1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

7” BDS LIFT KIT

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TRD2016!, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jun 30, 2020 at 7:02 AM
    TRD2016!

TRD2016! [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax TRD 4x4
    What’s up everyone... hope to get some help here. I have a 2016 TRD 4x4 with a 7” BDS coil over lift with fox suspension. I’m running 35x12.5 Toyo open country tires and 18x10 with a -19 offset wheel. I’ve been having nothing but issues with the kit since it’s been put on. The alignment doesn’t last longer than a couple of days and I’ve had to take it back several times because the tie rods are hitting the coils. And it’s not when I lock out side to side. I can hit a bump and it happens. There’s creaking, squeaking goin on as well. I understand there will be some, but not as much as I’m hearing. Every time I’ve taken it back because of these issues, the shop has had to tighten everything back up. Not sure why that’s happening either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

BUGEATER likes this.
  2. Jun 30, 2020 at 8:49 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    I have a 7" BDS on a '16 as well. Love it. I'm not having the issues with tie rods hitting coils, but I stayed stock, I didn't get the Fox coilovers (though I'm considering going King coilovers sometime).

I've been told by some that the Tundra doesn't hold alignment very well when lifted. I'm not sure how true that necessarily is, but I've experienced issues with alignment as well, but not nearly as extreme as you're talking. Alignment not lasing longer than a couple days is pretty bad. Is it just drifting out of the lane when you let go of the wheel? If so, are you sure it isn't road crown? I have 37x12.5 Nitto's, big & beefy wide tires like ours grips the road a whole lot more than stock tires. More tire on the road will amplify the effects of road crown quite a bit. I'll drift out of the lane within a handful of seconds if I let go of the wheel. I recently made a ~700 mile highway trip, and was concerned that what I was noticing (lots of drifting to the right) was the alignment slipping again (after just having it done in November) as opposed to road crown. On my way to work this morning, though, I was in the far left lane on a highway that you can actually see the crown lean left...and sure enough my truck was drifting left. Whew. My point...if it's a slight drifting issue, maybe it's road crown?

I know we have a very solid and high quality lift. I've been told by several mechanics schooled in lifts that BDS is a very good, top of the line lift kit. That said, their tie rod ends leave something to be desired. I had to swap mine out after only 2.5 years - they were toast. I replaced them w/ BDS again, but next time I'm going with Coachbuilder. Much better quality & can get better alignment with them, too.

I hear some squeaking/creaking as well, but not as bad as you're describing. Some of it, I suspect, is the oem front swaybar (based on threads I've read). I recently greased the swaybar end links & waiting to see if that helps.

These are the recommended alignment specs BDS has given me when I called them about alignment issues I was having:
    caster as high as can
    camber - factory
    toe - 3/16"

Give BDS a call. They were very helpful and informative when I called them.

Not a whole lot of help, I know. I'm just an enthusiast, though. Best of luck dude & post your results...

3. Jun 30, 2020 at 9:36 AM
    TRD2016!

TRD2016! [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax TRD 4x4
    Yea... I can definitely tell when it’s road crown and when the wheels grab. You can actually see the difference in the steering wheel when it happens as well. I’ve been back and forth with BDS but haven’t gotten any alignment specs from them as of yet. Thanks!
    Definitely going to check out Coachbuilder for some new tie rods also! I’ll absolutely post up the results
    Thanks again

BUGEATER and Uhhhh.... like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top