1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A different call from the dealership

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jstchilln, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    jstchilln

jstchilln [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Eastern Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4X4 SR5 Double Cab / TRD Off road Package
    TRD Pro Grille
    I got a strange call a couple of days ago from my local Toyota dealership. A lady from the dealership I bought my 2017 Tundra from called to remind me that it has been 6 months since I had my truck in for my free Toyota Care service. I let her know that I had very few miles on the truck (6250) and that I was no where close to 5000 miles needed for another oil change. She was definitely a saleswoman and she confidently let me know that even though I didn't need an oil change that there are a lot of things on my truck that they need to check to make sure it is operating properly such as filters and fluid levels. She tried to come off as they were very concerned about my truck and only wanted the best for me and my Tundra.

Overall I have a pretty decent dealership and I have felt confident taking my trucks into them for my free Toyota Care oil changes and tire rotations but after the 2 years on my past vehicles I do my own oil changes and I generally avoid the dealership like the plague. When I took my Tundra in for my first oil change the service manager told me that they used synthetic this time and that I wouldn't need to bring it in until I had 10,000 miles unless I had been towing. This was a first and I had the feeling that they were trying to cut cost and after reading a lot of post here I also knew that I had no clue if they REALLY did use synthetic.Also, I use Mobile 1 synthetic on the Subaru and change the oil every 5000 miles not 10,000. Even though I said that I have a trust level in my dealership this set off my bullshit alarm and I decided that something had changed at the dealership and I would probably do my own oil change the next time.

I have had several Toyota's over the last 35 years and I have never had a phone call asking me to come into the dealership. My instincts tell me that they are either hurting for money and will try to get me for a cabin filter or something else or they have a new manager at the dealership that wants to make his mark and bring in any kind of $$ he can. Either way I am suspicious and had the feeling I was being scammed.

Black Wolf, Pudge and NewImprovedRon like this.
  2. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Cold calls suck.

Watt maker likes this.
  3. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    dealerships around here always call me to schedule service...I tell them to pound sand...the Beast ain't going nowhere..I got my own local mechanic.

mtntop likes this.
  4. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    jstchilln

jstchilln [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Eastern Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4X4 SR5 Double Cab / TRD Off road Package
    TRD Pro Grille

Good point. In all of the vehicles I've owned I've never received a call kindly letting me know of a recall and Hey, lets schedule an appt. to get that fixed.

TheBeast and NewImprovedRon like this.
  5. Mar 23, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I had one of those calls .I was 1500 miles short of my 5000 mile mark. They said since it had been 6 months they would still change the oil rotate the tires. Also did the recall for the computer and I was out the door 45minutes later. They didn't even try to sell me anything.

6. Mar 23, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    You have not been scammed yet. I tell my servicing dealership (not one I bought from) not to waste my time and their time showing me a filter because I am not buying one there anyway. I think it is kind of odd that I have not heard one peep out of the dealer I bought from since I drove off the lot with the exception of "your plates are here". Right after I bought their customer service person sent an email stating that I would receive some details on Toyota Care. I never did so I replied that I had not yet seen anything. No reply back. It might have something to do with the fact that I gave them a bad review on Yelp because the finance manager tried to rip me off for $600. I sent the sales person an emailed expressing my distaste for what he did and all I got was "please don't give us a bad review because I will lose $300". I never saw a survey from Toyota so I never got the chance. I normally do not fill out surveys but the when I bought my Tacomas the dealership hounded me until I did. They finally offered a free tank of gas and I said oh OK.

Sunnier likes this.
  7. Mar 23, 2018 at 10:51 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    Same for me. FFV 5.7 supposed to be changed every 5,000 or 6 months, so I try to keep to this schedule. They do send me a card about service "specials", but no phone calls. I use their web page to schedule an appointment for whatever service I need and let them know if need anything special ahead of time (they did my bumper support recall, reprogrammed memory buttons to key fobs, fixed BSM error, updated calibration for Integrated Brake Controller, installed TRD Pro shocks...). Service writer makes sure appropriate tech is available with a little notice. One more free oil change...

