1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else notice this as a possible cause to the drivers side wind noise?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by tropro, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:02 PM
    tropro

tropro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Platinum
    My drivers side wind noise has become progressivley worse and noticed it even more this past weekend while driving over a bumpy two lane hwy. (Most noticable over 50 MPH.) I noticed a change in the wind noise with each bump leading me to think the door does not latch tight. It's been super cold here in MN this week and I found if I put my hand behind me on the driver window next to the rear window seal, I can feel a slight breeze of cold air. What's interesting, if I push the door outward from the door panel with my elbow, the wind noise gets louder. If I pull the door handle towards me as hard as I can, wind noise almost is completely gone. I thought great, problem solved, adjust the door strike. Nope, strike or latch does not look adjustable. Anyone else discover this as the possible issue that may be causing the wind noise many have complained about? So irritating!

2. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:14 PM
    devron11

devron11 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Denver
    Following discussion - I have the noise and tried moving latch and strike but no adjustment is possible.

3. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:18 PM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Place some extra tubing in the door seal and see if it helps

4. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    Troyboy84

Troyboy84 New Member

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD Offroad

my truck will be going in for the second time tomorrow morning in an attempt to fix the drivers door/window wind noise. They’ve already replaced the putter window seal with zero success. My service people have been great but they are handcuffed by Toyota corporate. I’ll keep everyone updated if anything is resolved.

Cp1 likes this.
  5. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:36 PM
    jsf343

jsf343 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    soon 2023 toyota TRD pro
    Mine seems to be slowly getting worse as well, very annoying as I have pretty bad tinnitus and it’s doesn’t help that at all. As for the noise I can roll the window down just about 1/2” and mine goes away, makes me think it’s window/seal, but maybe all it’s doing is changing the airflow slightly and maybe it is the door, never even thought about that, going to look into this door possibility more.

we need to continue to keep each other updated, I think eventually this will be figured out and resolved but we need to be our own detective and advocate unfortunately, and it’s going to take time.

anyway good detailed discussion op and others, good info.

Kap1 likes this.
  6. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:48 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Just picked up my 1794 from service now regarding this same issue. Wind noise and whistling at the driver side window.

Dealer decided to do the TSB that plugs holes of the lower control arm... And ordered parts. Probably won't help but we'll see...

7. Feb 1, 2023 at 6:13 AM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    The air usually gets in through the door seals where door meets the body (not the window trim seal like everyone was freaking out about).

If you want to prove your theory, put painter’s tape around the door and go for a drive.

8. Feb 1, 2023 at 6:25 AM
    jsf343

jsf343 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    soon 2023 toyota TRD pro
    Way to contribute, and I don’t see anyone freaking out, just offering thoughts and ideas on the problem , but whatever.

If you read all the posts some have almost fixed the problem by having window seal replaced, some have had it almost fixed by mirror replacement, others have not had luck with either. Point is there doesn’t seem to be any one thing that fixes all, And the problem is not just isolated to the door, window or mirror.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  9. Feb 1, 2023 at 6:28 AM
    tropro

tropro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Platinum

Thanks for the suggestion but this should not be my job to figure out why my 67K truck leaks fing air so bad it sounds like a 50 yr old truck! Also, not a theory but an observation. You may be correct on where it's coming from, but doesn't change the fact that it's not a problem. Not to mention, it's not up to me to sovle and correct an issue on a new truck. And I'm not freaking out, frustrated.

TrailKiller and in_the_mud like this.
  10. Feb 1, 2023 at 7:40 AM
    Markysharky

Markysharky New Member

Member:
    Mines doing the same thing. The door windows seals look janky but that’s not where my noise comes from nor is it affected by the mirror position. To me it seems like the door rubber seal is too soft and not getting squished enough on the top section.

TrailKiller likes this.
  11. Feb 1, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    I don't believe that anyone came out and said that after dealership replaced something, the noise completely went away.

I think closest someone said that one side was fixed but other wasn't...

I've been watching forums but seems like nobody reported a true solution to wind noise issue yet

12. Feb 1, 2023 at 10:24 AM
    jsf343

jsf343 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    soon 2023 toyota TRD pro
    I meant the word "fixed" as a word that was part of a general statement referring to what one person or another did in their case, that's why I mentioned the other items (door, window, mirror, each of which helped that individual to one degree or another from my understanding of past posts) were they part of a bigger "fix"? no, otherwise we would not all be talking about it like we are and I thought that was understood by my last sentence.

In any case I have edited my post with word "almost" so no more misunderstandings or somebody thinking I am misrepresenting a possible solution when there so far isn't one.

13. Feb 1, 2023 at 6:44 PM
    PBNB

PBNB TRD Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Crewmax L
    MBM - TRD Offroad
    I have been wondering about the bottom of the mirrors randomly falling out and damaging the camera. There is a gap under the mirror where this camera cover sits. This gap around the cover would be in the path of air rushing around the mirror. Sort of like blowing air over an open bottle. My mirrors have not jettisoned the camera cover yet and I am thinking about applying a bead of caulking into this gap mainly to secure the both covers. There might be a benefit in stopping the wind noise as well. I am hoping to do this soon. Fingers crossed!

charlieyankee88 likes this.
  14. Feb 1, 2023 at 8:20 PM
    chrispage

chrispage New Member

Member:
    I was talking to the service department the other day and to me it looked like the seal in the top rear of front doors was odd shaped and didn't seem to seal well. The tech told me there is rumor mill that it is the mirror design causing it. I notice it on both sides and at varying intervals, in other words it is not constant.

15. Feb 1, 2023 at 8:24 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    If it's mirror design, then everyone would have this same whistling issue.

Mine was whistling loud for the first couple of months, if I close mirrors when whistling stopped.

