1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any trappers in here?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Terndrerrr, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Apr 30, 2022 at 7:07 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr [OP] guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Figured this belonged in the hunting section. I have taken over a hunting lease that is flat out overrun with coyotes. I’ve gone out a couple times with a predator call and still haven’t seen one in person. They are all over my trail cams, though. So, I’m considering trapping to help control their population. I have watched a couple YouTube videos on the matter. Aside from that, I have zero info or experience on the matter. Here’s the first video I watched. At this point, I’m basically planning on buying all this guy’s gear and trying to replicate these trap sets of his. Really need to control this population.

Black@Blue19 likes this.
  2. May 7, 2022 at 11:08 AM
    Trappererick

Trappererick New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC SR5 TRD OffRoad
    Dobinson's 2.25" front coil overs with .25 shim, Dobinson's rear shocks and, Ironman Performance Rear leaf pack. CaliRiased Side Shooter ditch lights, 17" Icon Alloy Rebound Bronze wheels with Kenda Klever 35x10.5x17
    I buy all my stuff here: https://www.fntpost.com/. They have some good kits for guys just starting out and some good books and videos that will help shorten the learning curve. Another place to check would any State Trapping organizations. Maybe find a local guy that might help you out. Most states have a local chapter of the NTA. Local fur buyers are a great resource also. Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Terndrerrr[OP] likes this.
  3. May 7, 2022 at 1:14 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr [OP] guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Awesome. Thank you! I’m just wanting to thin the coyotes out a bit. Will let you know how it goes.

Black@Blue19 likes this.
  4. May 7, 2022 at 1:16 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM
    I clicked on this thread because I thought you were looking for Trap Rappers :(

....my bad!!!

Trappererick likes this.
  5. May 7, 2022 at 1:33 PM
    Fitzf15E

Fitzf15E New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited DC TRD OR Cement
    I picked up most of my gear from https://www.minntrapprod.com or snareshop.com, they each have a good variety, and were retailers recommended when I went through the trapping course with our Fish and Game Dept. I'm more concentrated on wolf trapping, which is like 'yotes on steroids both for size and smarts. They showed up at our hunting property a year and a half ago, but have barely been back since I got my trapping license. Did manage to pop a couple song dogs this spring when I was out looking for mountain lion though.

Trappererick likes this.
  6. May 7, 2022 at 2:16 PM
    Trappererick

Trappererick New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC SR5 TRD OffRoad
    Dobinson's 2.25" front coil overs with .25 shim, Dobinson's rear shocks and, Ironman Performance Rear leaf pack. CaliRiased Side Shooter ditch lights, 17" Icon Alloy Rebound Bronze wheels with Kenda Klever 35x10.5x17
    "I'm more concentrated on wolf trapping, which is like 'yotes on steroids both for size and smarts."

Man do you have that right! I have trapped some 60lb yotes here in Maine that looked more wolf than coyote but when I actually laid eyes on some wolves in Alaska there wasn't any doubt in my mind that you are looking at the top of the heap when it comes to canines.

I would hate to have one caught by a few toes when you walk up on it in the dark!

For the OP if you learn the dirt hole and flat set you will be a long ways towards catching some yotes. Proper trap preparation, adjustment, and good scent control practices are a real important part of it so don't take any short cuts.

Terndrerrr[OP] and Black@Blue19 like this.
  7. Jan 23, 2023 at 3:15 PM
    2014 Black tundra

2014 Black tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra sr5
    A co-worker got these two while trapping in Pennsylvania. He had to let a 2nd bobcat go because your only allowed 1 bobcat. Also only 1 fisher can be taken too. He also got a lot of raccoons and opossums too. He didn’t get any coyotes yet. I told him he might see more turkeys this spring. 4F97781B-7EC7-450C-8AD0-681A793F5DA9.jpg411F8210-2BE5-48E8-9AD4-98D1D33AF847.jpg

Terndrerrr[OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 16, 2024 at 9:43 AM
    Damie Street

Damie Street New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edsel
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CrewMax SR5 TRD OffRoad
    I'm about to try my luck with beaver and foxes. Going to be self taught and YouTube university.

Products Discussed in

To Top