1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket backup cameras, are they all the same?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Dr_Al, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Apr 6, 2019 at 4:55 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    I'm getting ready to install a backup camera on my 2nd gen to go with my Kenwood head unit. I'm going to go with the one in the tailgate style. As I'm looking around it seams like everyone says their camera is the best. While they give specs they don't list the brand of the camera. I would like to be able to turn off the parking aid lines and use the head unit as I can adjust them.

After reading reviews some of the complaints are that the aftermarket tailgate handles feel flimsy and even reports of breaking in very cold weather I'm thinking that it's worth an extra $60 to go with the OEM handle.

If I do that then I just need a camera. I've looked at some companies, like Master Tailgaters, but they sell the camera mounted in a handle and OEM cameras (which cost twice as much and I'm not sure if they would work with an aftermarket head unit). They don't say anything about being able to turn off the guide lines. When I've looked for just a camera I'm finding lots of sub $20 ones and some really expensive ones. Most have names I've never heard of before.

My question is are all these cameras made in the same factory in China or are there real differences. I've read some saying they have glass lenses vs plastic and some say they use a Sony CCD. I would like to do this once and not pay for a handle I'm not going to use and not get either an over priced or junk camera.

Maxi13 likes this.
  2. Nov 5, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    Maxi13

Maxi13 GuttenTight

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Sr5 TRD OR
    Nudding yet
    Wish you'd gotten a response. V interested myself!

3. Nov 19, 2019 at 2:19 PM
    LennyFL

LennyFL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    New to me 2007 with 59,600 miles
    I just ordered one from Master Tailgaters for my 2007. I'll let you know how it works out.

4. Nov 19, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    My Masters Tailgate latch unit is same or similar quality as stock. Very happy with it.

5. Nov 19, 2019 at 8:00 PM
    Maxi13

Maxi13 GuttenTight

Member:
    Montucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Sr5 TRD OR
    Nudding yet
    Are you guys viewing with a nav screen or in the rear view? Can't wait to hear about quality!

Products Discussed in

To Top