Now it stopped whistling loud, just some wind and slight whistling noise, and closing mirrors doesn't do anything anymore. I didn't change anything but mirrors don't whistle loud anymore, not sure why

16. Feb 2, 2023 at 5:04 PM
    dekeman

dekeman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Ottawa, ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limted TRD
    As someone who has had their first-run door seals replaced to no effect, I was intrigued by another post somewhere (and the OP here) that suggested it's an issue with the alignment of the door, specifically the forward seal that meets with the front fender. Sounds like it might be an assembly issue where the doors are misaligned (out of plumb) just enough to let air through, thus wind noise. Just guessing here, but I will try some painter's tape over that gap to see if it helps. Once it warms up.

jsf343 likes this.
  17. Feb 2, 2023 at 5:06 PM
    jsf343

jsf343 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    soon 2023 toyota TRD pro
    Interesting theory. I wonder if there has been less of an issue with 23’s?

18. Feb 2, 2023 at 6:43 PM
    Troyboy84

Troyboy84 New Member

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Just got my truck back from my dealership. Opened a case for excessive wind noise, taped all the door seams to try and isolate the noise, which can be heard at the top rear, the highest and farthest back point on the drivers door. Waiting to hear their plan, assuming they will be replacing the door trim seals. They already replaced the window trim seal to no avail. Unfortunately I’m not confident the new door seals will solve the problem. Luckily I have great people working me at the dealership, so hopefully we’ll get it figured out eventually.

CringyDad and Kap1 like this.
  19. Feb 2, 2023 at 7:01 PM
    Infernotundra17

Infernotundra17 2017 Inferno SR5 Crew Max

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Inferno orange
    Black Rhino 20" Go Rhino RB20 steps Magnaflow muffler
    I had the same problem on my2017 crew max ,was driving me crazy.I went to ACE hardware and bought some self adhesive weather seal and installed it on the top part of the door and problem is now gone

charlieyankee88 and Kap1 like this.
  20. Feb 2, 2023 at 7:05 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Did you figured out which part causes the noise after taping it?

21. Feb 2, 2023 at 7:14 PM
    Troyboy84

Troyboy84 New Member

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD Offroad
    no exactly, after taping all the seams along the upper part of the front and rear door, it got a little bit better. I may try taping the vertical seam between the front fender and the door.

Kap1[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Feb 2, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    Infernotundra17

Infernotundra17 2017 Inferno SR5 Crew Max

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Inferno orange
    Black Rhino 20" Go Rhino RB20 steps Magnaflow muffler
    I did from the front fender to the rear end of the front door .I think it's the oem weather stripping

23. Feb 2, 2023 at 7:30 PM
    Troyboy84

Troyboy84 New Member

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD Offroad
    weather stripping meaning the black rubber that gets sandwiched between the door and body of the truck? That’s what I am thinking as well. I’ve read on here that some people have had it replaced and didn’t necessarily fix the problem. Weird how some trucks have excessive noise and some seem to be super quiet.

24. Feb 2, 2023 at 8:45 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Exactly, why can't we just put two trucks side by side and study them to find out the cause

25. Feb 2, 2023 at 10:27 PM
    topdec

topdec New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra LTD ORP 2023 Tundra LTD Base (Sold)
    do you find yourself having to close your driver-side door harder, or need to close it a few times because it won’t latch? I do on my 2023.
    I’m just wondering if it might actually be the door seals?

26. Feb 2, 2023 at 10:55 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Not really, my doors close just fine, I haven't noticed anything unusual.

I tried to pull up the window trim and door during the wind noise but it didn't do anything to change it... So not sure.

Mine whistling noise would actually stop when I would fold down the mirrors, then start again when mirrors were opened. But now mirrors have no effect... No idea why. So it's a bit of a moving target for me.

27. Feb 3, 2023 at 1:07 AM
    FLTundra22

FLTundra22 New Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Limited TRD Off Road 4x4 Crew Max Lunar Rock
    TRD 3” lift, 35” Nitto Trail Grapplers, BackFlip tonneau
    In the process of spending two trips already to the dealer after getting a case # going via Toyota Brand Engagement. My ‘22 has an annoying plastic-on-plastic sounding crackle/rattle that is coming from the front doors/windows. Seems to worsen with lower temps and at higher speeds on the highway + 70mph…but it can just pop up randomly on bumpier surfaces. First trip in they replaced the entire door panels on both shotgun and driver’s side and the noise described was reduced (and fixed a rattle in the driver’s side door when playing music w/ heavy bass) but that crackle/rattle is still there. If I press outwards on the glass of the window when the noise is present it goes away so thinking it’s gotta’ be the weather seals/stripping? Will be headed back in soon as they’ve received new seals but they are currently on nationwide backorder…no surprise there. I’ll update all progress as it goes…love almost everything about my new Tundra but having an ongoing rattling cheap plastic cabin noise in a $60K + truck has my eye twitching.

CringyDad likes this.
  28. Feb 3, 2023 at 7:00 AM
    topdec

topdec New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra LTD ORP 2023 Tundra LTD Base (Sold)

So could it be the door weather seal being thinner on the 22s?

29. Feb 3, 2023 at 11:04 AM
    23Tundra

23Tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra 1794 - Stolen!
    Yes, i just dropped my truck off at the dealer for the same issue they are going to take a look and let me know

30. Feb 3, 2023 at 2:28 PM
    Dethred

Dethred New Member

Member:
    This 100% happens to me. I close the door harder than a regular car and it still won't latch. Basically have to slam it in anger, and I get noise at 20+ mph, it's louder than the radio at 10 volume, and infuriating for an $80k truck (23 Capstone)

Products Discussed in

To Top