1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amber DRL and LED DRL

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by medic_84, May 7, 2021.

1. May 7, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    medic_84

medic_84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Duramax 4x4 with a bench!!!!
    Let me start by saying I have done tons of searches about both of these things and just haven’t found quite the answers I am looking for so I thought I would post my thoughts and see if I could get some answers. I currently have a ‘16 Crewmax SR5 with the amber DRLs and adjustable headlights. I have purchased and plan to install the headlights with the black background and LED light strip. Now here is where my thoughts come in. I have found several write ups on how to keep the amber DRLs from coming on and keeping the turn signals functional. I have also found several write ups on how to wire the LED DRLs to be functional as either always on or on and dim as factory as well as some guys on here that offer some harnesses to make that job easier. What I have not found anything on and maybe that’s because it can’t be done but that’s the reason for the post. If I wanted to keep the Amber DRLs from being on at all but keep the turn signals and I simultaneously wanted to light the led light strip as the DRLs then why could I not use the wire that is feeding the orange DRLs to feed the LED DRLs???? One cut from the amber it could be wired to the led and the then a ground wire added to the led. The factory amber lights are brighter when the head lights are off and dim when the headlights are turned on and then function as turn signals so could the wire that powers the amber DRLs be used to power the LED DRLs in the same manner??? Am I crazy??? To far outside the box??? Not possible??? Any response would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks, Matt

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  2. May 8, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    medic_84

medic_84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Bueller.......Bueller.........Bueller

3. May 8, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    Not being a dick but the wall of text may be hard for some people to follow, all the background info doesn't add much to your ask IMO.

This looks like the gist of the thread:

4. May 8, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    medic_84

medic_84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Salty..... just wanted to appease those who say just search here and you will find it.

But yes you are correct basically I am asking.
    If I wanted to keep the Amber DRLs from being on at all but keep the turn signals and I simultaneously wanted to light the led light strip as the DRLs then why could I not use the wire that is feeding the orange DRLs to feed the LED DRLs????

5. May 8, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    AL_TUNDY

AL_TUNDY New Member

Member:
    The Land of Nye
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra
    Looks like you are on uncharted waters with a highly specific question. I'd personally just experiment with the wiring. cut and splice and see if it will do what you want. If not, change it back.

texasrho83 likes this.
  6. May 8, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    Screw the search nazis, I'm going to go start and MPG thread....maybe a cooler or wheel thread too.

I kid, best of luck with a solution. It may be easier to diagram the current state and the desired end state; some of the folks familiar with the wiring will be able to tell right away if it will work and how to get there.

7. May 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    APalmTree

APalmTree 4x4 SKEPTIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad White Crewmax 5.7L
    1 or 2... I lost count
    So, I don't exactly know the answer to your question but I can tell you how the 2nd gens are wired since I messed with mine a lot.
    As you probably know the bulb is a dual filament with low power and high power, with the high power being your turn signal AND the DRL when the headlights are off. If you took the power from the high power filament for the headlight off function the led strip would become your blinker which does not sound like what you want (again this is assuming it is wired the same as my truck). It sounds like you want a circuit that comes on with the ignition and is always on for the strip but you need to do some modifications to defeat the high power circuit with the headlights on. I cut a wire under the dash on my truck to turn off the DRL without the headlights and still retained all of my blinker functions.

I guess it is also worth mentioning that the low power circuit does not light when the headlight selector is all the way off. It only comes on at the second stage, with the taillights and the dash dimming, just before the headlights are on.

iHacker and Saltyhero13 like this.
  8. May 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    :annoyed:

Saltyhero13[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. May 8, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    medic_84

medic_84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Apalmtree...... my understanding on a 3rd gen that the bulb is indeed a dual filament bulb but that the DRL circuit and the turn signal circuit work independently of one another to light the brighter filament. I have found many write ups that state for people who have either added an after market led DRL strip or just don’t want the amber one lit, cut a single wire under the dash causing the DRL portion of the light not to function but still allow the turn signal to function as normal.

I know that I am going out on a limb with this thing called common sense but one would think that if you found said wire at the light cut it and used it to feed power to the led DRL then provide an independent neutral to the Led DRL that this should work....

Al_Tundy..... I will do just that if this thread produces no viable answers was hoping to find just one crazy feller who felt maybe he could chart those waters before I ventured into them myself.

10. May 8, 2021 at 10:29 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
  11. May 8, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    APalmTree

APalmTree 4x4 SKEPTIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    1 or 2... I lost count
    I get what you're saying but I don't think such a wire exists... As far as I could find there is only one wire run that goes straight to the flasher under the dash. The flasher is telling the circuit when to light and not depending on all the inputs that it sees (ignition, headlights, turn signal input, etc.). All the turn signal and DRL power are on the same wire at the light. I could be wrong and I just did not find the right place to look, @iHacker makes harnesses all the different headlight projects that people on here do so hopefully he can chime in and tell you the real answer.

iHacker and Saltyhero13 like this.
  12. May 8, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    medic_84

medic_84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Apalmtree....All of the write ups I have found state cutting a single gray wire under the dash does accomplish just this. you lose the DRL but keep the turn signal. Suggesting the circuits are independent of each other.

