1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone do a brake caliper rebuild?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by dumbassdave, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Oct 9, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    dumbassdave

dumbassdave [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax Limited
    On my last tire rotation, I saw that the rubber seals on my caliper pistons were shot. Has anyone replaced these? From what I have seen online, replacing them doesn't look too bad.

It looks like it's about $13 per corner, so pretty inexpensive.

I'm also concerned about my brake bleeder screw as there is a good chance it hasn't moved since it was installed. I've heard that if you break that thing you are buying a new caliper as they are near impossible to remove when broken.

Or should I just look at new calipers? Gotta be less time putting in new calipers??

Thanks for any wisdom that anyone can share.

SumTingWong and 831Tun like this.
  2. Oct 9, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I rebuilt my calipers once upon a time. It cost me a really nice car.

dcsleeper408, Luckydog and GNTundra like this.
  3. Oct 9, 2018 at 2:19 PM
    dumbassdave

dumbassdave [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax Limited
    So, you'd vote new caliper then!

landphil, GNTundra and 831Tun[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Oct 9, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    LOL, Yeah, that's what I'd do. One legendary crash was enough. For me the risks outweigh the rewards in this instance.

5. Oct 9, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    tye

tye New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tye
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro DC
    Diamondback cover, flowmaster exhaust, n-fab sliders
    I used to do it all the time in my father's shop. It is a relatively simple procedure. Just need the tools.
    Nearly always needed a torch to heat up the zerk to remove it.

GNTundra likes this.
  6. Oct 9, 2018 at 2:48 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    I rebuilt the front calipers on my previous Tacoma. Even buying a couple new pistons and using all OEM parts, I was half the cost of aftermarket reman, and a far better end result IMHO. It’s not hard, just time consuming, and care must be taken to not damage the seals when pushing the pistons in.

7. Oct 9, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon New Member

Member:
    wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 dc
    i've rebuilt numerous calipers. it's a pita to get the old cups out, but they're usually pretty cheap anyway. on the rear with just one, it will be easy..just hit it with air. use a good flare wrench to get the bleed screw out and spray it ahead of time with a good penetrant or better still, loctite freeze and release. in 35 years of wrenching i've only once replaced a caliper and that was due to me losing patience on the pistons. i worked them over later when i wasn't in a time crunch and now have that one rebuilt as a spare.

dumbassdave[OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 23, 2018 at 4:03 PM
    Bnthere1213

Bnthere1213 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    I've rebuilt my front calipers, not bad job to do.
    Used Toyota parts for rebuild.

9. Oct 24, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    The rubber you are seeing is just a dust seal. Inside there's an o-ring that actually keeps the hydraulic fluid from leaking out. If your bleeders haven't been loosened then they most likely will break free pretty easily. It's when bolts are removed then reinstalled that they corrode and rust. Are your pads nearly worn out or are your rotors needing replacing? If not I would leave it alone until they do need replacing. If you really do suspect your bleeders could be an issue then there's a real good chance that the brake lines will also give you problems.

On my 1st gen Tundra I replaced the calipers because the two pins that hold the brake pads in place were rusted to the point where the only way to remove them was drill them out. That was the second time I did the brake pads. Since i do my own work I bought new rotors and loaded calipers ahead of time knowing that when the time came I was ready.

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  10. Dec 29, 2018 at 10:51 PM
    Jermalex

Jermalex New Member

Member:
    Central Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra 5.7L DC LTD
    Billstien 6112/5160 shocks, EBC Rotors and Pads, lots of little tweeks
    I just finished a rebuild on my front calipers. I got a Toyota caliper re-build kit for $12; Pins, clips and mounting kit were another ~$10. I was going to do the Rears as well, but the upper slider bolts were completely seized up so had to do all-new calipers; $260 after core charge....ouch!

The re-build wasn't a hard job, just took a little time. I think it took 3-4 hrs with a deep clean, scrub and new paint job on the caliper bodies. This Video was a huge help (and he's got great beer taste too!); this is a good Video for painting.

When I was inspecting my pistons, I noticed a few of them had a very faint line running around them. Presumably, this is gunk, or imprinting of the rubber o-ring somehow on the sliding surface of the piston. These pistons were the hardest to get to come out of the caliper body. Interestingly, they also matched up with the pads and rotor surfaces that were in the worst shape. I could've sprayed brake cleaner and rubbed acetone on these lines all day and they weren't going to come off; but good-ole vigorous thumb rubbing did the trick. All the pistons cleaned up real nice and after cleaning everything spotless and lubing up the new o-rings, it all went together perfectly.

I also replaced rotors and pads and upgraded to braided SS lines on all four corners. So far, the whole brake system feels great and is working much much better.

With just a bit of time, some basic tools and mechanical ability, and lots of brake cleaner and Beer, I'm pretty sure most anyone out there with an attention to detail could rebuild their calipers.

Products Discussed in

To Top