1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharged 5.7 is backfiring at heavy throttle

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Brianwall81, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    Brianwall81

Brianwall81 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    2007 tundra 5.7 supercharged
    But its got a bypass kit

2. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    The actual numbers, they could be relevant.

3. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I have a bully dog tuner made for the SC that I don’t use that you are more than welcome to if it helps you out. Just pay for shipping and you can have it for free.

4. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I have a bypass too, there are still permanent codes. Just no CEL.

5. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    You may also need to verify that the block-off plates are installed, in case the PO tried to cut some corners. They can sometimes be the more difficult aspect of the kit. Any details that can be shared will help, however seemingly unrelated.

6. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    Brianwall81

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    Code is po419

7. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Secondary air injection system control "B" circuit, open in air pump drive circuit.

May be something as mundane as a broken/damaged wire. Honestly, I'm not going to be able to tell you exactly where to poke around other than that this system is on the passenger side in the engine compartment. It might not hurt to make sure that the wiring for the bypass kit looks like it's in good condition and all the connections appear to be sound. Some of the kit connections on my truck are at the coolant temp sensor at the front of the engine, and the MAF sensor on the air intake tube.

8. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    Brianwall81

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    That’s where my bypas kit runs also and has a harness at the mass air flow

9. Jun 24, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I guess that then maybe start taking a critical look at the wiring in the area of the SAIS to see if there's evidence of damage. Sorry that I'm not more familiar with that system to try to narrow things down a bit more. For all I know, that may not even be the next logical place to investigate. Maybe someone who's more familiar with it can make a suggestion. FWIW, I would think that you'll need to sort that out in order to have a go at the other issue.

10. Jun 24, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Brianwall81

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    I really appreciate it I have never had to deal with that type system either

11. Jun 24, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    No worries.

Maybe @Ruggybuggy has time to give your situation a thought. We'll see if he's inclined.

Brianwall81[OP] likes this.
  12. Jun 24, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  13. Jun 25, 2020 at 4:20 PM
    ViktorG

ViktorG Lexus/Toyota Master Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    World's fastest supercharged Tundra - 2010 RCSB - 10.8 @122 - All wheel drive conversion, lowered, supercharged 2008 DCLB - All wheel drive conversion, 13" lift on 37's
    Most bypass kits just prevent the pump from running by tricking the IAT sensor into thinking it is too cold outside during the start up. This does not prevent the pump circuit check from being run by the ECM.
    Thus, if either of the air pumps or the air pump wiring has an open in it, the ECM will set a P0419 or P0418 code.
    To diagnose this, you would need to measure the resistance across the air pump, it should be around 1 ohm.
    If the pump has an open in it, you could replace it with a 1 ohm heavy duty resistor since the pumps don't turn on anyways (as long as your bypass kit is functioning properly).
    If both pump resistance is good, it is probably a broken/disconnected wire to a pump.

14. Jun 25, 2020 at 4:31 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Greets Viktor!

I know that I kinda pushed that resolving the code is important, but might you be able to speculate how the code may or may not affect his tune or result in the symptoms he's experiencing, assuming that it's an atypical TRD produced tune?

ViktorG[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jun 25, 2020 at 4:45 PM
    Brianwall81

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    Yes please

16. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:07 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    empty_lord and snivilous like this.
  17. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:09 PM
    ViktorG

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    World's fastest supercharged Tundra - 2010 RCSB - 10.8 @122 - All wheel drive conversion, lowered, supercharged 2008 DCLB - All wheel drive conversion, 13" lift on 37's
    This paperwork, is it from a Toyota dealership?
    Does it backfire through intake or exhaust?

18. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:24 PM
    Brianwall81

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    Seems like through the exhaust kinda like bogging down

ViktorG likes this.
  19. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    Brianwall81

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    And no not from dealership

20. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Who?

21. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    Brianwall81

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    I’m not sure didn’t have a name so I am not 100% sure if it’s legit

22. Jun 25, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Is there text on the invoice that describes the work that was done? You may have to find someone that can check your ECU to verify that it was updated to a S/C tune.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    ViktorG likes this.
  23. Jun 25, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    ViktorG

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    Sounds like it may be running super rich.
    You need to find out what tune is in it.
    Normally a TRD tune can only done by the dealership, so if your invoice is from elsewhere, it may be a custom tune.
    Was it always running poorly since you got it or did it happen over time?

Wynnded likes this.
  24. Jun 25, 2020 at 8:06 PM
    ViktorG

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    P0419 will not affect how the engine runs.

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jun 25, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    Not entirely true, I was able to download and install the TRD tune using techstream and some cables from a local shop. Not to say I don't agree with everything you're saying, but entirely possible someone else put the TRD tune in it. I know there were a few iterations of the TRD tune too, when I had it my AFR was in the 9s at WOT though never had any issues like OP.

26. Jun 25, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    ViktorG

Member:
    First Name:
    Viktor
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 RCSB and 2008 DCLB
    For sure, by “normally”, I meant “generally”, but you are totally right, anyone with a techstream can do it.
    I’ve also had a number of TRD tunes in my truck and even though the AFR has hit high 9s at times, they have not bogged or backfired.
    Maybe the OP has a wrong intake MAF tube on it, causing it to run extra rich?

snivilous[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jun 25, 2020 at 11:02 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    I have an AirRaid intake/tube (had to cut the tube down a solid 6-8" to get it to fit after adding the blower) and never had any performance issues. Again, not saying that's not the issue, but seems unlikely that would affect the truck that much? Maybe it is the spark plugs like a lot of people said, a few months back I started getting a misfire under high load and it turned out it was a spark plug that was only a year old and cosmetically looked completely fine but for whatever reason started shitting the bed.

28. Jun 26, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    WOW, thanks for the enthusiastic response. Much appreciated o_O

AZTundra likes this.
  29. Jun 26, 2020 at 7:41 PM
    Brianwall81

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian wll
    Vehicle:
    Could it be that my bypass to the air induction pump is bad and where is joins into the mass air is giving false readings

30. Jun 26, 2020 at 9:21 PM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    Check connection...is it a "rigid" integration between main intake trunk and AIP merge pipe? Make sure you're not getting a crack or loose connections...always try the eaiest/cheapest things first...where you're suggesting is where I'd start...

Products Discussed in

To Top