1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by War Machine, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Feb 18, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Do I need to claybar it then wax and apply this and be set or?

2. Feb 18, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    War Machine

War Machine [OP] SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Claybar will help it bond more. Not sure it’s absolutely necessary. If you’re gonna put wax on it, wait a day or more. The ceramic spray needs four hours to cure minimum. Wax would go on after this.

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 18, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    doggiecareman

doggiecareman YOLO / Best to do it with a Toyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    North Central CT
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Army Green Limited Double Cab TRD Off Road 2021
    TRD dual exhaust/Factory running boards/center console safe/Truxedo X15 Tonneau/ceramic coated/ceramic window tint/BFG KO2's/swing cases/debadged
    FWIW I spoke at length with my guy who is on the Airforce One detail group about this as I had him buff out some scratches I put on the hood being way too aggressive with a broom sweeping off snow. The plastic shroud for the bristles laying flat on the hood was a major faux pas on my part. He says he knows the owner of Adams and said it's just nothing more than a fancy detail spray with maybe a touch of SI02 added. Overpriced and very overrated for what it is implying. Basically a marketing ploy. I asked him about the concept of adding/top coating liked mentioned in this thread and he said it (Adam's spray) doesn't offer that. True coating /augmentation of your existing coating takes a lot more involvement. He showed me a spray bottle of a product that does offer that and his cost is about 50.00 for a bottle a third the size of the Adam's that actually is a ceramic product spray. He says that the bonding matrixes between different ceramic coating products needs to be entered into the equation before applying. The guy I am referring to is a no nonsense hard working man with about 10 years into this specific line of work. He goes to all the major auto shows as he does a lot of the prep and detail work for the new models being showcased from the various manufactures. Toyota being a major one he works with. Maguire's is a good quality synthetic wax and from what I have gleaned will probably do more than the Adam's so I will definitely be looking for you results and experiences to either confirm or challenge my intel on this.

4. Feb 19, 2019 at 4:35 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

I agree it’s overpriced. I tried Meguair’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax on another vehicle at the same time, and it seemed to perform better, at a much lower price.
    I’d stop short of calling it just a detail spray with a touch of SIO2. I’ve used a ton of detail sprays and sealants, and while the jury is still out on longevity, that seems to be selling it short.

This stuff isn’t going to impress someone like your friend. Pro detailers are never going to have a need or desire to use it. It’s made for people without that kind of skill level.

That said, I’m not saying he’s wrong. He clearly knows more about this stuff than most of us do. I don’t think it’s completely fair for anyone to pass real judgement on a product that’s barely been out a month though. No one really knows yet how good it is.

My preliminary thoughts are that it’s too expensive, UNLESS we find out it’s longevity claims are accurate. I put it on my wife’s Sequoia a few weeks ago, and Meguair’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax on my daughter’s truck. The Meguair’s impressed me more out of the gate. That said, if come September-October and my wife’s truck is still shedding water like crazy, I’d call it a success. We’ll have to see.

@T-Rex266 will be able to chime in soon also.

5. Feb 21, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Update:

I applied this on my Bakflip cover a month ago. I hadn’t found anything that would bond and last on it before. It seemed to work great at first.
    Washed my truck yesterday, and it has completely failed on the Bakflip. Zero beading or hydrophobicity at all, so that’s a bust.
    I haven’t washed my wife’s Sequoia in about ten days. Last time I did, it was still at 100%. I will update next time I wash it. (It’s still going strong on the shower doors though.)

6. Feb 21, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    don3032

don3032 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Limited Crewmax Nightshade
    debadged, diamondback, window tint, dirty deeds exhaust.
    So far mine is still lasting great on the truck, and does make washing it off much easier, Only sprayed a small spot on the cover but after two snow days and bunch of ice the 1 tab I sprayed on the bed cover is still holding pretty well. Due to bunch of logging in the area been having spray truck and car off atleast every few days.

