ft tall and was a 235 lbs. (now 220) and my goal is 185 for weight.

Right now I am primarily doing the CICO (calories in, calories out) method along with one meal a day and fasting. I usually skip breakfast and might have a snack at lunch like a piece of fruit or nuts. I am trying to keep under 1200 calories 5 days a week and a few more on weekends. For my one meal I am just eating a lot less and I try to limit myself to low carbs and low sugar. Again, something just clicked in my head that I need to change and I already feel better. I am teaching myself to eat better and find healthy snacks and learning that I am not really hungry. Cutting down on beer and alcohol have been the most difficult for me.

I am somewhat active at work, sometimes working outside, but I also ride a desk many days. I have a bad back so I am not a fan of doing gym stuff, but I do like walking and hiking when it isn't 110 degrees here in AZ.

The first few lbs dropped off easily in a few weeks. I am afraid I have hit a weight loss plateau and my body is resitting on its set weight point. From what I have read this can be changed and reset if you just keep at it.

Anyone else here going through this, and tips or encouragement or success stories?

2. Oct 10, 2022 at 1:03 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    When I first saw this I thought it was about losing weight on the truck to up payload. I’d like to drop both types of weight.

3. Oct 10, 2022 at 1:06 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    1200 is way too low for you. I dropped 75lbs about 8 years ago, and have kept most of it off. Struggling the last year or so after getting covid but that's a different discussion.

You're going to fail trying to stay at that calorie goal. 1800-2000 is a more realistic goal to give yourself a chance. Get yourself a food scale if you're serious about it, any other measuring system is a crap shoot.

Your weight will fluctuate some days you'll be down 3 then up 6 the next. An overall weight graph is a better way to look at it, trending down overall is what you're looking for.

For reference I was 255 in 2014, dropped to 175 in 2018 at my lowest and typically maintain around 190. Currently at 215 for some mental health reasons but slowly dropping.

4. Oct 10, 2022 at 1:20 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Yup been there. Consistency is not my strong point.

5. Oct 10, 2022 at 2:18 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    Update. It has been about three months since I posted this and I am down to 195 and dropped 25 lbs since posting. I kinda slowed down on my plan and August and Sept. were difficult on my activity level since it was so blasted hot in AZ. I did hit a stall that took a long time to break and took a lot of patience. I added a few calories back in and some occasional caffeine and that is what broke the stall believe it or not. I think the previous poster was correct in the amount of caleries being too low and our bodies will go into preservation mode. There is also the fact that I love beer and that doesnt help.

ATV25, MS22, dittothat and 6 others like this.
  6. Oct 10, 2022 at 2:37 PM
    Taco-Blender

Taco-Blender Old Guys Rule

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4
    That's awesome! Keep doing what you're doing and you'll hit your 185 goal in no time.

Back in 2017 Mrs Blender wanted to lose a few pounds (I think it was actually aimed at me. I was a pig @ 220 on a skinny 6ft frame), and she suggested we try the Whole 30 thing (which, I think, is similar to Keto. I'm not a diet guy). Anyhow, I tell her "No exercise, right? Just change eating habits, right? If so, I'm in!" and then proceed to shed 30lbs in thirty days. Mrs. Blender, doing the exact same thing as me, manages 5lbs and is NOT happy about it. Blames me for "spiking her food" with some kind of magic calories.

I eventually got down to 175 and have hovered between that and 180 ever since.

7. Oct 10, 2022 at 3:29 PM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon New Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red Tundra
    Low carb diet has always worked for me.

MS22 and Aerindel like this.
  8. Oct 10, 2022 at 3:47 PM
    Mike59

Mike59 Kentucky Traveller

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra DC Limited 4x4 SSM
    I dropped 135 lbs beginning in December 2021. I did it by eating very little. My entire diet was thus:

a protein shake for breakfast (24 oz skim milk, 2oz protein powder.... calcium cassienate)

for lunch I ate 6 oz of cherry tomatoes, and a whole naval orange.

For dinner I had a salad with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and 2 oz of shredded cheese.

I ate this every weekday, and occasionally had a steak or chicken entree on Saturday or Sunday night.

I guessed I was eating about 1000- 1200 calories a day. I live a sedentary lifestyle mostly, as a driver. I did join a gym and went mostly every morning for treadmill and other machines, and walking around the neighborhood in the evenings.

9. Oct 10, 2022 at 4:08 PM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon New Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red Tundra
    Zero carbs in rum.

Aerindel likes this.
  10. Oct 10, 2022 at 4:15 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    Keto. Its like magic. I can lose a pound, per day. Dropped 60lbs in two months.

And yes...Zero carbs in Rum. Although in Keto, your body will start coming up with carbs from things that normally aren't counted as carbs so you can't drink unlimited hard booze and maintain keto, but you can have it. A shot of rum in a diet Dr. Pepper is my Keto desert of choice.

"I think the previous poster was correct in the amount of caleries being too low and our bodies will go into preservation mode."

Which is why Keto works. You don't reduce calories, or even count them.

Mike59 likes this.
  11. Oct 10, 2022 at 4:17 PM
    eick

eick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax TRD Off Road
    Diets don’t work long term, as you said in original post you need a lifestyle change.

I made a change to not drink anything with calories in it and to not eat anything with sugar in it. I eat carbs during the week only from veggies. On Sunday I have a cheat day where I allow myself to eat a ham and cheese croissant and for dinner I’ll have a big ass baked potato.

Steak and veggies, pork and veggies, chicken and veggies, almost every meal is like that. I guess it’s close to keto and I’m sure I’m in ketosis most of the time but I don’t monitor it. Just what works for me without driving me crazy on limiting what food I can eat.

