1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on Canyonlands Maze district trip in a couple weeks

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by NickDPT, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Sep 28, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    NickDPT

NickDPT [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal and DTX
    Vehicle:
    2020 White 1794 4x4 TRD
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at 2.5 OME Dakar leaf springs Built Right UCA Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75/18 Decked drawer system Front Runner overbed rack Rago dash plate for RAM radio and phone mounts
    Hi all,
    Planning an impromptu trip with my wife because some childless time just popped up.
    Have sites reserved for the Maze District in Canyonlands.

Some background: I have a 2020 Tundra 4x4 with 2" suspension lift. I'm hoping to have sliders by then, but not confident it will get done. No winch, and stock bumpers so approaches and departures will be shallower. I have good experience with off-road in my FJ Cruiser, however this will be my first trip in this truck and my wife's first off-road experience. I am aware that the capabilities of the long wheel base heavier platform will be significantly different.

Questions:
    1. The plan is to enter the park through Hite off the 95 and go north on the trail from there to Happy Valley, Ekker Butte, Millard Canoyn, Panorama Point, and Labyrinth. Are the trails doable in my platform, or am I asking for trouble, going without another truck? I've heard this side of the park is more rugged than Island in the Sky. I'd like to not come home with body damage.

2. Should we make this trip shorter? Do y'all think this terrain for 4-5 days will be too much for my inexperienced wife?

3. Should I just say screw it and take her to a really nice hotel in Sedona for the week?upload_2020-9-28_10-50-15.gif

2. Oct 29, 2020 at 1:54 PM
    gjcarving

gjcarving New Member

Member:
    As your wife hasn’t done any off-road I wouldn’t make something this ambitious hey first. She may like it, or it may be her last. I would definitely do something a bit more tame to start. And, I’d mix in scenic road drives along with off road excursions. That’s how I introduced my wife to it and she loved it. And be flexible!! Has she camped before? That alone can be a lot depending on the person. If not I’d definitely keep it on the more plush side of camping to start and maybe throw in a few hotel nights for showers etc. It really depends on what you both want to get out of the trip. If you stay in Sedona area there are good tails. Plus you could always do the Mogollon Rim road depending on weather. Lots of choices even if you do head the canyon lands route. Personally I’d stay away from the Maze district for a first go around.

Sunnier likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top