1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 years of recurrent emission issues, with no end in sight. Solution?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Natapoc Mtn Tundra, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Feb 12, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    Natapoc Mtn Tundra

Natapoc Mtn Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC Limited
    dents and scratches
    Hi:
    I am the original owner of a 2006 tundra -- limited, 4 WD. 193,000 miles now. About 5 years ago a progression of emission system issues began. It started with both cats going out around the same time. Since then I've spend about $12,000 on it. Three different mechanic shops. They have replaced various pumps, valves, sensors, even the pipe where you fill the gas tank. Each cat has been replaced twice.

A month ago, the check engine light came back on. The engine went into "limp mode," lost power, and could barely go up an incline. This was new – it never went into limp mode before.
    The code that came up involved the secondary air pump. I just dropped $3,600 at two different shops, to replace the secondary air pump (the first shop failed to fix it, so I took it elsewhere). I got it back finally, and the damn check engine light came back on.

I feel like I am piling up my money and setting it on fire.
    It seems nothing is working -- they address the codes that pop up, but the same code or a new one pops up later.

It seems the root problem is beyond recognition. Does anyone have a clue of what the root cause of all of this is, assuming it is not just a long list of unrelated, coincidental failures? If the root cause cannot be properly diagnosed, would it be more cost effective to replace the entire engine, or the entire emission system? Does an engine replacement come with a new ECM and emission system? Cost?

Here's the list:

05/08/2015

H&O says code P0430 catalyst below threshold bank 2
    code P0455 -evap system large leak "find defective purge control valve

10/29/15

replace purge valve; fuel induction cleaning; timing belt

11/3/15

Toyota of Seattle: evap system failed test, gas cap leaking; replaced; then found catalytic bank 2 failed

11/20/15

H&O replaced both cats and O2 sensors $1,988

8/17/2017

code 0441 incorrect purge flow; found leak at gas cap; replace purge tank and gas cap

10/4/17

replaced fuel tank filler pipe (plus other non exhaust maintenance)

4/13/2018

replace both catalytic converters and thermo sensor. Note: "it is unusual for catalytic converters to fail unless there is a secondary fault. common faults: fuel delivery, ignition system and mechanical failure.

8/23/18

Toy of Seattle. "both catalytic converters are wrong for his vehicle. O2 sensors found plugged into the cats" [I later learned that the O2 sensor does plug into the cat, so T of S tech is just plain wrong.

6/28/2019

code 0420 catalytic system below threshold. P0441 evap system incorrect purge flow. Bank 1 does not match bank 2. Bank 1 O2 sensor has major fluctuation on steady cruise. more test, suspect failed cat bank 1, and recommended replacing purge solenoid.
    repairs: replaced bank 1 catalytic converter, replaced upstream air fuel ratio sensor; replaced vacuum switching valve

5/7/2020

code P0420 bank 1 cat below threshold; smoke test, no leaks; data from O2 sensors says not switching, rear O2 sensors had high voltage readings (stuck rich), technician says to replace both rear O2 sensors. Replaced BOTH rear O2 sensors and cleared code

5/21/20

Toyota of Seattle. Code P0430 bank 2 cat below threshold; its failing and should be replaced.

5/28/20

Greg's Japanese Auto, Seattle. Replaced bank 2 cat and O2 sensor (passenger side). They suspect the recurrent fouling of the cats is due to engine burning oil

9/30/2020

Greg's Japanese Auto in Seattle. Cats are ok; replaced the .....
    Did Hockett mess up the "purge flow" repairs in 2015 & 2017?

I haven’t updated the chart since 9/30/20, but as I said above, the secondary air pump code came up and I have had it replaced twice in the last month, but two different mechanics, and the check engine light came back on within 24 hours of the last fix.

I'd love to hear if anyone has a clue as to what is happening, and what I can do to get this fixed. Thanks

worktruckwhite likes this.
  2. Feb 12, 2022 at 11:07 AM
    worktruckwhite

worktruckwhite bryceCtravels.com

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Crewmax
    Following along in hopes you get some answers.

3. Feb 12, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    Roborob70

Roborob70 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    18 Toyota Tundra TRD
    Hey at least your saving the planet, while you choke on all the emissions from China!

dinosaur and DaWhiteTundra like this.
  4. Feb 12, 2022 at 11:23 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    Look up Hewitt tech. They make an air injection by pass kit for about $450 last time I looked.

