1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air cleaner after filter

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by philbiusMAXIMUS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Sep 14, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    philbiusMAXIMUS

philbiusMAXIMUS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra 4.7L SE
    None
    My name is Phil. I just took possession of this vehicle and it is a one owner with 250K miles on it and runs like a dream. I have a question regarding the stock air cleaner after filter. It looks like it was never meant to be removed or replaced. Seems like overkill to me. I'm a believer in the stock design, but I can see what color(nice and white) it was when new and now it is black. I have every reason to believe it had regular maintenance since I know the previous owner. What does the Tundra community think about this. Also, I need a service manual and can get one at the automotive parts store, but would also like to know what y'alls opinion is on the most trusted source of service manual(probably on disc at this point) would be. Thanks for your consideration!
    Phil

OR18TRD likes this.
  2. Sep 14, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    You probably mean the carbon filter inside the box lid? It’s not really a filter as much as it is meant to absorb the fuel vapors when your truck is turned off. Vapors from inside the intake work their way out, this is meant to absorb them. More of an emissions thing. I removed mine LOL

bmf4069 and OR18TRD like this.
  3. Sep 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    philbiusMAXIMUS

philbiusMAXIMUS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra 4.7L SE
    None
    Nuff said, Mr. Blonde! I'll leave it just the way it is. I'd bet that is the first thing to go if you are looking to boost performance. I'm really quite shocked at how thirsty this engine is, but it is hauling a lot of four wheel beef around. Thanks for the info!
    Phil

4. Sep 14, 2019 at 9:00 PM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    I removed mine too. No idea if it did anything, but it's low hanging fruit on the way to a better flowing air compressor.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 14, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    weadjust

weadjust New Member

Member:
    Tupelo, MS
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Limited DC
    What year model???

6. Sep 15, 2019 at 6:24 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Theres a charcoal filter in the intake? And for routine service a Haynes or Chiltons will work fine. It's what I have.

Products Discussed in

To Top