1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket stereo disabled ABS / caused brake low pedal?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by guywire, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Sep 8, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    guywire

guywire [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sequoia Platinum
    I finally managed to replace the broken factory stereo on my 2010 Sequoia Platinum with JBL everything, and it was mostly working. Steering wheel, factory amp controls, CAN bus, and the backup camera even sort of worked. Well the next drive I take the brake pedal goes to the floor as soon as the engine runs. Surely, that's a coincidence right? So I bleed the brakes, inspect the calipers and pads, replace the master cylinder, bleed the ABS, check the vacuum on the booster, no change. I manage to get it to the nearby brake shop and they tell me the ABS is not engaging and they can't fix it. They say take it to the dealer so they can reprogram the stereo, which should somehow fix the ABS.

The ABS pump engages when I use an OBD command to bleed the brakes. There are no warning lights or codes. Considering it barely stops I can't verify if the ABS works otherwise. I see nothing in the stereo that has anything to do with ABS, though it does get the CAN bus and signals for parking brake and reverse, or at least it's supposed to (that doesn't seem to be working). Google searches and forums don't seem to mention such a thing. I put the factory stereo back in, no change. I'm trying to get one of those cheap dongles and Techstream software to work but haven't had luck yet.

Is the brake shop crazy? Should I just replace the ABS module with a used one?
    I'm suspicious something is sucking in air because I don't see how the ABS could cause the brakes to be so squishy as soon as the engine turns on.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top