7. Feb 25, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
  8. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    jtwags

jtwags Concrete jungle

Member:
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM
    Undercover Elite LX, Xact Contour
    I picked up some of the meguiar's ceramic wax the other day as i had some advance auto speed perks to spend and they carry it in store. It is easy to apply and certainly topped my existing Klasse sealant base well. Heck, if it is a hybrid sealant that lasts a few months and is this easy to apply for $15 a bottle it is a win in my book.

9. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    just subbin' to this. :spy:

10. Mar 3, 2019 at 3:56 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Washed the Sequoia yesterday. This coating seems to have degraded significantly.

E75232AE-BDD0-41D6-A325-E2B294F31741.jpg

doggiecareman and RoujePN like this.
  11. Mar 3, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    Taco-Blender

Taco-Blender Old Guys Rule

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4
    No bueno. How long since you put it on?

My bead maker is still going strong after almost 2 months.

doggiecareman likes this.
  12. Mar 3, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Five weeks, I believe.

13. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    Taco-Blender

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4
    Well, I'm glad I didn't buy any. Thanks for the update Jason.

14. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:07 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Once again, my wallet takes one for the team.

15. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I still have my $70 bottle :anonymous:

16. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    Taco-Blender

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4
    And the team loves your your wallet. Much appreciated.

17. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:14 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    There’s always a chance I applied incorrectly. Still going strong on my shower glass.

18. Mar 3, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    RoujePN

RoujePN New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum CM 4x4 5.7L 1G3
    :thumbsup: Thanks for your sacrifice. BTW any additional thoughts or feedback on Scott's report on the Mequiar's Hybrid ceramic wax product or is it similar to this one, or just a no-go?

19. Mar 4, 2019 at 4:22 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    It is failing somewhat, but not as bad as the Adams. That said, it is $15.00, vs. $70.00 for Adams, is easier to apply, and looked and performed better out of the gate.
    I would recommend Meguair’s Hybrid Ceramic Wax as an easy and affordable product, but I can’t recommend Adams Ceramic Spray Coating. Even if I didn’t apply it correctly, it should have lasted longer at that price point. 6-9 months is what it advertises, and I got a month out of it. I followed the directions on the bottle. The weather here in Texas is hard on sealants, but it still fell way short of expectations.
    Both Beadmaker and Reload vastly outperform it, using the same application techniques.

20. Mar 4, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    RoujePN

RoujePN New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Ok, couldn't find it on the shelf yet at three local shops. So last week we got a small break with thaw/dry out from the snow and slush, with me being too damn impatient for PP's virgin wash (~300 Mi already) of watching it sitting dull and dirty in driveway. Broke out CG Honeydew 2 buckets warm water and foam gun. Yeah neighbors were slow cruising by with their "wtf cuz its only low 40's out here" grins and expressions, but I had to take advantage of 2 days of sunshine. By the afternoon, I saw at least two did their drive throughs at the local brush and scratches getting back home that evening all spruced and swirled up. This weekend picking up a wash mop for the roof and another pack of PFMs I bumped into another neighbor in Griots buying their version of the f/gun. Pleading his case and a bit grumpy about it (b/c he is closer to my age) but his SW Taco TRD outside in the lot looked like crap. I gave him comps for his motivation and told him he will sleep better and the stiff body knees and back :itllbuffout: will feel (heck i didn't even need aleeve) better Sunday morning when he looks at his tidy s/w in his driveway. Anyway have more sun today and tomorrow but more precipitation is due Wednesday and Thursday. For wash #2, since I am still way unexperienced experimenter I am debating whether to break out CG citrus wash and gloss this weekend. Still cautious or patient, am not in a big hurry to mix products so I just may opt for another round of honeydew with a coat of power lock plus. With spring and summer coming will consider Reload, Beadmaker or maybe the Hybrid CW to give them a shot.

21. Mar 4, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I’ve been out there washing in some colder weather plenty of times. My neighbors probably think I’m nuts.

You take any pics?

22. Mar 4, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    RoujePN

RoujePN New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Working on a couple still undone mods, will get them posted shortly.

To Top