1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air Bags or not

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by 86pete, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Jul 14, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    86pete

86pete [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rick
    Vehicle:
    2017 black tundra trd sr5
    none
    I have a 2017 Tundra TRD SR5 4whl dr. Just bought a 34' Imagine travel trailer it's light weight is 7295lbs and hitch weight is 795lbs. It came with a weight distribution, sway bar bar and chain assembly. When I hook it up my truck stills sags a couple of inches. Would I be better off doing away with this and and going to air bags for the extra lift help?

2. Jul 14, 2018 at 9:29 AM
    Pudge

Pudge New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints.
    Dont ditch the WD hitch. You can add air bags or maybe timbrens or sumo springs to level it back out, but you wanna keep the hitch for sure.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    sprtbkr likes this.
  3. Jul 14, 2018 at 9:55 AM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 WHITE is the fastest color!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5 TRD CM
    Rugged 2 tri fold tonneau cover, spray in bed liner, bed extender, window tint, color matched side mirrors, color matched door handles, TRD Pro center caps, TRD Pro shift knob, tailgate keyfob actuator, ESP under seat storage unit mod...more to come
    Not a fan of air bags. You will eventually run into issues with leaks and could be a very expensive repair. Had a Tahoe with air bags that were nothing but a money pit and headache, replacing motor, air lines and bags....there are a lot of people that love them though. To each their own but I would go with the stiffer spring set up and avoid any unnecessary mechanical options that will fail.

4. Jul 14, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ #WAISTBAND

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Summit White
    Husky products, 28% tint on windows.
    Either the LDH isn’t set up right, not the correct one, the tongue weight is more than advertised, or a combo of all three.

If you think about it, depending on how your LDH operates and if it has sway control, air bags defeat the sway control portion of the hitch.

Hitches like the Fastway E2 and Equalizer style hitches are affected by airbags. (Trunnion)
    8A3BA112-7BF7-4368-9CD8-17D99B87153A.jpg

Round bar LDH setups with separate sway control are not as affected by airbags due to design of the sway control. Now most of these style LDHs you cannot back up without removing the spring bars. Very inconvenient to say the least.
    C254B7E1-CD27-406C-A995-D6EC20F1493D.jpg

Pudge likes this.
  5. Jul 14, 2018 at 10:19 AM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Tundra Fanatic

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    I’m using Timbrens, this is the clearance I have unhitched. When loaded, they ride on them and there’s no porpoising. I also use a Blue Ox 1000lb WDH. I checked with a level on the side of my Diamondback and the bubble is 0 all packed.

When not on trips, I remove the Timbren spacers, I need those as I have 1.5” shackles on the back. Some people on stock rear suspension complain when they hit the Timbrens over bumps/potholes (not towing) but I have extra clearance.

B4EEE570-5A18-44C6-8C9E-218C6AF958F9.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top