1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A.R.E CX HD installed and Silverwing Roof Top Tent

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by NoRcptn, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Jun 27, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn [OP] Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    ***EDITED FOR SPECS REFERENCE*** Pictures attached for explanations. All measurements are approximate.

Shell
    Weight= Approxmately 175lbs for the CX series, not sure of the CX HD.
    Weight=Capacity- 550 LBS
    Bar Height= 4" from top of camper to top of load bar.
    Post height= 2" from camper to bottom of load bar.
    Post width= 39 1/2" from driver side to passenger side
    Post spread= 42 1/4" from front to back

Internal frame
    The internal frame is angled from the bed rail to the top of the camper. This limits the internal space. Especially for square items. Currently with my @decked system I cannot fit a wheelbarrow inside the bed. But, I can comfortably get in and out and have slept in it at an angle. The internal frame is level with the glass door seal on the camper opening.

Frame Height= 25 1/4" from the Decked system to the bottom of the frame.
    Frame width= 42 1/4" from upper corner to upper corner.
    Bottom of frame is even with bed rails.

Hey all I just wanted to supply some extra information as I struggled with this purchase and analysis paralysis due to lack of details or models of shells anywhere to see in person.

I set out to buy a shell , or canopy if you're back east, mainly for gear, protection for the dog, and camping fun. The shell must also support the weight of a RTT without question. There were several models that were "Heavy Duty" but weren't warrantied when I called the manufacturer.

I ended up finding the CX HD (550lb rating) but nobody had any to see in person. Seeing pictures, I really thought the crossbars looked high and the inside was cramped. I was wrong.

Here are some bigger pics and info for those researching. Feel free to ask any questions. I'm not the best at responding immediately, but I'll get it eventually.

I went with the wind-doors on both sides. Great option and super functional for me. My only issue was the added slider in the middle of the wind wing, which is great for doggo ventilation.

But with the latch handles, the window only opens up halfway.

The inside is a reinforced aluminum frame. The frame transfers all weight to the bed rails.
    The crossbars are mounted to this vertical pipe that travels through the shell and is sealed with washers and silicon. I'm pretty sure you could modify this setup to your hearts desire if your cool with chasing down leaks.

So when you look at it, the force does look like it's pretty spread out across the width of the rail. The interior clamps are inserted into the bed rail tie down tracks.THey also have the same clamps to mount to the bed if you don't have the factory tracks.

The interior aluminum frame is also t-slotted so you can add as many as you want for hanging items, mounting stuff, or just killing time thinking of cool setups and tinkering with things while drinking beer in the garage.

The crossbars were not high at all and are T-slotted on top to mount a variety of accessories. They also have some universal brackets on the ends that can be removed. I can imagine an easy mount of an awning or lights onto these brackets for ease of installation. I needed to actually remove these as they got in the way of the RTT install.

IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg

I Don't know where the picture went but it also had LED lights. They are just a strip light with hook and loop , so really you can move them around to fit your application.

Overall super happy with it. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  2. Jun 27, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    After the Shell install, I added a Silverwing RTT. I haven't played around with it yet and I'll wait until the first camping trip to take pics inside and give feedback. This is more for the mounting to the shell / canopy.
    Anyway, I looked at several RTT's. I really like the hardshell performance in the wind and ease of setup / teardown. Roofnest was on the top of my list. However, there is no way to send it back or warranty it due to a majority of shippers damaging the product (according to the website). So I purchased a Silverwing RTT from Costco when it went on sale. Great deal. Plus if anything goes wrong, I can take it back to any Costco. I really can't beat that.

So onto the mounting....
    The RTT was really light and my wife and I were able to put it on the shell. My crossbars have a mounting plate for accessories on the ARE CX HD. The screws for the mounting plate sat right under the outside edge of the RTT, so I took out the mounting plates to sit flush. Simple T-slot for the RTT and brackets for the crossbars. The ARE CX HD crossbars were perfect fit for the RTT and fell within the guidelines for minimum width , length , and bars spacing for a majority of RTT's.
    As I said, I'll post a more detailed review of the RTT itself when I use it a few times. Anyway, the install was simple and the RTT came with it's own ratcheting box wrench :yes:

Put a blanket down and slid it up with the wife and I.

