1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on getting a used Tundra? Good/bad years?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by MallyBomb, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Sep 30, 2019 at 9:25 PM
    MallyBomb

MallyBomb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mally
    Looking to get a used Tundra, I'm a Toyota / Scion guy. I know how great they are... I'm not afraid to get one with 200k on it but if im looking to get one 07 or newer... Is there anything i need to look for or beware of on certain models?!? Do i get the newest year... Or the one in the best condition... Or the least miles... Or something in the middle? Ide like a 4x4 not necessary... After looking "everywhere" online for one, my head is spinning. Ide like to stay under 15k... Ive only found a few 14's... Any insight would be greatly appreciated as im reading the message board!
    Thanks!
    Jim
    Cant wait to start contributing!

daveyjames207, Rex Kramer and OR18TRD like this.
  2. Oct 1, 2019 at 1:33 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Welcome!

They are all good years, but unless you like added electronics, I would limit my search to the original 2nd Generation Tundra ('07 to '13). I bought my dirty '07 dirt cheap when it had 270k on the 5.7L, it cleaned up well and now has about 289k.

Take whatever trucks that make your short list on extended test drives across various road surfaces with the radio off, listen to the truck work, listen for rattles & thumps, feel how it goes over speed bumps, handles corners, accelerates & brakes. You can learn a lot about the truck this way, things the seller may not even be aware of. Take your time, and don't fall in love with the pretty shinny stuff. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  3. Oct 13, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Belated welcome from NY.

4. Oct 13, 2019 at 3:04 PM
    daveyjames207

daveyjames207 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC 4x4 5.7 Off Road Nautical Blue Metallic
    If you’re buying in the northeast, or anywhere there is snow, check underneath for rust. Surface rust is ok, I just blasted the underneath of my 13. It wasn’t bad at all, but here in Maine you have to be preventative. Best thing to do is what Rex Kramer said, take it out and drive it over several surfaces and listen. Also take it to a local mechanic you trust and have him look it over. Good luck!

Rex Kramer likes this.
  5. Oct 13, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    MallyBomb

MallyBomb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mally
    Thanks!

6. Oct 13, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    I think the only real issue for the earlier models is whether the blend door TSB/ re-flash has been done or not.
    https://tundraheadquarters.com/2007-2008-tundra-heater-upgrade/

When I bought my 2012 Crewmax 2 years ago, there was also an open TSB/ re-flash regarding the secondary air injection system, also referred to as the smog pumps. I think after the 2012 MY the issue was fixed, so you may not see this issue on newer models.
    The Carfax showed this TSB open and I made the dealer do the re-flash before I signed any paperwork.

I would simply recommend running a carfax on any vehicle you are looking to purchase, Tundra or not.
    You can check service history here: https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle/service-history

Personally, I really wish I could have afforded a 2014+ model year when I was buying. I like the dash and instrument cluster much, much better than 07-13 Trucks. It's like looking down through a tube just to glance at the fuel level.
    However, on the rear seats in the Crewmax are better in the 07-13. They slide forward and recline whereas the 14+ CM rear have a fixed back and the bottom folds up.
    These things are just a preference.

7. Oct 16, 2019 at 4:58 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    I looked at a 2011 DC that I really liked until...I opened the hood and the entire engine bay was rusted something fierce. Everything metal was rusted - bolts hose clamps - everything. I really liked the truck but passed. After doing some research there are some older years that had frame rust issues so look out for that.

I just ended up getting a new 2019 SR DC.

8. Oct 16, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    Mnorris1206

Mnorris1206 Super white is fast as f***

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra
    6" lift kit 35" tires with cold air intake and exhaust
    Only real issues with a 2nd gen everyone above has covered really unless the previous owner was neglecting the truck. Beside all those things listed as an 08 owner I have bed rust. Look for that as well it starts from under the truck where the support rails are located for the bed. I didnt find mine until I removed the drop in bed liner.

Other then that happy hunting post pics of the new ride here good luck .

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top