12. Oct 10, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Tundar the Barbarian

Tundar the Barbarian New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM TRD OffRoad
    Speakers, amp, subs, floorboard lights...and the little step thing under the bumper
    Awesome progress!!!

I'm diabetic, and couldn't keep numbers under control. My doctor suggested keto, and I couldn't go full on, just not healthy long-term. BUT, stopped eating anything with sugar and limited all my carbs. Meats and/or fruits and vegetables. Have the eggs and bacon, not the toast. Bojangles Cajun filet biscuit with Bo-rounds (little hash browns rounds), I just take the biscuit off, and.only eat one or two of the rounds. Went from right at 200 to right at 150 over about a year, I think it took me. Admittedly, spent all of the summer digging a.French drain by hand full perimeter inside my crawl space, but diet (no sugars, light or no carbs) and reasonable exercise worked for me. Keep doing like you're doing, those last 10'll fall right off! Good luck!

13. Oct 10, 2022 at 4:51 PM
    Roctane84

Roctane84 Tread On Them

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 TRD Pro Solar Octane (SOLD)
    I’m 6’2” and haven’t weighed 185 since I was in high school. lol. Even at my fittest through the Navy in my 20s, I was a solid, fit, healthy 215-220. Of course this made our swims a lot of fun because I was as negative buoyant as a lead pipe, but I managed by just never stopping or even attempting to float. My floating was swimming in circles. :rofl:
    Much older now and lots of medications with their side effects, including weight gain, and it is just hard eating healthy to begin with in the South, much less Louisiana specifically.
    As far as when I have cut weight, which I need to do again, the best advice I can offer is not to focus so much on calories in, but the calories out. Your net calories is all that matters. At my healthiest I was probably eating 4000-5000 calories a day but was burning at least as many. Don’t limit yourself to only eating a specific amount unless you know you won’t achieve the calorie goal in work/exercise that day. And thats the real bottom line that no one wants to hear; exercise. You literally have to be active every day. I absolutely love running and used to run between 3 to 8 miles per night. Unfortunately, my knees are jacked (thanks Uncle Sam) and its a bit hard to do that these days. I really miss it though and sometimes I consider just getting back into running anyway, and just keep at it til I just get my knees replaced.
    The other thing is to eat healthy options, preferably steak, fish, chicken, and plain or steamed vegetables. Stay away from dressing and butter and cheese and all that crap. Its okay to have a cheat day now and then and of course, holidays everyone has no real choice, but bottom line is if you stay consistent at not overeating, being active daily, and eating healthy things 90% of the time, your weight will drop to where your body needs it to be. Dont focus on those stupid height/ weight charts either. Whoever invented those is insane. I worked with some fit, fast, hard as woodpecker lips mfers in the Navy, and based on those charts we were all deep into the Obese category.

14. Oct 10, 2022 at 5:16 PM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    I went from 267 down to 182 in 3 months riding bikes. Kept it off for 7 years. Been slacking lately. Need to get back at it.

Tundar the Barbarian likes this.
  15. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:48 PM
    Taco-Blender

Taco-Blender Old Guys Rule

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4
    Rum is good! Just find something you like that doesn't require a mixer. I prefer the stuff from Four Square distilleries out of Barbados. They add no color and no sugar.

2021_PNW_Trip_-63.jpg

16. Oct 10, 2022 at 8:05 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    I've never been able to acquire a taste for dry alcohol. Unless its sweet, or at least pretending to be, I don't see the point.

Taco-Blender[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 10, 2022 at 8:14 PM
    Randydw

Randydw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ozark,mo
    Vehicle:
    2021 platinum crew cab
    I’m 56 years old, standing 6’4. I was up to 250lb but have dropped to 230lb. walking 5 miles a day. Mostly to strengthen my heart and bring blood pressure down naturally. So far so good

Sean492 and dittothat like this.
  18. Oct 10, 2022 at 9:48 PM
    Dunes

Dunes New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    2023 Grey CrewCab 6.5 TUN 4x4
    Always stuck at 189-192 Lbs at 50Y 6' but I am not meate eater that easily. 7 bags of ready to eat salad from Winco here in Ariz and morning breakfast with Pecans from WillcoxAZ and some other nutts from costco. sometime omlette. Hard par is: how do i quit coffee... this is becoming talk-n-sip. no sip no talk.

19. Oct 10, 2022 at 9:53 PM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    Why would you quit coffee? I started drinking coffee at 51 when I quit beer and cokes. Coffee goes with keto. Just have to stop drinking it in the afternoon and burn the caffeine out of your system with exercise.

Mike59 likes this.
  20. Oct 11, 2022 at 2:13 AM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    When I quit soda I dropped 10 lbs the first 2 weeks. If I do a coffe dink now I am jacked up for hours.

Mike59 likes this.
  21. Oct 11, 2022 at 7:47 AM
    MrZack

MrZack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Crewmax
    In January 2020 I weighed the most I had in almost a decade-225lbs.

Went full carnivore for a month to starve out cravings. Got down to 202. It was frustrating for my wife that I wasnt eating dinners that she cooked so I went keto to introduce veggies again. Did calorie tracking and got down to 180. I was super deflated looking, lost my ass I had. Basically looked like a runner. I was also starving from the deficit. 2021 I dropped the keto junk food, and switched to more meat-based with the only non-meat being veggies at dinner. I put my weight back on since I was fixing the damage from starving myself the year before.

Now, I eat tons of meat, butter, little veggies and fruit. Not a staple are nuts, seeds, grains, wheat etc. I hover around 202-205 but look much better at this weight now than 2 years ago.

I have zero cravings for processed junk and feel amazing.

22. Oct 11, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    MrZack

MrZack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Crewmax
    I remember back in HS dropping soda and juice, I lost like 20lbs in a month.

Products Discussed in

To Top