1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x2 vs 4x4 Steering Feel

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by beanders, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Sep 25, 2020 at 5:35 AM
    beanders

beanders [OP] New Member

Member:
    with the pandemic, etc. I am being discouraged to just go out and about.

So those that have driven both 4x2 and 4x4 Tundras, does the steering feel any different?

YardBird likes this.
  2. Sep 25, 2020 at 5:36 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Ive owned both, they felt the same to me

3. Sep 25, 2020 at 6:16 AM
    Coffee*8)

Coffee*8) New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crew Max
    + Trans cooler
    Had a 4.6 4x4 and now have a 5.7 4x2.

steering is the same 4x2 or 4x4 in 4x2 mode.

The 4x4 while actually in 4x4 mode can’t turn much at all. Found the 4x4 mostly useless in the snow unless you were going straight. Or on empty roads where can make very shallow turns.

Hbjeff likes this.
  4. Sep 25, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    beanders

beanders [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok, 20 years ago I was test driving Tacomas and the PreRunner had much more responsive steering feel. Maybe that was because of the TRD suspension too. Glad to see if you have a 4x2 in PA. I hope that means, it does fine in the winter, most people I know can't think of NOT having 4x4.

5. Sep 25, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    There was an issue with the steering racks back around 07-10 or 11. They’ve updated them and it’s the same part for 2wd and 4wd. So I’d assume like others said, 2wd and 4wd in 2wd would feel the same.

I use 4wd in the snow and it helps. Once I didn’t and slid in to a ditch. For where I live, 4wd definitely makes a difference.

6. Sep 25, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    Trident

Trident New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra DC 4X4
    :eek:

7. Sep 25, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    Coffee*8)

Coffee*8) New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crew Max
    + Trans cooler
    The 4x2 does fine in the snow.

When I got the 4x4 I was excited to use it in the snow. It does accelerate from a stop like there is no snow at all but found you can not take a turn with it on.
    Was turning right with 4x4 on and about an inch of snow on the ground. There was a car waiting to turn left on the street I was turning onto. I had to turn the wheel like normal and stay in my lane, but the front wheels in 4x4 mode cant do that, they locked up and I started to slide directly towards the car. I was going slow enough that I could stop and then waited for them to leave then used their vacated lane to continued on.

After a couple more turns with similar results on empty intersections I decided to use 4x2 mode. And that is what did from that time on. Use 4x2 mode in the snow and know in the back of my mind that I can be daring and use the 4x4 mode if I get stuck. But I never got stuck. As long as you take it easy (basically keep the RPM's under 1500) the 4x2 will go anywhere in the snow (and is also able to turn).

I find being able to turn is more important than being able to accelerate fast while driving in the snow.

If want car that is great in the snow, get a Subaru.

8. Sep 25, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    BecauseRacecar

BecauseRacecar New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4 Magnetic Gray
    What kind of tires were you using? 4x4 can only do so much in traction limited conditions, and I've had 2 Subarus before I got into this Tundra.

9. Sep 25, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    Coffee*8)

Coffee*8) New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crew Max
    + Trans cooler
    They were new all season tires. Used dealer put on new tires before I bought it. But issue has nothing to do with tires. If drive on dry pavement in 4x4 mode and try to make a tight turn the front wheels will lockup (well not really lock, right and left tires try to go the same speed and cant) and skid around.

I also tried the same on a 2020 5.7 4x4 test drive, so was not just the 2015 4.6 that does it.

10. Sep 25, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    While it’s the same result, I think this is a misconception. The front has an open diff so the front wheels themselves don’t lock together. Rather the transfer case locks the front to the rear and that’s where you get the “hopping”.

I also think it depends on how much snow and ice you have. I use 4wd anytime we get over 6” or so. It helps me. I don’t use it to go but to keep the truck driving straight. Yes I can tell a difference in driving using 4wd.

Anyway, the main issue is stopping. The tundra is heavy and does not want to stop on snow and ice. 4wd doesn’t help with that.

11. Sep 25, 2020 at 8:43 AM
    fbingha

fbingha New Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Seems that your problem was really with only 2" of snow, you are still mostly compressing the snow and making contact with the pavement, where the tires aren't allowed to nicely spin at the same speed in a turn. If you were to turn on mud, deeper snow, or ice, I'm sure you'd find that 4x4 would be more effective than 4x2 for turning.

If you're at the point where 4x2 is going to have a tendency to continue to push you forward rather than turn, it's time to bring out the 4x4.

Coffee*8) likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top