1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding an "I know what I'm doing" toggle switch

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by AndrewSmith, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Jan 11, 2022 at 12:39 AM
    AndrewSmith

AndrewSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thornhill, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia Limited
    Hello

I love my Sequoia, but like all new cars the beeping is insane. For me personally it's unacceptable. (Actually my wife has a new Subaru and that one's much worse, but that's beside the point.)

I turned off everything I could in Techstream, and I got a seatbelt extender, so now most of the time I can use my car in peace. But there are still a couple of beeps which I cannot tolerate:

1. If I have the door open and then turn off the engine: the beeping starts and won't stop until I close the door. This is retarded and is not a Toyota-only problem. I'm sure it's some regulatory stupidity. I don't think it can be turned off without messing with the door switch, which provides functionality that I like.
    2. If I'm in neutral and I open the door: the beeper just goes wild. It's not even a beep, more like a squeal trying to get my brain to bleed. I believe this also cannot be turned off, no doubt again because of regulatory stupidity.
    I would like to add an "I know what I'm doing" toggle switch at least to deal with #2. On occasion I have good reason to leave it in neutral and get out of the car.

Somewhere on this forum I saw a photo of the board with the beeper on it. But I can't find it now. I would like to desolder the beeper from the board, and wire it back in with a toggle switch. I would install this toggle switch in one of the unused tabs under the steering wheel.

Can someone help me find it please?

I'd rather not kill that beeper permanently because some of the beeps are useful and not obnoxious (e.g. need gas).

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  2. Jan 11, 2022 at 4:12 AM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
  3. Jan 11, 2022 at 6:30 PM
    AndrewSmith

AndrewSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thornhill, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia Limited
    I already disabled it in Techstream. But if you meant to suggest that instead of messing with the speaker I could add the toggle switch in series with the door button - that's actually a good idea! Maybe I'll try that instead. I'll post about it if I manage to get it done.

4. Jan 13, 2022 at 7:28 AM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794

Products Discussed in

To Top