You'll have that installed, and never have another problem out of the air injection system ever with no limp mode.

My understanding of what happens is water will get in one of the pumps, and it will stick open or closed. The system won't work, so your truck goes into limp mode. The by pass kit tricks the trucks computer into thinking they aren't stuck, and are working properly.

There are also some block off plates, and a few other things too that I don't have personal experience with.

@FrenchToasty @empty_lord

HewittTech01 and 5N0W808 like this.
  5. Feb 12, 2022 at 4:13 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    Are you in a state that requires emissions testing?
    If not just bypass everything and roll on.

6. Feb 12, 2022 at 4:25 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    With all these issues, how does your truck run? Sounds like your cats are going bad prematurely due to incorrect air fuel ratios. Hope you're using Denso/Toyota O2 sensors.

7. Feb 13, 2022 at 2:06 PM
    Riverdale21

Riverdale21 Speed seeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OTP ATL
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Dirt Deeds injectors, Addco rear sway, AEM dry flow air filter, last ever set of Stan's Try-Y headers, Borla full custom exhaust, front level, wheel spacers, and lots of electronics.
    I wonder if you don't have an electrical or grounding issue somewhere. How does the harness going to your ecm look, are your main grounds clean and secure?

8. Feb 14, 2022 at 6:56 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Yes, you are piling up your money and burning it. I’m not sure I’ve spent $12,000 repairing any/all of my vehicles ever combined. There is a root issue likely causing all of these failures and it has yet to be diagnosed. Truck is running rich? Or burning oil? Both should be obvious, As the smell, or the smoke would be easy to observe. Maybe the computer is getting bad info? Maybe the injectors are leaking? Maybe the MAF is not working properly? Your story is why I don’t trust mechanics at large. They don’t know the root cause and don't have time to find it. Just throw parts and money at it. Not sure where you can find a trusted mechanic to properly diagnose your vehicle, but I wish you the best of luck. I would have sold that truck long ago before I spent $12k on it.

Jack McCarthy likes this.
  9. Feb 14, 2022 at 7:41 AM
    EvilMilkshake

EvilMilkshake New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 AC Limited 4x4
    Ouch. As others have said, the bypass kit will probably work for you. If your truck is running fine (besides the limp mode) then install the bypass kit and move on. If your last pump failed because it blew itself up (common) you could have the same issue I did, in that the valves are stuck because there are plastic bits jammed in there that won't allow them to operate. In that case, the bypass kit didn't resolve my issue. Get the Hewitt Kit and give the dude a call. He knows this system better than all the mechanics you seem to visit. The kit solves 90% of these codes. If your valves are stuck, they need to be removed and cleaned, or replaced, which is one of the 10% chances.

Also, if your codes are coming back within 24 hours of getting it "fixed", they are hosing you and replacing the wrong parts. Codes don't tell you exactly what's wrong. They give you a place to start looking. STOP paying them until they fix it right. If they refuse, credit card chargebacks are great for this reason.

I haven't worked in a garage in 20+ years, but are most mechanics just shit nowadays? Can't fix anything, just replace what a computer tells them. That's not a mechanic, that's a Genius Bar employee.

HewittTech01, speedtre and KNABORES like this.
  10. Feb 14, 2022 at 7:53 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    This smells like a bad ground. Too many fluctuating answers from selected sensors.

Riverdale21 and shifty` like this.
  11. Sep 28, 2022 at 12:18 PM
    HewittTech01

HewittTech01 Dont Replace SAIS, Bypass It!

Member:
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kit
    @Tundra2 @5N0W808 We appreciate you guys spreading the word about the SAIS Bypass Kit. @natapoc I am sorry to hear you have been put through the ringer. We are happy to help trouble shoot anything with the Secondary Air Injection System and walk through the Bypass Options. I have included a few threads below with more information about the failure prone system.

What Does the Secondary Air Injection System Do?
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/what-does-the-secondary-air-injection-system-do.113683/

What Do My Secondary Air Injection Error Codes Mean?
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/what-do-my-secondary-air-injection-error-codes-mean.113686/

How to Fix Secondary Air Injection System?
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/how-do-you-fix-the-secondary-air-injection-system.113688/

5N0W808 and Tundra2 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top