1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 or no 4x4 please help!

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by El Cucuy, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:14 PM
    El Cucuy

El Cucuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 Cement CM 4x4 TSS Off Road
    Not Yet
    Hello I’m new to the forum. This is my first post.

In May 2019 I purchased my first Tundra having switched from GMC I figured what the heck tundras are beautiful trucks! I purchased a Cement Gray 4x2 SR5 TSS OFF-ROAD.

However, a couple of days later after making my purchase I said to myself “let me look on YouTube for some awesome mods to do to my truck”. BAD IDEA. During my search I came across something called over-landing and omg I fell in love with the videos that I began to have the itch to do the same, but I couldn’t. Why? Because I bought a 4x2. *sigh*. So now I really want to purchase a 4x4. And after owning my beautiful truck for a measly 5 months now I want to trade it in for a 4x4 just to do said over landing or just try to venture “off-road”.

I live in the city not much gravel where I live however there are trails out there I could explore, but my question: is it really worth trying to buy a 4x4 or am I just being stubborn?

I’ve never owned a 4x4 before and I just want to get perspective on this topic and having a TSS OFF-ROAD appearance package and not having 4x4 just seems weird but that’s just me. Well that’s my rant please help me either stay with the 4x2 or help me get justification to get a 4x4. Thanks for reading my rant.

[edit] I LIVE IN DALLAS, TX

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Black Wolf, Patch999 and Rica25 like this.
  2. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black - SR5 - CrewMax - 4x4 - TSS Dirty Seven Club
    Mahal kita Kuya
    Welcome from SoCal!

Even in city having 4x4 is better than not. And if you go on a trail, easy or hard, better to have than not. Your truck is still new and prob low miles. You will lose some money but if you wanna go off roading, better to have 4x4 than not.

porkitt, Migraine, 15whtrd and 6 others like this.
  3. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    NE_WARRIOR

NE_WARRIOR [HOONIGAN] Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Union, ME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5
    if you pick easy trails and have good tires, you should be able to go quite a few places with 4x2. especially if you live in a flatter state. I live in MA and with the snow and spring mud 4x4 is more or less necessary. but there's still some trails that I've made it up in 2wd while snow was on the ground and with half tread tires. its really how far you want to push your limits.

tundra_uso, K1NJO, Sunnier and 3 others like this.
  4. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    teedubbya

teedubbya I like fat booty

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo 4runner
    I had a 2wd crewmax that was plenty capable. With good tires and suspension, the truck can do a lot.

Unless you’re truly going to get into hardcore over landing, I don’t see a reason to take a hit on your truck and trading up.

5. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    NE_WARRIOR

NE_WARRIOR [HOONIGAN] Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Union, ME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5
    also this..... always better to have the option than not.

6. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    If possible, can you be more specific on your geographical location and terrain that you will plan on encountering?

Plenty of people (look on YouTube) overland in Subaru’s, vans and other two wheel drive vehicles. Will 4x2 limit you on certain trails in Moab? Sure. Will a winch help you out in certain situations? Sure.

Mathematically, you will need to run numbers on how much money it will cost you to go purchase a 4x4 versus how many times you will actually engage 4 wheel drive. Maybe you sell your current vehicle by owner and buy a 2017 or 2016 4x4 and make some money in the transaction. Or go rip up local terrain in 4x2 and go on foot from that point on. All
    sorts of options for you.

K1NJO, rmvcard0303, gosolo and 2 others like this.
  7. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    I have never understood 4X2 trucks. Not ever. Of course, I have always lived in mountainous country where it snows a lot. Rear wheel drive vehicles, especially pickup trucks, suck in the snow.

Get a 4X4. You won't regret it.

Black Wolf, MS22, Rica25 and 2 others like this.
  8. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    MAGDADDY

MAGDADDY TTC #280

Member:
    First Name:
    JON
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Platinum CM MGM
    Leer 100XL, Bedrug, Go Rhino running boards, LED int/ext lighting, Bilstein 6112/5100 1/2”shims up front, Coachbuilder +3 shackles, CB drop, TRD front/rear sway bar, 275/65/20 Michelin LTX M/S 2, sequoia painted mirror cap/door handles, Rago Fab low pro ditch brackets, Baja Designs S2 sports ditch lights. Baja Designs S2 sport rear flush mount pod
    I’m also new to 4wheel drive, had my first in 2016 and now my second. Went from a double cab to a crew for room. I live in a metro area too, without much off road areas. When I bought my crewmax I planned to leave it stock, but exactly what happened to you happened to me. As soon as I saw some of these far out places people were getting with built trucks, I quickly made up my mind that this was happening. I’ve done some good mods to get ready but still have several more items. Wow that was a long story, anyways, if you can swing it, do it!

