1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

American Roll Cover USA

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by RR60, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    RR60

RR60 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 Tundra long bed
    Only reason I like retrax is it is easier to use. Go to get something in or out of bed. Can do one handed.
    Push button, lock pops up and pull open. Same close one hand.

The american roll cover: Two hands to open tail gate, then pull on latch under the cover, then hold strap while it opens.
    Or carry another key. And the put key in lock, reach down and hold strap while it opens.
    Also seems that long strap would get in the way. Can see loading a bunch of wood or other stuff and trying to find the strap which is or course under all your items.

Would like some feedback if this seems to be an issue. I have had a retrax for over 10 years and getting ready to maybe buy another one for a different truck. But the American roll cover is 350.00 cheaper for my 2003 1st gen longbed.
    And the cannister is smaller so more bed room.

Any suggestions
    Thanks

2. Feb 12, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    You can still open with one hand. You just need to open the tailgate. I had an American Roll and I loved it. Never had a retrax so not sure how they compare. But if I'm holding something in my left hand, I would open tailgate with right hand, pull latch and grab strap and open, all in one action. Not that big of a deal. The smaller canister was major. If you're loading something like wood, once you open it, you pull the strap to the side of the bed. After loading, just grab strap and close. $350 is a huge difference.

3. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    RR60

RR60 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 Tundra long bed
    Thanks for the info.
    It is just most of the time with the retrax I would not have to open the tailgate. And I could keep a shopping bag in my hand and still open the retrax. Not have to open the tailgate.

But do have a question. What would happen if I removed the strap? Could you still pull the roll cover closed from the side?
    If so might be able to rig up my own popup lock using a old retrax one.
    Just thinkg here

4. Feb 12, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    I'm not sure about newer ones but mine used the strap to bypass the incremental locks. I think @Agitated1 just got one. Maybe he can answer. But I think you're overthinking the strap. It really makes it easier and more convenient to pull.

5. Feb 12, 2017 at 11:40 PM
    Agitated1

Agitated1 Newish Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4 Quicksand
    TRD Pro Grill King Coilovers with compression adjuster Tint 5% Rear, 30% front and 70% windshield Husky X-Act Floor liners BA Muffler 8in standard system Truck Covers USA retractable bed cover Yakima bed rails
    Honestly the strap hasn't gotten in the way yet. If you do remove the strap you can still close the cover from the side but I think that's unnecessary movement, when you can stay at the tailgate and close the cover. For me, the strap is more convenient than inconvenient. I would definitely buy the Truck Covers USA cover again.

Btw. I have the pop and lock on order so I can lock and unlock the tailgate with my alarm remote.

joonbug[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 16, 2017 at 12:52 PM
    RR60

RR60 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 Tundra long bed
    Anybody interested was able to get the special order 8 ft bed retrax with the best price from Autocustom.com

Products Discussed in

To Top