Brackets got in the way.

Installed brackets, tighten and done!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  3. Jun 27, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Of course now I need to figure out the rear sag options. After adding the Shell, Decked system, and RTT, it's down about 1.5" or more. I have shackles on there now. Maybe an upgrade to coach builder or just airbags. Not sure of the pro's and con's yet. Please feel free to offer any advice or input.

4. Jun 27, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    Firestone ride rite airbags

Zero One Actual likes this.
  5. Jun 27, 2019 at 8:59 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    How do you get into the tent? From the tailgate?

6. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    it was $3200 total for the Shell and install. Crazy thing is all the options I wanted on the non reinforced shell came out to the same price.:crazy:

Black Wolf likes this.
  7. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    is that just 2 in the rear?

8. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    There is a telescoping ladder that attaches to the driver side tent opening.
    Here is a video that shows it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFFUkyIZNEY

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    Yessir! Easy install. Get the daystar cradles too.

10. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Cool. I figured that there had to a ladder but didn't see it anywhere in your pics. Heh...heh..

11. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    In this video you can see why daystars are used. Without daystars, the bags are connected top and bottom and limit articulation and the bags could expand too far and rip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MH4rE7GB_Q

Chrslefty likes this.
  12. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Yeah I went to google it and the first hit was a warning from Firestone that they aren't compatible with Daystar cradles. But it was a 2016 warning. I'm sure they've modified the cradle by now....right?

13. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:22 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Most guys on here use the daystars including me. I think firestone just has that as a "cover my ass". They pair great together.

14. Jun 27, 2019 at 9:30 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Okay. I’ll do some searching on this forum for info and integrating them with the no name shackles that came with the truck and an ARB compressor sitting on my workbench :). I’ve been slacking on the install because I don’t understand switch pros and s-pods yet. But only want to wire a system once.

15. Apr 25, 2020 at 9:08 AM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    Looks great! This is pretty much what I want for my 2020 DC. Any accessories or changes if you had a do-over (ex. double rear window t-locks, 12-volt power strip, double LED rope lights, fold down front window, etc.)?

16. Apr 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    No not really. I ordered the LED lights with it, and then ended up putting in bed lights under the rail so I could turn them in from the cab while driving. 12 volt outlet I considered, but didn’t end up doing it because I’m not using a fridge and figured I could use the in cab one for anything necessary. If I had a dual battery setup I would install the 12 volt with usb in the bed. I like the window locks just fine. I would never have anything besides surveyor windows (side opening wind wings) now that I’ve used them. They are awesome.
    the front window has a slider but not a fold down. They can’t put a fold down in with the HD frame. The window would hit the frame and you’d be unable to open it.

17. Jul 7, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    ssrgeoff

ssrgeoff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18' Tundra
    King, Method, Toyo, CB & TRD
    @NoRcptn Thank you for providing all this info... You helped aid in my decision and as you did, I will have a RTT going up top so I pulled the trigger and went with the HD model. The only thing I didn't see unless I scrolled past was what is the spread between the feet supporting the cross rails? I ask because I want to make sure the C Channels to mount the tent will not interfere with the post coming up from the HD skeleton to the cross rail. My topper was supposed to ship today so I am hoping within the next 2 weeks I can take delivery.

18. Jul 7, 2020 at 11:28 PM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Awesome I think you’ll like the setup. The 0F0687FF-5020-41F8-A8E7-ED67F9AA9467.jpg posts are about 38” apart. It should be plenty. I haven’t found an RTT that interferes yet. Most of the C channels are spaced to divide the RTT floor into thirds. I think I have about 8” of space in either side of the channels.

