1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After Alignment Noted Rattle-Steering Wobble-Wandering Issue

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by TorElements, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Jul 9, 2020 at 4:57 AM
    TorElements

TorElements [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    Aloha...this is a bit tricky to explain but would really appreciate any insight anybody might have. Here is the scenario:

• Initially installed Toyo Open Country ATIII on 2017 Tundra TRD Pro. Went big 285/75-18
    • Oddly tire store does not perform alignment and recommend getting checked.
    • I drove for 3 - 5 days truck tracks straight and feels amazing with tires. Only slight rub when turning.
    • First Visit to dealership and have them check alignment. Only issue is found from spec sheet is with Left From Toe and Steer Ahead. See Pic 1
    • Get truck back and its wondering from left to right none stop. Also steering is shacking back and forth along with a very noticeable rattle in front end on slightly bumpy road. You can feel something moving with the feedback of steering wheel - back and forth.
    • Please note there was no tracking, wandering, or any issue with front end prior to initial visit.
    • See Pic 1 and for alignment specs.
    • Second Visit to dealership and they informed me the alignment is off again with similar specs as seen in 2 in pic. Also the technician confirmed "something was over tightened" and was cause of rattle.
    • Drive the truck and rattle is way less but still noticeable and truck is still wandering back and forth can't keep straight without constant feedback in steering wheel.
    • Third Visit to dealership and other technician looks at truck and increased the camber and can be seen in alignment spec sheet. See pic and number 3.
    • Drive truck again and notice it will go straight but just the right feedback is required to get it tracking straight. The rattle is hardly noticeable but can still feel feedback in steering wheel like the tires are going back and forth ever so slightly. Its like the truck will go straight if I get the feedback just right but it is constantly wanting to veer left or right. Something is just off.
    • I have another appointment but looking for any feedback on what I can check and would really like to know what was as the technician stated "over tightened". Could that have caused any issues with the actual steering shaft etc...

Thanks for listening .....Tor

allignmentspec.jpg
    allignmentspec2.jpg
    allignmentspec3.jpg

2. Jul 9, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    If your paying for the alignments everytime you take it back go somewhere else. I would suspect that the first tech left some parts loose that caused the rattle. I would have asked them what component was causing the rattle and what overtighted part caused a rattle. An out of spec alignment isn't going to cause a rattle.
    I'm assuming your truck is stock accept for the tire size? Do you have a lift?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  3. Jul 9, 2020 at 8:03 AM
    daylorb

daylorb New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4X4
    Go Pack!
    Have you checked the torque on the lug nuts? That is often a culprit... simple as it may sound.

4. Jul 9, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    TorElements

TorElements [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    From what I know the truck is a stock TRD Pro...the dealer mentioned it looks to have a additional lift but I brought it used from a Ford dealership.

The odd thing is the technician stated, he overtightened something. I've been asking for clarification on that and have never gotten a response even from the service manager...

I'll check the lugs and get more clarity on what was loosened and over tightened and let you all know...thanks all for your responses.

Products Discussed in

To Top