1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5000 rpm with no acceleration

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Unda_the_tundra, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Sep 9, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    Unda_the_tundra

Unda_the_tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2012 tundra crew max
    Hello all,
    I’m stuck on this one. It’s almost like my truck is on limp mode when I get on the accelerator. Several warning indicators came on and Engine will rev all the way to 5000 rpm and but speed will stay at the same while on the highway, and won’t shift. Took it to the Toyota dealer, they told me to change the spark plugs. I did that and no change but all the warning lights don’t come on any more. Both autozone and O’Reillys say my alternator is bad, again the dealership says “ can’t find anything wrong” I’m under warranty and don’t want to keep spending my money on this. The photo I posted was when I got on it and there was no acceleration. When driving conservatively transmission will shift through all gears. Thanks guys.

E47772A8-505C-43AC-9C6B-2E6B5800D5EE.jpg

2. Sep 9, 2020 at 4:37 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Paint it black.

Actually how does your transmission fluid look?

3. Sep 9, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Fluid check, as mentioned, and what was the code before it was reset?

4. Sep 9, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    OleRed

OleRed New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Vehicle:
    RCSB 07 Tundra 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Are you really in 4Low?

GODZILLA and Black Wolf like this.
  5. Sep 9, 2020 at 5:01 PM
    Unda_the_tundra

Unda_the_tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2012 tundra crew max
    The dealership said all fluids were good. I tried to post a video showing I was not in four low, but I guess the file was too big? The codes didn’t actually pull up, until I took my scanner and dug a little deeper... the dealership brushed it off

679297B7-1282-409D-BCB5-E8F171971BC5.jpg

6. Sep 9, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    That's a pretty standard light to come on with the CEL... among others.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  7. Sep 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    OleRed

OleRed New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Vehicle:
    RCSB 07 Tundra 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Yeah sorry! I know you can manually shift through the gears in 4lo, but not in auto. It would of explained high RPM! Wish it was that simple though.

8. Sep 9, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    Go to a different dealership, literally everyone you've talked to sounds completely incompetent. My first thought is a bad torque converter, engine is unloaded and can rev out but no power is actually getting to the transmission. Regardless, I wouldn't touch shit if it's under warranty. Take it and have some dumb ass ride with you and show what happens.

P.S. - Never believe anything someone working at a parts store says, don't even bring them into the conversation lol

9. Sep 9, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Ya, I suspect that without an active code, you're going to need someone from a dealership to witness the behavior, or a data log and I'm guessing that a log won't make much sense to most techs.

OleRed likes this.
  10. Sep 9, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    I've gotten a CEL light on my Tundra before, but I've never gotten a C1201.... Not sure its standard... I also vote on visiting a separate stealership as its showing a code.... I'd advise you also check your Oxygen sensors to ensure they're good and not damaged.

11. Sep 10, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Who at Toyota told you to change the plugs? What they should have been doing is plugging in their computer to the truck and then monitored all of the sensors and valves in the transmission. They might have to take it for a ride to get all the data but they can do it. There's too many things that could be wrong to just keep throwing money at it. Personally if it's under warranty let them fix it.

Leo's first likes this.
  12. Sep 10, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    ...And they could've charged you for that too. Telling you to go home doesn't allow them to overcharge you...

13. Sep 10, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    I'm sure they would have. But if you go to the hospital with chest pains and they say "our free advice is to walk it off or we can hook you up to a machine and see what your heart is doing but it's going to cost you" which would you do? Clearly there's a problem that "spark plugs" was never going to fix. It could be a very serious problem that if not resolved could cost a lot more money. Paying for an hour of labor to have a professional gather the data and give you advice based on facts seams kind of cheap to me. But, as I said, if there's a warranty that's the route I would be going and let someone else pay (since I paid for the warranty).

Leo's first likes this.
  14. Sep 10, 2020 at 12:16 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Agree with the above. Make them ride with you and show them what it’s doing. Esp if it’s under warranty. Let them pay to fix it. Don’t waste your money.

Leo's first likes this.
  15. Sep 10, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    You should not have spend anything if it's under warranty. I'd call the corporate office and complain about what the dealer told you.

16. Sep 12, 2020 at 10:52 AM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    Does it drive okay when it's cold? Or does it do this immediately?

17. Sep 13, 2020 at 6:42 AM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    This... Call corporate and tell then you have a serious problem and the dealer keeps brushing you off. At the very least you will have filed a report with Toyota so you can pursue the issue for as long as it takes to get it right even after the warranty expires.

Also, is there a lemon law in your state? Typically, a lemon law forces the company to replace your new vehicle if you bring it in some number of times without it being fixed.

18. Sep 13, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    His truck is a 2012. What kind of warranty does he have? Might be aftermarket or through the dealer if he bought it used. He also only posted 2 times and hasn’t been back since thu afternoon.

Products Discussed in

To Top