Rica25 and El Cucuy[OP] like this.
  9. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    El Cucuy

El Cucuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    Not Yet
    I live in Dallas, TX. Sorry I didn’t post it originally.

Rica25 and 831Tun like this.
  10. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
    Just do it!

Pinay likes this.
  11. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:42 PM
    mountainpanda

mountainpanda New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White SR5 TRD 4x4
    Couldn’t agree more, always good to have

Rica25 and NE_WARRIOR[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:45 PM
    7.62Tundra

7.62Tundra Chromeaphilliac

Member:
    SA Texis
    Vehicle:
    2015 5.7 Crewcab
    Your truck will go where you need it to go. Sounds like you just want to spend money for something your not going to really need it for. No snow in DFW. If you are seriously just looking for something to play 4WD then you need to find out the limitations of what you already have. I thought about it and said it would be cool but that's about it on my 5 acres. I can't afford a new 2019. Looks like a solution looking for a problem

13. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:45 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    If you don’t want to trade it in, install an air locker and compressor. I’d bet you could go more places with 2wd and a locker than 4wd without.

14. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    If you fell in love with overlanding videos, just wait 'til you go out and try it. Chances are you're gonna get hooked.
    Sounds like you're gonna be making some modifications to your truck. You could add a locker and do gears for larger tires at the same time. 2wd is a lot cheaper when it comes to gears. However, putting money into a truck that ( IMO) you'll eventually end up swapping for a 4x4 anyhow might be silly.
    I think, before you make a decision, go try some mild off roading/camping whatever. Just be sure you're prepared, tools, spare tire, 1st aid, lots of water, recovery gear etc etc. Always best to adventure with a friend or group.
    After your trial period, then decide if you're gonna mod the current truck or swap for 4x.

15. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    El Cucuy

El Cucuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    Not Yet
    Very well put sir. And you’re right about dfw not much here. And I do need to figure out my limitations. Thanks

Rica25 likes this.
  16. Oct 16, 2019 at 7:02 PM
    7.62Tundra

7.62Tundra Chromeaphilliac

Member:
    SA Texis
    Vehicle:
    2015 5.7 Crewcab
    Sir you got a nice rig. Enjoy it. I'm jealous. I got my 2015 SR5 3 months with 75K and am very proud of it.

Rica25 and El Cucuy[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  17. Oct 16, 2019 at 7:12 PM
    El Cucuy

El Cucuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    Not Yet
    Thanks a lot for the replies. I’ve tried to compare pros and cons for 4x4 vs 4x2 and the costs for even trying to attempt over landing especially with the mods that may come with it also. Keep the suggestions coming if y’all can. Thanks again tundra-mates

Rica25 and MAGDADDY like this.
  18. Oct 16, 2019 at 8:52 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    ^^^This exactly!

19. Oct 16, 2019 at 10:33 PM
    TheFreshMouse

TheFreshMouse learning as i go...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mouse
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18 CM MGM
    Pinstripes
    Agree that your 4x2 is very capable as is. Even in stock config. If you are interested in mild off road (which can still get you to some awesome places) that’s all you’ll need. Go out often with others and learn your vehicle. You’ll have to drive a little differently than your 4x4 companions (like don’t put two tires in a ditch at the same time) but your skill can offset the lack of 4x4.

when I met @Sunnier she was the king of 4x2 and tackled more trails than I was comfortable attempting. I’m sure she’ll tell you too the trucks more capable than you know when in the right (knowledgeable) hands and surrounded by patient helpful friends

then again even @Sunnier has just about retired the 4x2 and replaced it with a serious 1st gen 4x4 with long travel.

hard to know how far you’ll get “hooked” into this... if you think you’re going in deep (and can swing it financially) maybe nows the time to make the jump to something that can hang with you long term. If mild Offroad is more your thing with more focus on destination than hard trails, stick with your 4x2 and have fun. Just know that most of us are deeper into this fun than we thought we’d get when we bought our rigs!

rmvcard0303, K1NJO, 15whtrd and 3 others like this.
  20. Oct 16, 2019 at 10:56 PM
    rmvcard0303

rmvcard0303 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra TRD Sport CM
    I’d rather not list. My wife might see it.
    @Zero One Actual Excellent post!!