13. May 8, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    APalmTree

APalmTree 4x4 SKEPTIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    1 or 2... I lost count
    Yes, I have done it... BUT what I cut was the ignition trigger wire INTO the flasher module. There is still only one output (Okay two, one to each light) circuit. So again, unless I missed something, which for your sake I hope that I did, I don't think you will be able to find what you are looking for but good luck to you.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  14. May 8, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights, 2019 TRD PRO Rigid LED Fog lights, All LED Interior, LED Cargo Lights, Bed LED Lights, Undercover Flex, Husky Weather beater floormats, FORTIN EVO ONE remote start, TDR Cold Air Intake, Tundra tail gate inserts, Pop & Lock...
    ^^^^ This solves your questions, a simple cut and splice job isn’t possible if you do so your LED DRL will work as blinker as well and that’s not how the lights normally work.

The amber DRL signal share the same circuit for the blinker and the flasher relay send a pulse to switch between DRL and blinker.

And one more thing, The LED DRL in the new headlights have 2 separate LED board for each function like a dual filament bulb (DRL bright and Dimmed DRL) this means you can definitely cut/splice and redirect the parking lights circuit (violet wire) to the Dimmed LED board but not that easy for the DRL bright, older SR5/Limited/Pro trucks (2014-2017) are missing the LED DRL circuit and instead the amber DRL is tied to the high power filament in the blinker bulb.

I hope this help

15. May 8, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights, 2019 TRD PRO Rigid LED Fog lights, All LED Interior, LED Cargo Lights, Bed LED Lights, Undercover Flex, Husky Weather beater floormats, FORTIN EVO ONE remote start, TDR Cold Air Intake, Tundra tail gate inserts, Pop & Lock...
    This can clarify your mind, and unfortunately a simple cut/splice job won’t make the LED DRL achieve what you are looking for

Attached Files:

Saltyhero13 and APalmTree like this.
  16. May 8, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    ^^^You have the real answers buddy :bowdown:

17. May 8, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    The wire you mentioned is a dual polarity circuit and is controlled by the ECU and circuit tied to the parking brake, circuit #5 in J28 plug is normally 12V so ECU have to recognize some conditions like ignition ON and parking brake off and if this 2 conditions are met then main computer switches the polarity and convert to ground signal powering the DRL bright filament Flasher relay send the pulses for the blinker function in the same circuit.

Little confusing but is a computer controlled circuit

Please read the diagram in previous message to completely understand how things work.

Have a nice weekend guys

Saltyhero13 and APalmTree like this.
  18. May 8, 2021 at 1:00 PM
    medic_84

medic_84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the info! Question answered!

iHacker likes this.
  19. May 8, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    medic_84

medic_84 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    I was misunderstanding the wire that was being cut. My impression was it was the wire that was powering the light but instead it is a wire going into the flasher module that is being cut. Thanks Ihacker and Apalmtree.

iHacker likes this.
  20. May 8, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    Yep ECU and Flasher relay does the trick

I’m always happy to help

21. Mar 12, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    Jkobie

Jkobie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    14 tundra. Crewmax
    Leveled with bags
    @iHacker sounds like you're a very knowledgeable about the different lighting systems of different years I am trying to accomplish this exact same task do you make a harness that you sell or can you recommend one in order to accomplish? I have a 14 tundra with drl, that I would like to install some black housing 18 headlights with LED drl but halogen bulbs.

22. Mar 12, 2022 at 7:08 AM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Since your truck came with DRLs you shouldn't need a separate harness, imo.

23. Mar 12, 2022 at 7:38 AM
    Jkobie

Jkobie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    14 tundra. Crewmax
    Leveled with bags
    Thank you even though mine has Amber DLR and I am changing to the LED White?

24. Mar 12, 2022 at 8:18 AM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    If you haven't bought the lights yet, I'd go with OEM LED headlights.
    Get the TRD Pro headlights, for the blacked-out look, and use an @iHacker harness.

My 2014 with TRD Pro LED headlights.
    I did keep my amber DRL, you can use the appropriate ihacker harness for bright white LED DRLS.

gfbt99fk_ae54f05effc9e16f1c6a8ffb264e796a616b5c8c.jpg 389ealpn_93fbf76900714999bd83c041bf1caf921c010db2.jpg

More info here..
    2018+ LED HEADLIGHTS PLUG N PLAY HARNESS FOR 2014-2020 MODELS [V 2.0] | Toyota Tundra Forum (tundras.com)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  25. Mar 13, 2022 at 5:09 PM
    Jkobie

Jkobie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    14 tundra. Crewmax
    Leveled with bags
    @iHacker can you help with this see pictures

Products Discussed in