1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A few question to 3rd Gen TRD Pro owners

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by ssls6, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Nov 9, 2019 at 5:26 AM
    ssls6

ssls6 [OP] Dr. Awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    South Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro CM
    Bakflip, Bedstep, Gulfstate stuff
    First, I've really tried to use the search but my skills are not up to the task.

I have a 3rd gen (2020) TRD Pro and have a few questions that could be easy to answer....

1) Does the TRD skid plate need to be dropped for an oil change? I see an access panel that I think is under the oil filter. I haven't been fully under the truck but can you get to the drain plug?

2) It looks like you must remove or at least loosen the front recovery points to drop the skid plate, is that correct?

3) I've looked at paint protection films for the front and I've read mixed reviews....looks bad after a few years, cost as much to remove as to add, ...is it worth it in the long run? You can fix a lot of paint chips for the cost of some of these films.

4) The recommended tire pressure seems really low (30/33). I've gone up to 35 for each for now as I've already ruined one tire by pushing a spark plug through it.

5) The truck has zero rake. What's the best way to get an inch of rake without a lot of modifications? Can the rear shocks take 1" of lift? Axle block? Shackle? ...

Appreciate any knowledge I can get

2. Nov 9, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    1) Dunno...
    2) Dunno...
    3) I’ve already got a rock chip; such is life. I’ve never used any front end paint protection. My plan is to just run with it and if it looks bad in a few years, I might have a color-matched Line-x applied.
    4) Yeah, the recommended tire pressure is nuts. I bumped mine up to 40psi, which is still well below the tire max. Steering is much more responsive now; less sluggish when turning.
    5) Interesting you have zero rake. I think I had about 1.5” when I took delivery and I measured 1” yesterday after loading up my truck box.

3. Nov 15, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    duerrs

duerrs Semper Fi!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra TRD Off Road & 2020 Tundra TRD Pro
    I have a 2020 Pro as well. I upgraded my tires to Nitto Ridge Grapplers which are "E" rated. I run 44 in the front and 38 in the rear unless I'm hauling or towing in which case I'll increase rear pressures. If you run the recommended PSI's...especially in the front, you'll buzz the edges off the tires. If you over inflate, you'll wear out the centers. You'll have to find what works for you and your tires.

I agree with the rake in this truck...basically non-existent. I added the Coachbuiler +2 rear shackles which increased the height by 1.25". It also greatly improved the handling...Highly recommend!

Products Discussed in

To Top