1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After 1+ year of research, I am finally a Tundra Man!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lehminh, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Aug 19, 2016 at 10:21 PM
    lehminh

lehminh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L 2WD Front Bench Seats
    Firstly, if I'm missing any rules please point it out. I know some forums are particular to how things need to be handled.

I've been planning to buy a Taco/Tundra for over a year. I was leaning toward Taco bc of mpg but always liked the CrewMax since I have 3 daughters and want them to be comfortable. So I've been going back and forth on two, researching on forums TacomaWorld, Tundra, and Tundratalk.
    Two weeks ago went to test drive Taco planning to buy. BUT, engine seemed to be lagging and rear seats were more cramped than my Prius!!! So I test drove the Tundra CM and it was soooo smooth and the rear was incredible. So I shopped around and got amazing deal:
    $31,977 (+tax) for 5.7L SR5 CrewMax 2WD bench front seats (no packages or accessories). Thanks to the forums, I had never thought about front bench but the practically of a 6th seat if I need it. Also, wife could snuggle close!
    So far loving it. Kids are sooo happy riding in it. I knew exactly which accessories to get to protect (ordered right when I got home): Pendaliner drop in (I think they are the vendor for the Toyota bed liner as well), OEM deck rail system, Husky Weather beaters for the front (including the middle hump), Weathertech digitals for the back, getting OEM running boards Sunday off craigslist, carbon fiber Tundra bed letter inserts. Should have everything done by SUN, will post after pics if you guys want for now I'll provide the before pics. Next mod will be the driver-side handle (Thanks TundraTalk) since I'm only 5'4" and can barely hop in it (trying to find on CL from people parting out 2007-13 Tundras. Running boards will help! Then the Sway Bar.

Need to research into storage inside cabin and securely in bed. Spent too much $$$ already so need to think economical. Would like hard tri-fold tonnoeau but can't afford 800-1K.

For those interested, John Coffaney of Freeman Toyota in Santa Rosa. No BS, he gives you his best price right away (which is usually at invoice). I got mine below invoice (I believe) with the extra Toyota incentives. They obviously go off volume. If you are looking for a good deal I would definitely give them a try.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

2. Aug 19, 2016 at 10:25 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome from CO!

3. Aug 19, 2016 at 10:29 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Welcome from eastern CO!

4. Aug 19, 2016 at 10:58 PM
    Oregon Tundra

Oregon Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue Pearl CM TRD 4x4
    Hey! Welcome to the site. Your story is very similar to mine. Went looking at the Tacoma, came home with a Tundra. All the same reasons as you.

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. Aug 19, 2016 at 11:40 PM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    Welcome! A couple things concerned me, 3 daughters and a Prius lol. I have one daughter and what a hand full.

TheBeast and ColoradoTJ like this.
  6. Aug 20, 2016 at 12:33 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Congrats on your new truck and welcome from Santa Cruz. I have only 2 daughters. I've had Tundras, 5 of 'em, since before they were born. They're 12 & 14 and have always been comfortable and happily spoiled with that big back seat.

7. Aug 20, 2016 at 1:02 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Welcome from CO.

8. Aug 20, 2016 at 5:30 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Welcome!

9. Aug 20, 2016 at 6:01 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Awesome buy man. Looks like you did your homework. I also have a crewmax.

For interior storage, if the kids aren't in car seats, ESP (they are on here) makes nice under seat storage bins. For storage in the bed I went with a Undercover Swing Case (Amazon) and a BakFlip VP tri fold hard tonneau with a BakBox (gently used on CL).

10. Aug 20, 2016 at 6:12 AM
    MatthewPTguy

MatthewPTguy Not a new member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD MGM
    Borla dual cat back exhaust system, K&N replacement air filter, Headlight Revolution 40" Stealth LED light bar, Headlight Revolution LED fog light replacement bulbs, Line X bed liner, de-badge
    Welcome! Nice rig!

11. Aug 20, 2016 at 6:28 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Welcome! Glad you're enjoying it!!

12. Aug 20, 2016 at 6:31 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    Your story is same as mine as well. Dead set on getting another Tacoma but fell in love with the Tundra. Once you have this power and room, there is no going back. Welcome to the forum, you have a sweet ride!

13. Aug 20, 2016 at 8:29 AM
    SLOBlueE90

SLOBlueE90 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra Platinum
    I bought my ride at Freeman too and had a good experience with my sales rep, Courtney. However, I thought they were too aggressive with the "bolt-ons" in financing and they were definitely ready for me to go when we were done. I just couldn't imagine anyone would pay that kind of $ for warranties, extended maintenance contracts, etc AND finance that cost over the life of their loan!

Regardless, I like your ride and I recommend an exhaust from Keith (BAM). Makes the experience a lot more fun, IMO.

MotoTundra likes this.
  14. Aug 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from CO.

15. Aug 20, 2016 at 10:07 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    welcome

Products Discussed in

To Top