1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Solution to Parking Sensor Problems?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Yardstick, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Dec 2, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    Yardstick

Yardstick [OP] New Member

Member:
    Has anyone come up with a common solution to the parking sensor problems on these trucks? I did some searching and found threads where people were having problems, but couldn't identify a solution. My left front one has had an intermittent problem since the truck was new. It will randomly come on as if there's something close to the front driver's side sensor when there is nothing around. I thought it had something to do with washing the truck, but it does it when the truck has been dry for a long time too. The truck is a 2016 and the problem started when the truck had less than 5000 miles (might have even been under 1000). The Toyota dealer wouldn't do anything about it because the problem was intermittent. I haven't actually turned the system on in quite a while to check if it has become more consistent. I have always had full-size trucks and I have functioning eyes, so I haven't missed that system. I'm just curious if there's a common (easy?) solution to this problem in case there's ever actually a reason to have that system functioning.

2. Dec 2, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Wet and dirt can cause issues with sensors. Had an issue once on my 2016 after a heavy driving rain. Once it was dry, no problems.

If I had reoccurring issues on any vehicle that still was under warranty I would be a complete pest and take it in over and over until they found the issue or replaced components until it was fixed. I am not spending my hard earned $ on an expensive truck to have issues or systems not function. If I wanted that I would have purchased a Ford, GM or Dodge!

3. Dec 2, 2020 at 9:58 AM
    Yardstick

Member:
    I tried the pest route initially (even contacted Toyota Corp) but found that it wasn't worth my time since they wouldn't do anything about the problem. My previous Tundra had a bunch of little problems too and the dealers I went to weren't very responsive on that one either. I'm not super impressed with Toyota as compared to the other brands.

4. Dec 2, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    Don't blame Toyota for bad dealership visits. The dealership is an independent business. Complain to corporate. If your actually unhappy with the product try another brand but you are moving from one of the most reliable trucks on the market.

5. Dec 3, 2020 at 3:39 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Mine will give false alerts in heavy rain and snow or when dirty. Try to clean it one more time. Make sure they are flush. When I switched to an aftermarket bumper, I didn’t have one exactly flush and it would go off. It sucks that the dealer won’t help you out. The sensors are about $100. If you try to replace it, get oem. The Chinese knock offs don’t work.

Try to take a video when it does it showing there is nothing there to take to the dealer.

Yardstick[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2020 at 7:25 AM
    Yardstick

Member:
    I think Toyota has to take some of the blame here. They use this sensor/system and it is a pretty common fault, even if sometimes it's only temporary. My 2012 Tundra didn't have a problem with that system after rain or washing or any other condition that truck encountered. The 2016 Tundra has the problem intermittently when wet or dry.

I do have video of it somewhere. I hadn't thought about that in a while. That was the final straw where I just gave up. I let the dealer know I had video and asked if they could do anything about it based on that. They said they couldn't diagnose it based on video and it would have to show the problem when they had the vehicle in the shop.

I was hoping there was a solution like looking for a pinched or loose wire somewhere, or even just replacing the sensor. I really don't have a great use case to have that system on anyway, so maybe I'll just leave it off and forget about it. And I'm not planning to dump the truck for this one problem. It's a solid truck otherwise. This has just been an annoying problem and I had higher expectations of Toyota.

7. Dec 3, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    Downytide

Downytide New Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock with trail boxes
    Replace the sensor, it's a $20 part and its pretty generic.

Ruggybuggy and Yardstick[OP] like this.
  8. Dec 3, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    Yardstick

Member:
    Yikes! I was preparing for a $100 part as timsp8 mentioned above. Seeing $20 was encouraging. Sparksparts wants $141.89. :eek2: But you can get aftermarket ones down to $12.99. What a range! I haven't done much actual diagnosing since I really don't use the system, but it looks like the sensors are universal. I'll try swapping them left to right and see if the problem goes with the sensor. If it does, then I'll replace the sensor. If not I'll look further upstream.

9. Dec 3, 2020 at 8:03 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I tried an aftermarket one when I broke mine when installing the new bumper. I broke the ring that holds it in. The aftermarket $20 never worked. I swapped sides and it still didn’t work. I finally had to take the ring off and rig it up on the stock one to make it where it would stay in there. So I have the factory one with the aftermarket one’s ring. I tossed the aftermarket one. That’s why I mentioned that the Chinese knock off don’t work. If you go the $20 route, make sure you can return it.

Yardstick[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. May 17, 2023 at 3:08 PM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
    My drivers side front will go off when I'm sitting still then stop after i move. Assuming it's a wire issue, not real sure. My dealership said they couldnt duplicate the issue and couldn't find anything wrong, so they wouldn't do anything. I just turned it off.

11. May 17, 2023 at 4:39 PM
    Scorpion006

Scorpion006 I'm athletic - I’m known to surf the web for hours

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra 1794
    I've seen that happen on my truck too but I think that's caused by an insect of sorts... as it flies away upon motion

Products Discussed in

To Top