19. Jul 7, 2020 at 11:46 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I would go heavy duty leaf pack with shackles customized for your weight. Deaver, Alcan, Atlas leaf packs..etc

BigsToy likes this.
  20. Jul 8, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    ssrgeoff

ssrgeoff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18' Tundra
    Thanks again for that info. My RTT should be shipping today as well, so in the next two weeks I hope to have both arrive and ready to mount.

21. Jul 24, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    BGoodiE

BGoodiE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SR5 OR
    NONE! Lasted about a month, Firestone bags, Decked system, ARE CX HD, WeatherTech mats/rainguards, TRD RSB...
    Big thanks! I just got a '19 SR5 and require a topper for so many reasons. Almost all the same reasons. It's a real PITA trying to figure what make model trim will do just right for the RTT and dogs. This is exactly the same set up I'm looking for. To the T! Including the decked system. You sir have just made my life easier and saved me a pile of time researching what topper will work. You deserve a cold beer.

NoRcptn[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  22. Jul 30, 2020 at 2:22 PM
    ssrgeoff

ssrgeoff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18' Tundra
    @NoRcptn Thanks again... had a shakedown run this weekend with the setup. :thumbsup:

IMG_4685.jpg

AGTundra, mvetrox, Wallygator and 8 others like this.
  23. Jul 30, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Sick! @ssrgeoff What’s your suspension setup ? What are you running in the rear? Looks great!

24. Jul 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    ssrgeoff

ssrgeoff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18' Tundra
    Kings all around and in the rear I also have the Coachbuilder +2. But after the topper, RTT and Decked system I am going to need add something. Picture doesn't really show the sag it has... only thing that may come off is the tent, so looking into a Deaver leaf pack.

25. Jul 30, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Yeah I need to do the same thing I think.
    I just want to do it once without a really harsh ride if I take the shell and RTT off for any amount of time. It’s not in my immediate priority yet. The ride rites get it pretty close.

26. Jul 31, 2020 at 4:03 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    I have a decked system and a Leitner Active Cargo system loaded with rotopax and storage.

I went with firestone airbags and wireless compressor. I installed the compressor behind my back left seat in my Crewmax so it is never exposed to any elements. I got the coachbuilder airbag cradles and love it. I have about 10k miles under this setup. I have icon reservoir rear shocks and coachbuilder shackles also and a TRD rear sway bar as well.

NoRcptn[OP] likes this.
  27. Sep 3, 2020 at 5:57 PM
    ssrgeoff

ssrgeoff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18' Tundra
    Sorry don't get on here much but Ill look into that setup as well. I also have the Decked system in the back but it's not typically loaded with too much more weight... we'll see, I was just thrown an offer on my truck that I am seriously contemplating. Definitely will need to do something if I keep it. I can feel the weight going down the road and applying quick brakes.

28. Sep 30, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    BGoodiE

BGoodiE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SR5 OR
    NONE! Lasted about a month, Firestone bags, Decked system, ARE CX HD, WeatherTech mats/rainguards, TRD RSB...
    Just ordered this same cap yesterday! Thanks again @NoRcptn. Dealer said 8-10 weeks. How's that old saying go "Good things come to those who wait"

NoRcptn[OP] likes this.
  29. Sep 30, 2020 at 9:58 AM
    Macreggg

Macreggg TRD No

Member:
    First Name:
    Mel
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CM Super White
    wheels/tires suspension protection
    Just ordered mine too 2 weeks ago.
    Delivery is mid December...That's the only part that sucks. lol.

Also got some bed stiffeners from Victory 4x4.

NoRcptn[OP] likes this.
  30. Sep 30, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    Macreggg

Macreggg TRD No

Member:
    First Name:
    Mel
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CM Super White
    wheels/tires suspension protection
    How does the setup hold up off road?

I'm looking to fix that sag by adding the ICON CDCV rear shocks and ICON RXT leafs. I currently have Icon Stage 2 with add a leaf and a toytec shackle but pretty sure that won't hold up too well with the added weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top