My dealer does a good job - been using them for over 10 years when needed.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  8. Mar 23, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    Tony v

Tony v Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    Synthetic is easily good for 10k. Don’t waste your money on 5k changes when you have synthetic. Unless it’s a FFV.

9. Mar 23, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I got a call Last week offering a $19 synthetic oil and filter change. Tbey did try to sell other stuff to me when I got there, but did negotiate on tire rotation price.
    After it was all said and done with was $30 for oil change and tire rotation. Not bad....then they said I had an oil leak and wanted 80 bucks to put a dye (which costs $7) in the oil, and schedule another appoint to diagnose the leak. That made me mad cuz I don't think I have a leak.

10. Mar 23, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    The guy that has sold me this tundra and the previous ones is a friend on FB as well as most of the dealership and the owner, its a continual stream of posts from them and me about my next purchase.

11. Mar 23, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Perhaps she just thinks you’re sexy and wants to share a donut and some coffee?

12. Mar 23, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Not really sure why you would have change oil on FFV at 5k unless running corn

906UP likes this.
  13. Mar 23, 2018 at 6:58 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Because that is what Toyota requires.

Pudge and ChucklesToy like this.
  14. Mar 23, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I normally only put on 7 to 8 thousand miles a year .I change oil twice a year .I know the synthetic can be good for much more. I have the ffv but only use the e10 which is what's all around here . Just better to get it done than let it go and just sit

ChucklesToy likes this.
  15. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:06 PM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    What he said ^^^^

16. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Regarding synthetic oil changes @5k. I’ve been doing it since my first Toyota truck. Treat your engine good, and it’ll treat you good. Personally, I would rather pay a bit extra for sense of mind.

Noodle, NewImprovedRon and BTBAKER like this.
  17. Mar 24, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Sorry but I lol’d at this post. Guess I’ll be the one to tell you that synthetic oil can easily last 10k miles (that is the recommended interval by Toyota now so simply reading your trucks user manual would have told you the tech was honest) and there is no conspiracy here by Toyota to scam you.

The sales woman and the service guy who told you 10k miles is the new standard were both just doing there jobs...

She was trying to get you in for a free service, not sure how that comes off as a red flag but it sounds like they take that approach to try to show customers that they care. Obviously if they can find a way to make some money while you are in for the free service then that is nice but they aren’t actively trying to fuck you over.

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned any of this yet and instead just feeding into this BS conspiracy that your dealership is out to “scam “you...come on guys.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  18. Mar 24, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I just don’t see what they could try to sell him on at less than 7,000 miles that isn’t going to be covered for free...his truck is brand new still. Just sounds like the dealer is attempting to try something new by reaching out to customers and yeah ideally they want to encourage them to come spend money but just don’t get how it could be the case with the OP in particular. I think he was just a name on a list for a new marketing campaign. Nothing more nothing less. It will work on some and not on others. Either way they make some $$ and make people think they care so it’s a win / win and nothing malicious.

My main point was the OP was quick to throw out the word “scam” and acts like hes getting screwed over when in reality it’s just a new approach by the dealer to get vehicles in the service dept. This isn’t some huge scam.

19. Mar 24, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm confused, what's weird about this? The recommended maintenance schedule is every 5k miles for the Toyota Care stuff. At 5k they check fluids, rotate tires, at 10k, they do the same plus change oil. Repeat.

Seems like a good dealer to me, at least while the service is completely free. The only upsell I've had in my first three visits was a tire patch for a nail.

My truck kicks the maintenance light every 5k miles.

