1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another LED/Halogen Comparison

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by tvpierce, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mar 14, 2020 at 4:29 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce [OP] Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    I got these LED H4 bulbs from @FirstGenVol

He installed them, but was unhappy with the quality of light, so offered them up on the forum for cheap... so I decided to give them a try. I'm not sure of the brand or where they came from; the drivers just say "LED Headlight" or something like that. So certainly a Chinese knockoff of some kind. I promised him I'd post up some comparison pics, so here they are.

The light output seems to be higher. That's hard to tell from the pics because they were taken with my cell phone, which doesn't allow manual exposer, so the phone compensates for the added brightness. There seems to be a little more "scatter" outside the primary beam, mostly on the ground, but the cut-off is good, and they don't seem to have excessive glare. You can see from the pics that the cut-off is as good as the halogen. I haven't been flashed by any oncoming traffic.

I have to say I'm quite pleased with them. My headlight fixures are aftermarket TYC brand from Rock Auto -- maybe that accounts for the differing experiences between myself and @FirstGenVol ? I don't know.

Halogen
    LED

bmf4069, speedtre and GODZILLA like this.
  2. Mar 14, 2020 at 4:35 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    The LEDs are definitely looking brighter, though it also looks like they aren't cutoff as clearly for oncoming traffic. Doesn't look like it's terribly bad above the halogen cutoff, but without being on the receiving end and from these pics it is hard to tell. I hope they work well for you and don't bother any oncoming drivers. :thumbsup:

3. Mar 14, 2020 at 5:03 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    sure they're adjusted?

Some, just some, LEDs have the ability to rotate to allow for that beam we're seeing at a cock-eyed angle (left is lower then travels upwards toward right in pics). Mine do and they're nice and Wide beams as a result.

but overall, sure LEDs have more output and better color for us carbon life forms to see with, Luck on longevity.

4. Mar 14, 2020 at 5:17 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce [OP] Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    Yes, they're adjusted properly with the "shield" at the bottom. To me, the halogen (first pic) looks more cock-eyed... no?

5. Mar 14, 2020 at 5:42 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Those are the Katana brand. Glad you like them!

tvpierce[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 14, 2020 at 6:05 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    I have these same Katanas LED ($49) in my aftermarket Akkonn housings. They work very well for the price of about $10 more than Silverstar filament crap. I went through this same light test comparison last year and was impressed.

A year and a half of driving and zero flash backs. I do get people staring at my lights in both daylight and night time. Its as if they are mesmerized somehow. Never had this happen with my other bulbs. Strange.

Note that these headlight bulbs along with some righteous LED Fog Bulbs will put a tingle in some special places.

Tundra2 and speedtre like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top