Of course it’s easy enough to say that having 4x4 is the best option and having it is better than not having it. However, there’s financial ramification involved in the decision. If money is a non-issue then go for it. Trade or sell your truck and buy the 4x4 for peace of mind.

You will suffer the highest depreciation during the first few months of the truck; approximately 15-20% of the truck’s original value. That’s a lot of $$ lost. I can’t advise on what works and doesn’t work for going offroad since I am an absolute newbie but the switch now doesn’t make financial sense.

I’ve seen some 4x2s doing some nasty stuff. It’s all about the driver not the truck :)

Boerseun, K1NJO, Pinay and 2 others like this.
  21. Oct 16, 2019 at 11:33 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Haha! I agree with all of this. A 2wd will get most places in CA (Edit: and Texas), and you can have a great time learning to drive it where others think you “can’t”. But as @TheFreshMouse said, if you fall in love with the driving apart from the destinations, you may want to build an even more capable truck— at which point it’s nice to have 4x4.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  22. Oct 17, 2019 at 1:01 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    A locking diff in a 2wd truck and a winch will get you anywhere you dare go I would bet.

Black Wolf, Rica25, Migraine and 2 others like this.
  23. Oct 17, 2019 at 1:04 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    No details needed. 4x4 is more capable on and off road. I use my 4 wheel drive on road when weather conditions dictate. Nothing like rolling through a chain checkpoint on AT tires while all the two wheelers struggle on the side of the road!

Black Wolf, Rica25, Migraine and 2 others like this.
  24. Oct 17, 2019 at 1:08 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    :spy:

25. Oct 17, 2019 at 1:59 AM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    You're gonna take a BIG financial hit trading up to a 4 x 4. But, it also doesn't make sense to me to pour money into a 4x2 trying to make it overland and off road capable. Give me a 4x4 any day of the week. With a rebuilt LSD or locking rear diff. And a supercharger. And offroad suspension, control arms, and tires. And....okay, I'll stop. Point is, get something that can go anywhere without constantly having to think "can my truck make it through this?"

El Cucuy[OP] and Tundyfundy like this.
  26. Oct 17, 2019 at 3:01 AM
    Big Red 1969

Big Red 1969 New Member

Member:
    Welcome from Pa -- and I agree, always nice to have the option.

Rica25, Tundyfundy and El Cucuy[OP] like this.
  27. Oct 17, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    Glockmeister

Glockmeister New Member

Member:
    North of the summer hell
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Crewmax SR5 4X4 TRD
    Depending on the terrain, in 2wd you have to maintain your momentum. (really loose deep sand ferinstance)
    4x4 gives you the option of going slower in shady situations.
    Given the fact you already own this truck, get a winch, a portable air pump and see what it will do. If it fails to satisfy, you have options...all of them expensive.

28. Oct 17, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    I agree with this.
    Also, you can buy all of the parts to convert your 2wd to 4WD.
    New (used) trans with transfercase, front diff, cv shafts, front drive shaft and a shorter drive shaft for the rear.

Rica25 and El Cucuy[OP] like this.
  29. Oct 17, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Trade in the 4x2 for 4x4 and you won't look back. Better to have it and not need it, and not have it and need it. Owned 4x4 my whole life.

Rica25, El Cucuy[OP], Kerch71 and 2 others like this.
  30. Oct 17, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    SoCalPaul

SoCalPaul New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Access Cab Limited 4wd.
    Front Bilstein 6112 shocks & Bilstein springs. Rear Bilstein 5160 remote Reservoir shocks, Wheeler’s Off-road add-a-leafs. LED lighting. Pioneer Avic 7200NEX Nav Head unit. Borla cat back exhaust.
    Once you got the 4x4 itch you've got to scratch it. You'll never be happy.

That said, a long time ago, I read that 4wd just gets you farther from the tow truck.

Rica25, RLHULK, Tundyfundy and 4 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top