20. Mar 24, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    The 2013 tundra I had came with the 4.6 V8.
    That one got a service every 5000 miles but oil change at every 10,000. The in between service was to rotate tires and inspect fluids, its free so I took it in every 5000 miles, no big deal

My current tundra has the 5.7 and it gets a oil change every 5000 miles

21. Mar 24, 2018 at 10:03 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    th.jpg

22. Mar 24, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Haha all good either way Ron! Honestly not sure that our opinions differ that much I just think the OP may be overthinking it a little. There is definitely a motive behind it, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "scam" is all I really meant. Think this was more of an attempt to get more activity to the dealership whether it ends in them making $$ or not. You didn't come off as disrespectful at all, my apologies if I did though!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  23. Mar 24, 2018 at 11:25 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    PEACE ✌

24. Mar 24, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    Tony v

Tony v Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    I believe it’s in the manual.

ChucklesToy likes this.
  25. Mar 24, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    SMK Shoe

SMK Shoe Not New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Central North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD DC
    Step Bars, Rear Swaybar, 2,000 Watt Amp, 2-10" Subs, new door speakers, De-Badged, Hondo vent mounts, Calipers, 6112/5100 shocks, SPC UCA's, Front bumper, Bed Bars, bed rack, Fuel Rims
    The way I understand it, is that a 5k oil change for the FFV is if you actually use the Corn fuel. If just using Dino's then it is the regular 10K

906UP likes this.
  26. Mar 25, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    906UP

906UP New Member

Member:
    That is my understanding....and my Yota dealership Service Manager's as well. Mine is a FFV as are most in the Midwest, yet corn-gas is rare in my area. The only real difference between the 2 are the fuel system. I change my own oil, use Mobil 1 and do it @10K. Same as the 06 Tacoma I sold w/ 346K miles, no worries.

27. Mar 25, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    Ps3udonymous

Ps3udonymous Who is the smart ass that changed the title?

Member:
    It could be in good faith calling you, but what are the odds with a dealership? Slim... from my expiriences.

28. Mar 25, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    This topic comes to the front of the line every few months. Why do I change at 5,000 or 6 months. Because the Toyota 2016 TUNDRA FFV Warranty and Maintenance manual says to.

I have a 2016 Tundra Platinum with the 5.7 FFV. From the official Toyota "TUNDRA FFV Warranty and Maintenance Guide" that came with my truck - THIS IS FOR FFV ENGINES SPECIFICALLY...

Flex Fuel Vehicles (Use of E85)

When using E85 fuel, your engine oil and oil filter may need to be replaced more often. If using E85 fuel more than 50% of the time, change the engine oil and oil filter every 2,500 miles or 3 months. If using E85 fuel less than 50% of the time, follow the normal engine oil and oil filter change schedule (5,000 miles or 6 months).

So, it is pretty simple. I have an FFV...do not use E85...change oil and filter 5,000 miles or 6 months...done. I follow what Toyota recommends. If you do not have an FFV engine, then follow what your Warranty and Maintenance Guide states which is most likely longer intervals.

I believe dealer service marketing, whether it be from phone calls or discount flyers in the mail, are designed to get you in for service during warranty in hopes that you will continue using them for service after warranty. I have had very good experience with my Toyota dealer (and Wife's Honda dealer) and will continue to use them after the warranty - been using both for many years. Both of them have told me that I don't need a specific service that I was inquiring about (when I asked about cabin air filter change) until a later interval. They could have easily done the service and charges me...just sayin' not all dealer service is bad...sorry you guys have had bad experiences.

29. Mar 25, 2018 at 5:35 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    My dealer tries to sell air filters even when not really needed. After the first time trying to sell me I just tell them up front not to waste their time.

30. Mar 27, 2018 at 10:15 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I just scheduled my 15k service. I added a note in the comments that I had a FFV and the owners manual calls for 5k oil changes. I also added that I tow. I will see what they say when I take it in. They know it is a FFV because of the VIN. Service manager called me today and said the lube guys know to change oil at 5k intervals and that is they are doing. I told him that Toyota Care is not clear on this and just wanted to confirm that they are handling per the owners manual.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top