1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any way to know if frame was replaced?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by skunk, May 15, 2020.

1. May 15, 2020 at 8:04 AM
    skunk

skunk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2005 Maroon Tundra DC
    Hey guys, I am new to this forum and used the search function to look through older posts but the threads on this topic did not have the specific info I am looking for.

I'm wondering if there is any way to verify if the frame on my 2005 DC Limited was replaced due to the recall. I bought it a week ago and compared to the other two that I looked at for sale the frame on this one is showing no signs of rust. The other two I looked at had spent some years in Missouri, I am in Northwest Arkansas and the truck I purchased was originally bought in Texas and according to the carfax it looks like it spent some time in Texas and in Arkansas.

I'm wondering if the fact that it has been mostly in the south could account for the lack of rust. I saw multiple posts suggesting to go to toyota's website and searching by VIN, when I do that all I am told is that there are no active recalls on my truck. I called the dealers that had serviced the truck in 2008 according to the carfax and they were not able to give me any specific information as to what was done to it.

Since there is no rust on it I'm not particularly worried about it but I'd like to drive this truck for many years so just want to be sure if I should be treating it for rust as is suggested in other threads on this topic.

Any help or information about if I can verify in another way if it was replaced or not would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. May 15, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    Register at toyota.com/owners and check it's service history...if it was replaced, it should be in there....you an also call a dealer and give them your VIN and they should be able to tell you...I think.

theBIGnaud likes this.
  3. May 15, 2020 at 9:02 AM
    skunk

skunk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2005 Maroon Tundra DC
    Ok, I have registered and am not showing any service history related to the frame, only one record from 2008 at 13,000 miles showing A/C repair or something to that effect. The dealer was also not able to verify anything for me using the VIN. I suppose this means the frame was not replaced and it just happens to be in good shape. Thanks for your input.

4. May 15, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    Not all the frames went bad. It may just be the owner took good overall care of his truck.

skunk[OP] and speedtre like this.
  5. May 15, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Greetings from Cabot, AR, welcome to the forum. Purchased my 2000 AC in California and it has lived here in Arkansas for 15 years with no rust issues. I have not treated the frame at all. No rust to speak of beyond its 20 y/o "patina".

N84434 and skunk[OP] like this.
  6. May 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM
    skunk

skunk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2005 Maroon Tundra DC
    This is promising and kind of what I was thinking would be the case. Thank you for your perspective.

7. May 15, 2020 at 2:16 PM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    What does the rest of the underside of the truck look like? I looked at a truck with a new frame....but the rest of the underneath was a RUST pit and I walked away after driving 18 hours (the dealer sent me many close up shots of the frame, but hardly anywhere else underneath...I learned a hard lesson that day). If the rest of the truck looks good underneath then you just got a truck that was taken care of which is way better than a new frame. Frames don't wear out except from rust, so if it's not rusty, it really doesn't matter if it was new or not...congrats on the new rig....:thumbsup:

8. May 17, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    skunk

skunk [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2005 Maroon Tundra DC
    The rest of it looks great, that's a good point and something I didn't consider. The underside as well as the bed from underneath are free of rust and in great condition, so I think I've got my answer. The truck does have a rebuilt title due to being side swiped and having the drivers side doors repaired but it is sound mechanically and the repairs were only cosmetic and well done. Thanks for your perspective.

speedtre[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top